1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long have you been a Rockets fan and where are you from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Born and raised in Houston.

I became a fan when I found out what basketball was.

Hmm, that was probably in 5th grade...but I do remember the championships.

2. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I'm from Colombia. Became a fan after going to a Rox-Clippers game in the 93-94 season in the Summit. First season as a fan and first championship! Of course, things have been a little tougher since...

Currently live again in Houston, still have hopes to see them win it all this year.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I've been a rockets fan since I started playing basketball which was like probably at age 4 or 5 when my parents bought me one of those plastic in-the-house bball hoops. Those were so much fun, I can still remember the old times. I am 17 years old now, and I'll be turning 18 in 3 days.

I was born in houston,TX and I've been living in houston,TX all 17 years of my life. I've been watching and playing basketball ever since I knew what it was, I think it was age 7. I've never had cable or dish or any of that and I still don't and ever since KNWS 51 stopped airing the Rockets channels locally, I was so upset and wanted to cry. I've probably watched every single game to this day too, with missing a few due to important reasons . . and you'd ask how!? . . Well, by begging and constantly asking different friends for different dates to let me come over and watch them if it's ok with them, asking neighbors if I could come over and watch, and luckily they all said yes. With the games that I missed, I needed to know what was going on around the NBA with the rockets, so I would always check nba.com, espn.com/nba and ofcourse rockets.com for any updates concerning the rockets. Anything rockets made me happy.

As I still do not have cable or dish, thank god I have DSL. Because for about 2 years now, I've been watching all my rockets games online, LIVE with video, and it's awesome! Now I don't have to worry about bothering people/friends in me wanting to come over and watch basketball, as I'm sure it was pretty annoying to them, but I'm happy for the people who did let me. And If I had dial up, it would not be possible, so again thank god I have DSL. Now I'm happy and at the same time I don't have to even care or worry that my dad doesn't want us to have cable or dish!

Also,I play basketball for at least an hour everyday after school no matter what. I've been doing that for about 3 years now, and might I add, I'm sick at shooting from beyond the arc, I wish one day I could take on Peja or Jason Kapono or Steve Novak, I have a feeling I could win :D, lol . I love basketball, I love the houston rockets, and I hope the rockets finally win the championship this year.

4. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Born in Dominican Republic, Moved to NYC when I was three and grew up a knicks fan.

When I joined the US Air Force in 99, the knicks franchise went to shambles after JVG left. As a result I lost interest in watching, between being stationed in Minot, ND and the team sucking so bad with no direction at all.

In 2002 I started going out with a girl from houston and started following the rockets because they were on national tv all the time since they drafted yao.

I became hooked after watching inside the nba and hearing all the negative criticism of the yao. I liked the whole under dog situation and I was rooting for him to make Barkley kiss the donkeys butt.

The organization is doing a great job while my other team has gotten worse :(

I love that they have gotten all this national televised games in the second half of the season since Im currently deployed to Iraq and cant watch my league pass. Ill be up bright and early on 4am friday as I have been since I got here to watch the Rox kick some mav tail! :D

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I have been a fan as long I have known how to be a fan (35 years or so of my life in Houston). I went to my first Rockets games a toddler at Hofheinz Pavilion in the mid '70s. I remember watching the '81 finals on TV. I went to some Phi Slamma Jamma games in their heyday. I camped out for Finals tickets at the Summit in '86 when I was 16. I didn't really start watching every game in the season on HSE etc. until around 1990 though.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

been a fan since the early 80's. Lived in Tacoma and had to watch the freaking Sonics always get the best of us for a long time. My step parents didn't have a TV (didn't believe in them) so I listened to the radio for most of my broadcasts. Heartbroken through the drug and injury years.. but was in Houston for the most important time... our championship years..

7. luv_supra

luv_supra Member

from Iraq, currently in Arizona.

Rockets fan since 2005.

8. fayesun

fayesun Member

from China, now in Vancouver. 17 now, i have loved this team since 2002

9. guangzu

guangzu Member

I'm 43, from China. Came to UHCL from URI con my 88-no-AC-130K-Mazda-626 the same month of Cat since Rams NCAA Elite 8 exploded the campus :) My first Rockets game "appearance" was 2002 pre-season with Magic, the day Yao arrived in gray sport coat, he seated 10 feet ahead of me, seemed enjoy the game and left at half time while I stayed there and wondered. Quickly become a regular since then. My work place is Kirby @ HW59, 2nd floor of Miyako, used to walked to Compaq Center at lunch break and grabbed a couple of $10 tickets, cheered for the rockets so hard that can't sleep and tuned in Channel 51 for midnight rerun, to hear the joke from Calvin! Such good times!

Now live in San Diego, follow Rockets every single game, TV, web(p2p from China), radio, saw a couple of games when Rockets played with Clippers, hard to get Lakers/Rockets tickets. Man, I miss Houston, a lot!

btw, my first post.

10. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Been a basketball fan since 1991, that's when I first saw Michael Jordan play and I was in aww. I became a Rockets fan in the 1993-94 season, and I did not miss one Rockets game that year. I remember watching Hakeem doing his famous dream shake and I would go outside with my friends and try to mimic his moves. Ever since then I have been a huge Rockets supporter. I love the fact that the Rockets are always the underdog which thrills me (I love the show Underdog but not as much as Thundercats).

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'm with the Phi Slamma Jamma era, i was in the same Psycology class with Hakeem in the 80's over at the UH. I was born a Filipino and a Catholic. Rocket's fan for 30 something years. And damn proud of it!! :mad:

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, raised in Galveston County, lived in Houston for ten years, and now live in Eastern Texas. I have lived in other major cities including, yes, Dallas/FortWorth. I have been a Rockets fan for longer than most of you have been on this earth. I saw Rudy play. I remember watching Bill Walton play against the Rockets at the Summit. He scored about 36 points, very impressive. I have seen all the Rocket's greats play through their careers: Calvin, Elvin, Moses, all of them. Followed the Dream's and Clyde's career's beginning at UH. Phi Slamma Jamma was the best college team of all time that did not win a championship. The Rocket's championship years were the high point of my fan experience in all sports at all times. Nothing like it so far as sports is concerned. I hope you guys get to experience it.

13. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Native Houstonian as my screen name suggests. I've been a Rox fan since they moved from San Diego in 1972.

I watched them practice all the time at HBU in 70's where I went to school. Saw Jack Marin and Cliff Meeley duke it out pretty good one day in practice (at a Baptist school).

Suffered through the 13 win season. I was fortunate to go to game 7 of the Knicks series and I'll admit I started crying when Maxwell hit the 3 with a little over a minute left (for years of frustration being removed and just tears of joy).

I'm mostly a lurker, but I bleed Rocket red.

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

born and raised on the pacific islands (mostly Hawaii and Okinawa)
    now in Denton, TX
    Rocket fan since Moses Malone era

and yes, I've lived in Houston in the early 80s

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Die-hard Rocket fan since the Ralph Sampson shot to eliminate the Lakers. Grew up in the Philippines....currently from Guam. Never been to Houston but one day I'm hoping to catch a live Rockets game.

16. Houston22

Houston22 Member

I'm from Slovenia.
    Started to root for Rockets against Knicks in Finals, then became superfan when Drexler arrived. Found this clutchcity.com site back in 96'(I think) and was really amazed when I could listen to games via links on this site. "Dribbling till offense siren faded away" era almost turned me away.

Oh and yeah, Malone bear hug still pisses me off.

I was banned last year here for a while for things I said that probably sounded different than were meant. I guess..

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

before I could become a Rockets fan.. I had to become a basketball fan..

which didn't happen until 1998, when I saw, for whatever spontaneous reason, to watch the Utah/Bulls Finals.. After that, I started following the Rockets just for the simple fact that they were the home team.. in 1999.

I actually saw the first Rocket's championship series on NBC.. unfortunately I wasn't into sports then.. so I had no way of appreciating the event.. I did see my friend though, who was a fan, go nuts..

18. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

A Fan Since 93' lived in Katy....worked at Academy on Mason Road....
    Moved back to Maryland in 96'
    41 yrs. old living in Towson, MD
    I visit the site daily...but as you can see hardly ever post..

Thanks Clutch!

19. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Born in China, working and living in NY Metro Area, have been following Rockets since 1994 (followed three teams, Rockets, Bulls and Nets), became a diehard fan the day when Yao was drafted, now Rockets is the only team I support.

20. Norway's Winter

half a year before Yao selected by Houston

and from Shanghai CHINA where Yao's hometown