1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long will Tracy McGrady remain in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dave_78, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know we have killed the whole Tracy McGrady topic (several times) but there is a lot of disagreement over how much money he will be offered and how long he will continue to play. Let's see what the BBS thinks.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How about a poll?

Or Over under?

let's put it at 3

I'll take the under :)

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I totally effed the poll up before submitting it. Damn it.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Anyway, my guess is he quits around mid-season next year.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm going to be surprised if it goes very far beyond next season.

He's stuck between expecting a top role on a team and not even being interested in playing a role.

6. Chamillionaire

he won't play past next season IMO, a la sprewell.

7. Karolik

Karolik Member

One more year...

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He will be a great apprentice to Keith Jones.

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Interesting question. I guess it depends largely on how he has handled his money over the years. As young as Tracy was when he got his first multi-million dollar contract, I imagine he has squandered much of it without a second thought. You'd think making over $100 million dollars a person would be set for life, but its remarkable how many people find themselves with financial problems.

Secondly, I think its safe to say he doesn't want to go down in history as the only scoring champion to never get past the first round of the playoffs. I think that is motivation enough to see him at least another 4-5 years, provided that knee heals over the summer. He is only 30 and I think he is more than capable of putting up solid numbers in this league and help build a winner, although the high-flying 30 points per game All-Star is done. He is going to have to learn how to play without the ball in his hands and still be effective. Hopefully during all these injuries and letdowns, he has had time to mature mentally. I see a role for him very similar to Grant Hill. Funny how ironic that is as we'll never know how different things could be had Hill not battled his own injuries.

I personally can't wait to see how it all pans out. I don't think any team is going to be willing to offer him more than a one year $7-8 million contract with a team option. I'm still a McGrady fan even though I never want to see him in a Rockets uniform again, but I want to see him achieve team success somewhere else. Preferably in the East.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is his last year.

Contenders will not sign him on the cheap and play him off the bench.

Everybody else will not waste MLE on him.

Dude needs to down size his ego and I just do not see that happening.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

In one sense, you'd have to think someone would take a flyer on him for the minimum. But I was stunned at the Iverson saga this year, and that was a guy still playing at a decent level.

It's very possible he has to accept a contract that isn't fully guaranteed.

I'd think the Heat might talk to him. Lakers......I dunno. Maybe. He and Artest didn't exactly bond. I don't personally think his interest in the Magic is mutal.

I don't think a young team will be interested. I don't think a contender set at the 3 will be interested (and his defense is so terrible I don't think you can play him at the 2 anymore).

We'll have to see how it plays out. I think he's around with someone in November.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

If he signs with a team thats trying to lure people to games he's there from 1/2 season-a full season for maybe the veteran's min or a little higher. If he sucks up his pride and gets lucky, then he is maybe a 7th man on a contender. I then see him staying with that team the whole season to say he has a ring. If neither of those happen then we'll see him playing in Europe(probably the best decision next to playing for a contender) or the Rockets.*

* The Bayi Rockets of the CBA

13. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

he'll have to sign for the cheap and i mean really cheap or he can follow 'starbury' to china

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Next year will be his last. No GM wants any part of him.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Iverson
    Francis
    Marbury
    McGrady
    Wells

Dream team CBA line up?

Anyways he is playing next season. He probably doesn't care how much he makes until he sees the pay checks and begins to think its not worth it. If he doesn't quit (which he most likely will), then he is serious about coming back and getting another contract.

Either 1 year, or 3 years.

16. Crudder

Crudder Member

Here's how I see it playing out...and obviously, there has to be avenues for change.

First, he'll get signed to a minimum contract the following year, probably either to a contender or on the cusp-contender type team. He'll obviously play a diminished role for much of the season. If he is still injured and plays the way he is now, he'll probably shut it down close to the end of next season and call it a career. If he can play decently for small stretches (which realistically, I think is his best choice), then he probably will continue to be signed for the minimum to these contender teams.

17. jason3333

jason3333 Member

hopefuuly not long, if so i hope he comes off the bench and never starts

18. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

why are you guys wishing evil for t-mac? hoping for him to not last long in the league, less than a year or 2? what did t-,ac ever do to you guys? get over him and put this crappy thread in the dish where it belongs, STOP WITH THE T-MAC THREADSs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

never mind, it is already in the dish! but stop hating on t-mac!!! he is done with the rockets! HOW ABOUT HOW LONG WILL K-MART LAST IN THE LEAGUE

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Alot longer then Tmac will.