1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long should a GM get?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Beard, Jul 14, 2014.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I've been a Daryl Morey fan since we hired him. He certainly comes across as a very smart man

Most of the moves he makes, if you look at them individually, look really good. We can all (and have over the last 24 hours) talk about the handling of this offseason, the acquisition of Harden/Howard and all the other specific moves.

So let's leave all of the "we should get this guy, or trade for that guy" discussion in the other threads

My question is, at what point do you need to have results? We are looking at year 8, and have 1 playoff win (series). We are nearing a decade of his leadership

So as long as the individual moves look good, does he get to keep trying to make it work?

At what point do you need on court results, in order to continue to be the one leading the ship?

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I don't think you can look at the years of service in a vacuum.

He was trying to build around Yao and Tracy and then they both broke down. I think he has done a great job getting us from that tandem to this tandem. However, this offseason has been disappointing so far. I think he has to get us into the 2nd/3rd round this year or land a 3rd star this year. If not I think we should move on to another GM

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You can't quit on him now after getting two.

Let him finish his masterpiece.

If that masterpiece is a bust, that's when you let him go.

You won't know until you let him finish his work.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd give him til 2016. Let him stay as long as Dwight is here. If Morey screws things up to the point that Dwight bolts in 2 years(or we're forced to trade him before then), then he needs to go.

5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Don't fire someone unless you have someone better to replace them with. It'd be like replacing Adelman with McHale all over again but even more destructive. A bad GM can set a franchise back a decade. Just look at the Knicks, Nets, Kings, Timberwolves etc.

I still think we're very lucky to have Morey considering all he's done. I don't think many other GMs could have pulled off what he has in the last 5 years. Other franchises would be tripping over themselves trying to hire him if we let him go.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And let me just reiterate. I have issues with Morey, but the real problem remains Les Alexander. The analytics and Moneyball stuff is Morey, but the never-ending pursuit of stars in free agency and trades is all Les.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

10 years should be enough, if he cannot do more in 2016 off-season and still no Finals or championship, that's it!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You never let him go unless he wants to go.

Les and Morey should retire together or leave together.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The goal is title. Not winning. Don't forget that. Look at Hinkie right now, he's doing positive things for the franchise while losing. If you judge a GM or coach solely on wins and losses you're not a good owner.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Crazy that people want Moriee fired.

11. The Beard

I do agree with this, and not necessarily "giving up" on Morey.

I do think, though, that Morey loves making the big move so much, that even if he is able to pick up that 3rd star he wants, he might not ever let a team stay together long enough to have any kind of chemistry. Like I said in the OP, most of his moves look good, but it's been a while already and not much to show . .

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I agree completely. If Dwight or Harden bolts; then Morey's tenure needs to end.

13. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Correction, Les made him build around them and then told him to keep the team competitive and not tank and he still pulled 2 top 15 players out of his ass. This offseason was a complete failure but the guy has been a great GM.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Depends on how competent the GM is. Morey makes mistakes, but he hedges them as well as any GM in the league. If the team were to fire Morey, the odds are that we don't land a better GM. We were close to being a favorite to win the title, but it didn't happen thanks to Bosh preferring Miami.

15. The Beard

I don't disagree with that, but I worry that he thinks there is a quick fix way to win a title.

So let's say we go this season pretty much as is, add some quality backups and play it out (most likely senario probably)

Then next year we add a 3rd star, make it to the conference finals and lose. I'm not sure he would let a team like that have another year to gel. Not many championship teams win it all their first year together

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

As long as he's doing a good job on what he can control or someone can do better, there's no limit.

What's another GM going to do to close out a deal with Bosh? Tie up and gag riley? What's another GM going to do to avoid "basketball reasons" ? Tie up and gag Stern?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually I think I have more issues with his Coaching 'quick hooks'
    than anything

Rocket River

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Depends on if he is making smart moves. I believe only looking at the results is short sighted. Results are unfluenced by much more than how the gm is doing his job.

To me morey is making less mistakes than other gms ans more good moves. So i would not fire him.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey came this close to assembling a title contender.

Micky Arison's big-money panic probably combined with Bosh's wife's complaints ("Houston?! my hair will frizz!") separated us from potential greatness.

Back to the drawing-board, but remember, he got two great talents here. Let's see what the rest of the off-season and this next year bring before we take a giant dump on him.

20. conquistador#11

he came close to bringing a championship,
    he came close to putting an end to his tenure by sending cp flop to the lakers.
    In both instances, forces he could not control intervened.