1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long has it been?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Realjad, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

How long has it been since we have had a gm that we absolutley have faith in and LOVE, for any franchise really? It's easy to make obvious decisions but comes up with stuff out of nowhere and you hate him for it just to eat all this crow when he works his magic w/it. I have faith in Morey from the moment he took throne.

He's been bashed time and time again but every move has a sense behind it.. Last years draft, Brooks and Landry payed off then he gets Bonzi back, nabs Mike James and brings the franchise in.. We love him.

He gets critic'd again when he trades Bonzi and James, when he brings us Bobby Jackson.. I don't think sactown would have traded Artest to us if it wasn't bobby jackson.

It seems every move Morey does pays off in someway no matter the incident aside from Francis who was strictly signed for the hype and money it would bring in off jersey sells and season tickets.

No more are the days we over pay and buy into the hype as a bail out that is Cato.. Moochie Norris.. Mo Taylor.. Stromile Swift... no no, we now have a plan for every move

2. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

agreed! morey is a genius. never really knew what gm was or what one did until we had morey. lol i know...sad.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not very long... I felt really good about this team last year when they were winning all these games in a row, particularly when Yao was still healthy.

But carry on.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

CD was a bum next to Morey. This guy is good, the ultimate deal maker, turns sows ears into silk purses.

5. kikimama

kikimama Member

I wonder how many times Morey sighed under CD.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I could do better

:p

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He certainly has earned himself the nickname "The Wizard".

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Short-term memory anyone?

9. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

No Doubt! Sorry but I was so happy to see CD go.

Thank you Morey!!!!

10. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

Morey is the man, he's so good its scary... He somehow is able sell people trash.

It's parallel to telling your younger brother, "hey, I'll trade you 10 pennies for that 1 dollar. Think about it, 10 pennies!!."

11. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

for real, im glad we have morey. 2 strait extremely productive offseasons. our 2010 offseason should be one of the most interesting ones :) .

go rox

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Too many GMs in all sports are good at personnel but not all that business savvy. I like the way Morey keeps pulling these astute business moves while other GMs just stand there with their thumbs up their butts.

I can just hear these guys smacking their foreheads with their palms...

Scola? For V-Span? {*SMACK!*}

Carl Landry? ROY candidate? With the 31st pick?!? {*SMACK!*}

Artest? For Bjax, probably-won't-ever-be Green and a late-1st-round pick? {*SMACK!*}

Hey, NBA GMs: HeadOn - apply directly to forehead. HeadOn - apply directly to forehead. HeadOn - apply directly to forehead...

13. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

What's been really nice about Morey is that he's done so much in 2 offseasons when I realistically had no expectations from him at all. Not that I didn't believe in him, but how were we supposed to get better with low 1st round picks and no cap space to sign free agents except for MLE/LLE? Plus, it didn't seem like we had any marketable players to trade away.

Well, lo and behold, he's found a way to draft shrewdly (Brooks, Landry, Green, Dorsey) and turn what looks like trash (V-Span, Juwon, Bonzi, Mike James, and Bobby Jackson) into our 3rd and 4th best players (Artest and Scola). I don't know that he necessarily had a plan for all this, but he has shown patience and ingenuity in finding ways to make this team as competitive as possible, and we haven't seen that around here in a long time.

I mean with all the random draft and trade ideas that we throw around here, he's come up with a totally unique strategy to make his moves that no one has been able to predict, which makes it all the more unbelievable. Keep it coming Morey! :D

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hunsicker made mistakes, but before Morey he was in my opinion the best GM the city of Houston ever had. Imagine how much Drayton harmed him by dealing behind his back, running his mouth to the media, and being an overall tightwad when it came time to sign draft picks and retain loyal productive stars.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I think a lot of people (including me) overlooked that when Morey first came. I thought he would probably good at evaluating talents with all the analytics he used. But what's more important is his business sense of gaining value in every move.

A lot of people doubted him for not being a "basketball" guy. But as a GM, being a shrewd business guy is more important because you can always rely on your scouts and coaches and other tools for talent evaluation. But you have to be the guy who make the business decisions. A lot of basketball guys GMs may be good at basketball stuff, but they lack good business sense.

16. BleedsRocketRed

It's such a luxury in sports now to have a GM as dedicated to adjusting the team constantly in order to win. So many professional teams in the league have incompetent GM's who don't do much if anything to win, or do much if anything in regards to drafting, and roster additions/subtractions. I feel as if we have one of the premier GM's in all of sports.

This guy is truly amazing

17. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

96-97 when barkley showed up?

or 98-99

18. BleedsRocketRed

Wasn't CD the Gm when we pulled the Barkley deal? Or was he still on the sidelines?

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

more like.. hey you got 2x 10's for a 5?

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Watching the Wizard put the smack down on the Spurs repeatedly is what I enjoy the most.