1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Many Games?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Apr 30, 2016.

?

When?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2016.
  1. 10 games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 20 games

3.8%
  3. 30 games

23.1%
  4. 50 games

26.9%
  5. All Star Break

15.4%
  6. Trade Deadline

11.5%
  7. Next Off Season

19.2%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So far, we have not blown up the team. We have not made major moves either. But at what point do we (or should have) decided enough is enough and do so?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Re-assess at memorial day, the unofficial real start to the season.

If progress is not being made in all areas (starting pitching, situational hitting, bullpen), adjustments commence.

As it is, I expect them to shuffle up some positions prior to then anyways.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

depends what you mean by "blow up" and "major". Manager firing and/or prospect promotion is on the table soon I'm sure. Those things should begin within a week or 2

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its sounds like "30 games" would be the answer for both of you then.

By major, I mean changing the roster in significant ways. Certainly a different manager would constitute "major" in my book.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Memorial Day is more like 45 games.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I just can't see them firing a manager a month into his second season, after making the playoffs in his first

Maybe I'll be wrong but it would surprise me quite a bit

Pettus should be gone QUICKLY

Giles out of high leverage situations

Marisnik replaces Gomez....and I haven't been a big Marisnik guy, but even if he doesn't hit he would be a big improvement over Gomez

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

AJ Hinch is not going anywhere during the season, nor should he. I don't think there's any chance we "blow up" the roster during the season, but if the slow start continues then moves will be made.

I'd say about the 50 game mark is when you have to say something is for sure not working. If guys have shown no turnaround by then, changes will be made. Basically the entire roster aside from Correa, Springer, Altuve and Keuchel is replaceable..

Still not close to ready to say we need big changes. The only moves I think should be made are Devenski given a few starts (already done) and Giles out of high leverage situations until he starts dominating like previous years.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Based on this small sampling, most here predict something (change) coming this month (May).

I really hope it can be figured out. Its just hard to envision how last years team, a team that seemingly was solid with just a few holes or areas in need of improvement could turn in one off season to this years team, one that looks like swiss cheese (holes everywhere).

1 person likes this.
  9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm with you, man.

Luckily, swiss cheese usually isn't the right analogy with sports. Typically, plugging up 1 hole and allowing lesser players to "move down" ends up plugging 2 or 3 holes. So I'm hoping LMJ, Reed, and Moran can cause a cascading effect across the board.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see your point. But of course, the opposite would be true also. Take a guy at the top (Keuchel last year) and reduce him (performance wise this year) to a #3 or #4 starter, and now you have created more than just one hole in the rotation.

I suppose this sliding theory applies in both directions any time there is substantial regression or progression by any player in the lineup.

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Keuchel seems like he's just in a slump - I don't think this is a permanent regression. He's not missing his spots by a lot in most cases. But because he hits the corners so well usually, if he misses by a little consistently, he has the potential to walk a bunch of batters. That's the issue here. Batters aren't overpowering him (he's only given up one HR this season). As far as the team goes, I think we will see some changes in the next 3 weeks or so if we continue to play this poorly.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, were at the 34 game mark. Either the brass isn't eager to make moves yet or there aren't any that make sense to make.

Guys on the farm struggling some doesn't help our option pool.