1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many minutes should Sengun play per game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dovahkiin, Oct 27, 2021.

?

How many minutes should Sengun play per game?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2021.
  1. 5-10

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. 10-15

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. 15-20

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 20-25

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. 25-30

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. 30-35

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. 35-40

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a lot of words to say "the percentages are right, I just don't think percentages are particularly useful." Which is fine, many share that opinion. You're not wrong, but neither are the percentages. I have some other gripes with what you wrote but I don't want to derail this thread into something political.

Not the worst player in the NBA, but the player that had the most negative impact. Those aren't the same thing. The impact of a player has context, whether its injures, apathy, being put into a new role, coaching, coasting in the regular season, there's a ton of stuff going on here. The implicit message is absolutely not "KPJ is garbage", it's actually "KPJ has had a negative impact on the court through four games." And that's true.

Yes. His NBA over/under win totals, which are based on the RAPTOR projections, have beaten Vegas in the past. I know for a fact that I tracked it one year (I think it was 2018) and his projected win totals went 18-12 against Vegas. I know he's also written articles or tweeted that his projections have beat Vegas as well. I'm not interested enough to go research the specifics, but I am pretty confident that you would make money (not much) if you bet on every teams over/under based on the 538 model.

#41 harold bingo, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    NewAge likes this.
  2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Adelman would indeed be a dream, offense-wise -- and I forget that he was actually good at developing Morey's picks.

#42 burlesk, Oct 28, 2021
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Adelman liked smart and unselfish players who could read and make the right play. And yeah, young players are usually not very smart. Sengun is one of the rare smart young players. Not sure about the other kids on the roster.

4. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yeah, watching Sengun evolve is going to be fascinating, I expect. Adapting to the NBA with his smarts and probably just enough agility and so on to make it work somehow... And not being afraid to bang down low (yeah, yeah) goes a long way too. The hustle, the never-giving up on the play... Maybe he'll put on 20 pounds of muscle? His positioning for rebounds has been good,

[​IMG]

#44 burlesk, Oct 28, 2021
    Easy likes this.
  5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I don't agree with the idea that Theis is unarguable far worse than Al-P almost in every aspect. I think in terms of potential ability, it's not even close in favor of Sengun but in terms of current ability, especially with experience considered, Theis is better at several things - he probably rebounds better, he probably sets better picks, he probably shoots 3 better (at least in-game), he probably provides more stability on the court mentally (a big part of a game and player development), he probably is more durable (this is to be seen but younger players may be more prone to injury than experienced ones)

22.5mpg vs 17.5mpg doesn't seem egregious to me

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

of all the probables you cited only 3pt shooting( jumpshootin in general) is true

as per durability thats an unknown for both players, we can only guess about it

BUT few things i am sure of:
    he doesnt rebound better than sengun
    he doesnt set better picks
    he doesnt provide more stability on the court mentally (yes its a big part and alpi is huge in that department, especially hes a lot better at it than theis despite being so young)
    [​IMG]

hahachui, wlekfjv923n and Joe Rocket like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

30- 35 He does get into foul trouble a lot but I would keep him in as much as possible til he fouls out.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I saw a defensive stat on here the other day that has him as one of the worst defenders on the Rockets lol Sengun was one of the best if not the best. Dude should be starting.

wlekfjv923n and hakeem94 like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Edit wrong thread

10. hahachui

hahachui Member

I think he need to play a lot. Theis better plays as backup C.
    Sengun just doing everything better than him.

hakeem94 and Dovahkiin like this.
  11. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

Another just 14 minutes game...!

He did so many good things in that limited time, shared the ball, scored, tied the game but Silas just took him out.

You guys may will say he got foul trouble (caused of refrees), but Silas does not choose him at the end, so thats not a point, he could give him more minutes or just let him foul out.

PS. Please do not say that Theis had a good game. Does Al P's minutes and development depends on our future "allstar wonderkid" Theis? If Theis plays a bit better, then Al P must play 10 mins? Why? For what?

JG and KPJ play always +30 mins even in their worst games. We do not keep their minutes limited because of EG or Wall.

Isn't that a double standard?

Al P must play more minutes whatever he have good or bad night, foul trouble or not or how Theis plays.

In my opinion Al P and JG must play especially at the end of competitve games, its very important for a player development.

Note: The point is not to be Theis hate or Al P's love. I just care about player development and the future of Houston.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly doesn’t look like he has the stamina to handle more minutes, and he turns it over more when tired. Give him a chance to get repetition.

Just give him some time, no one’s career was made or broken because they started a few weeks earlier or later.

dmoneybangbang and Easy like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

This. Patience with the rookies.

I think some posters can't grasp that the FO/coaching staff prefer the vets over the rookie.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s averaging way too many turnovers and fouls to get starters minutes, for now 15-20 mpg.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Depends on matchups. He's had some rough nights lately against bigger guys, also with turnovers.

It was smart for Theis to come in against Denver to bother Jokic down the stretch

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

All of them.

The fact Silas benches him consistently for the X amount of minutes of each game proves he needs to be removed from the position.

Imagine not playing your best young player, in a year you're going to lose 95% of your games.

Silas the utter clown. Over there on the sideline every time the camera pans to him always with the same stupid incredulous look on his face.

Ankara1923 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

16 minutes today. It's unacceptable.

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Yeah he played great and still can’t get much PT.

Silas’ rotation is horrible.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Last game he had foul troubles, so could kinda explain that. But this one, he only had one foul; he could have played more.

20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

JvG would say who plays the best defense gets to play more