1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long have you been a Rockets fan and where are you from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Born in Denver, raised in Salt Lake City, now living in Seattle.

Been a fan since '95. Any rational human being who paid attention to the NBA in 1995 HAS to be a Rockets fan in my book.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm in Austin.... sorry

3. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

So is anybody here from or originally from Oklahoma?

I need some connection! lol

4. Kamel

Kamel Member

Born in Egypt. Moved to Houston when I was a few months old and then at the age of 6 moved to Southern california

5. KnoxRocketsFan

born in Shanghai, Yao was my neighbor. Became Rox fan in Championship years. Moved to US in 99 and now in NYC

6. longbow111

longbow111 Member

From Ningbo,China. 36years old. Started to follow NBA late 80's when MJ was in his prime, thought he's bball god and Bulls was the only NBA team. Thought the reason other teams existed was to supply some opponents for Bulls to beat. Knew some other great players such as Hakeem, Clyde, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, etc. Since Yao was drafted in 2002, Became a Rox fan.

7. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Sooner born and bred :D :p

Anyways, I've always been a big fan of Tracy McGrady since his Orlando days, and when he moved to Houston, well, you know the rest.

Hey Jason, you excited about the Ford Center upgrades?

8. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

From Phoenix area.........fan since 1980.....i was 8!

9. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I've lived in Houston from 1974-1998...was aware of the Rockets when Ralph Sampson was a rookie and became a "fan" in 1986. I became a "real fan" in 1994...haven't quit being a real fan when I lived in San Antonio from 1998-2002, or ever since I moved to the Dallas area in 2002.

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Dude we're like cousins!

I was initially a big fan of Tmac too, then when he got traded here....well you know the rest ;)

Oh and about the Ford Center, I heard about the upgrade, but its not supposedly a guarantee yet.....but I am still hopeful.

PS : tell me you're not a sooner fan......

11. lovelyliang

lovelyliang Member

6 years as rockets' fan

come from beijing,China

12. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Ever since Ralph Sampson became a Rocket. Those days Rockets had Mitchell Wiggins, Lewis Lloyd and John Lucas.

I remember a Dallas-Houston playoffs game when Hakeem had 40 points and Eric 'Sleepy' Floyd had 42 points and the Rockets won that game. I think they lost the series though.

Cable TV wasn't available yet here in Manila Philippines, so I'd borrow BETAMAX tapes of Rockets games. Rockets-Jazz(with Mark Eaton), Rockets-Nuggets(with Alex English), Rockets -Sonics(Xavier McDaniel and Dale Ellis),Rockets-Mavs(Roy Tarpley, Sam Perkins, Rolando Blackman).

I'd also borrow a lot Sixers tapes. Sixer-Bucks(Barkley vs Terry Cummings), Sixers-Bullets(Jeff Malone), Sixers-Celtics(Ainge, DJ).

I'd always borrow at least four tapes per weekend.

I was thrilled when Ralph Sampson's miracle shot in Game5 of the 1986 Western Conference Finals went in. Boy was Michael Cooper was shocked. Of course the Rockets lost to the Celtics.

13. bostonadam

bostonadam Member

since my grandpa gave me a "melt the celtics" t-shirt in 1986, I was 6 years old. From H-town.

14. texastiger22

texastiger22 Member

Born and raised in Cypress Tx. Been a fan all my life but fondest memories are when I was 10 yrs old enjoying the 93-94 WC team

15. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

16. crazy_script

crazy_script Member

Born in Shanghai and living in Shanghai .
    Been a Rockets fan since 2002 because of Yao ;)

17. brooksstephens

Been a Rockets fan since as long as I remember. I was born in Houston, Texas, but moved to Lynchburg, Virginia when I was 10 months old, which is where I still reside(I'm 18 now). my Dad introduced me to the Rockets during the 93-94 season, and that's honestly when I started watching them. He got me a back 2 back champs t shirt that came down past my knees, and I wore it every night :D :D

18. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

houston born and raised been a die hard fan since 92-93 season when i really started watching basketball, i love my rockets!

19. kturner77

kturner77 Member

Wow... I have been a Rockets fan since I was 5 years old, a year after I moved to Houston in 1981. I remember sitting with my late father watching a game on channel 20 one night, and I was hooked. I have had the pleasure of meeting former players John Lucas at Astroworld, playing a pickup game with Lewis Lloyd, assisting Kevin Willis and Clyde Drexler at Neiman Marcus, and meeting former coach Don Chaney. Not all that exciting, but hey, I was a kid...

Growing up, those experiences were so special to me, because I love the Rockets. I am now 30 years old and have since moved back to Toledo, OH--LONG way from Houston, but I still follow most games online via ClutchFans, nba.com and chron.com. Thank God for the Internet! I am so exited about the current streak, now at 16 GAMES!! Franchise Record!! I think this team can go as far as ALL of them decide to go. They must continue to play as a TEAM and not look for one person (TMac) to carry them. (Neither can we as fans)

For me, all of this is special. I keep wanting to call my father to tell him about the last game, or the highlights, but I can't. I will watch and listen to Gene Peterson and Bill Worrell and think of my Dad who died last May...

GO ROCKETS!

20. monica

monica Member

I am from China!!
    Being a fan since 1999.