1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many minutes should Sengun play per game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dovahkiin, Oct 27, 2021.

?

How many minutes should Sengun play per game?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2021.
  1. 5-10

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. 10-15

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. 15-20

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 20-25

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. 25-30

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  6. 30-35

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. 35-40

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

3. xaos

xaos Member

Lmao yes.

Between his "happeh", sprint motion, translator, and "get that **** out of here" he is the full package

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think he should play as much as his conditioning allows. As others have mentioned he does seem to be struggling with his conditioning at times especially with how fast the Rockets like to play. I'd only play Theis when Sengun needs a breather or is in foul trouble. That's a 30-35 vote from me, and then Theis at around 10.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We have our first ASOF, boyz!!

Check the sign up date! Oct 2021! Alperen Sengun only fan in the house!

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Nate Bronze says that Sengun is the best player on the rockets. :)

[​IMG]

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

I mean, Sengun is good, so that kinda matches the eye test… But Nate Zinc also said Dodgers were 70% to win vs Braves, Hilary was 80+% to be President…
    I wouldn’t put too much stock in these numbers. Also, no way KPJ is the worst player on the team… A few years ago he had EGo as the worst player in the NBA.. There is not much insight in these numbers.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol this almost 100% matches my eye test... i have a computer in my head!
    [​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

This but without defense and hard ball. How we play rn is definition of why people dont watch NBA like they used to

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man he’s just less experienced and language and all that. He’ll average 30 mins in the second half of the season.

Why’s everyone so impatient?

#31 Mathloom, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  12. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

I agree in that once he becomes league average at the 3, our offense opens up substantially. Going into games with the plan to shoot 4 to 5 3's a game is probably a good idea. He's definitely the kind of guy that makes positive things happen w
    And that's certainly the direction it will go, especially as his 3 ball gets somewhat more consistent (league average). So much positivity with this guy. I think I have multiple texts from each game thus far that goes something like "damn! he does so much and has so many attainable areas of growth."

13. harold bingo

Supporting Member

That's how percentages work. His track record, despite what you've said, is extremely good. If you say something has a 75% chance of happening, and you predict that 100 times, that means it should happen 75 times and it should not happen 25 times. If it happened all 100 times, that would make your prediction very inaccurate. People have gone back and reviewed predictions from 538 compared with real world outcomes and their percentages have been very accurate.

Anyway, that aside, you don't think KPJ has been the most detrimental player on the team? I certainly do. That doesn't mean he's the "worst player" on the team, but in terms of which player has had the biggest negative impact, considering role and minutes played, it's gotta be him. The growing pains were expected at point guard, and he's currently averaging more turnovers than assists, with more turnovers per game than any player in NBA history. Obviously it's early, and we shouldn't make too much of it yet.

If not KPJ, which player do you think has had the biggest negative impact on our team so far through 4 games?

Corrosion and jordnnnn like this.
  14. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

This. It's the political game. You can't sign Theis in the off-season and immediately bench him for a rookie. What does that say to future free agents?

Especially with all the work Stone is doing to make the Rockets appear more player-friendly (sending Harden, Westbrook, Cov, etc. to contenders)

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it says if youre not good enough you'll get benched in favor of better player...and its the right message to send!

you dont want free agents to think they can be bad and will still play? or that you dont value winning?
    you will repel superstars that way....

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

48 minutes per game.

Christopher, KPJ, Green, Sengun, Garuba.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon these excuses are so weak they dont even deserve the refutation

6 months headstart is sometimes all that you need to get ahead...

hes being punished for being good and i dont blame him if he bolts outahere.... its straight disrespectful how he was treated in summer league, preseason and now...

yall acting like silas has an eternity of time to make things right... well he doesnt... NOW, right this moment, in tonights game, you are creating your destiny and will you become a true contender or you gonna ruin your young talent and they will be mediocre or bolt outahere after their first contract...

postponing the right thing to do is not the answer...procrastination is not the answer...years go by fast...not giving maximum playing time and practice opportunity for your best player only means your not very good at player development ...

and the fact that youre not very good means soon you gonna be giving him more PT just to get rid of him in trades
    [​IMG]

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green > KPJ confirmed

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That Eric Gordon D tho

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Hi,
    There is no unique or useful insight provided by this analysis, he's been able to find a nice niche in life marketing bland number-crunching to a wide lay audience. We all know that Dodgers are stacked and maybe if they played the Braves 100 series, yes maybe they win 70. But they don't play 100 series. Insight that can point out to something idiosyncratic or peculiar about this one important series is a lot more valuable. Same with Hilary/Trump. The polls and the conventional wisdom had Hilary winning, and if she ran 100 times, maybe she'd win 80 times. But in that particular moment in 2016, his model provided no proprietary or unique insight as to why the polls and the punditry may be wrong.

Same when he had EGO as the worst player in the NBA. He was coming from an injury and had a horrible shooting slump, something that everyone could see with naked eye. Having some kind of a graph or ranking showing EGO being the worst player in the NBA was not explicitly wrong but gave you no useful information other than "EGO is struggling", and the implicit message looking at the graph (look, EGO is the worst player in the NBA) was definitely wrong.

Same here for KPJ. His turnovers are very costly, as well as him losing his focus due to emotion and giving up on defense and committing frustration fouls: these things impact the game outcome by a lot, so this is the obvious thing the numbers are telling you. But they don't tell you that he's one of our better creators and when he's cooking, he's elite. The implicit message looking at these numbers is "KPJ is garbage", which is certainly way off-base.

So in a nutshell, I think Silver is actually highly intelligent and diligent in his research, and I'm convinced that his models are very rigorous and numerically sound. But at the end of the day, it is bland number crunching that outputs trivial and obvious conclusions that provide no actionable or unique insight, and sometimes his model outcomes create wrong impression, even though in a strict sense they are not wrong.

(One way to evaluate unique insight would be this: Take for example MLB individual games, for which he publishes probabilistic outcome for every day, this is a massive number of games. Can I use his numbers to devise a winning betting strategy? I don't care if his numbers pick the winner correctly over a statistically large dataset. Do they beat the odds that Vegas bookies give us? Do they beat the conventional wisdom and crowd wisdom manifested in these odds? Of course, picking the Dodgers over a large sample size will eventually be the right call. But can you beat the discounted odds? That would be unique actionable insight.)