1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long do you give Adam Silver?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by FLASH21, Jun 4, 2013.

?

How long do you give until everyone hates Adam?

1. Day 1

40.5%
  2. 6 months

16.7%
  3. 1 year

4.8%
  4. 5 years

16.7%
  5. A Decade

14.3%
  6. Not at all

7.1%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Until the majority of fans detest and loath the man for making the same "basketball decisions" Stern has made throughout his tenure?

Will this guy carry the torch for Stern and become the new whipping boy of the league and it's "manufactured NBA drafts" and superstar free agent signings ala Lebron James/Chris Bosh??

Just trying to gauge how big of a wrath this guy will get once he makes his impactful basketball decisions.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He reminds me of Dmitri Medvedev, good little follower, but wanted to go in his own direction once handed the reins.

Except there will be no returning of the nba's putin.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Who is the most revered sports commissioner in the history of MLB/NBA/NFL? just out of curiosity. I can't think of any idolized figures in that field.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Pete Rozelle.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree.

Also don't remember hearing many gripes from Paul Tagliabue (sp?).

Hell even Goddell goes to him now for some of his Jedi Knight training and everyone still hates Roger.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I hope Silver makes strides in refereeing. I think they're making strides toward greater parity, but its ridiculous how long the end of a game can take with referees checking over video monitors on every loose-ball out of bounds. Several teams make use of technology that can tell where the ball is at every point in time. Why isn't the NBA making use of this, at lease in these instances. This game is meant to be played quickly with pace. The referees know this and they tend to influence games by asserting their influence over the pace of the game, and they are lax in the length of timeouts and how long they review plays.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

In addition, I think they should do something about how terrible the Eastern Conference is. The West is superior because of good ownership and good institutions in place for developing players. The East, not so much. Something should be done to punish bad owners.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think most of the hate Stern gets is a reflexive resentment of authority and doesn't have much to do with what he actually does as commissioner. So, Silver is going to get the hate just by putting the title in front of his name. He gets the hate now just by being the annointed one. It doesn't help that Silver and Stern both have the look to match the part of the villain. You just want to punch them in the face because of the looks of them. A Hollywood movie couldn't cast a more archtypical villain than the NBA has managed to do.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Silver would get between 5-10 if he WASNT following in the footsteps of Stern. I think it was in the mid 90's where Stern really started getting ire, urged on by none other than non-conforming bad boy Dennis Rodman's open bashing of him. Rodman wasnt the most convincing, but duped in just enough people.

Since Stern will leave behind a bad taste in people's mouths and pass that on to the next person, and because you figure that Silver won't do TOO much to try to CHANGE things up at the first -

I'll give it under 5 years. Between 3 and 5. About the same time as Roger Goodell, and the time that impatient society can allow. He'll get hate day 1 and on, but it'll take that amount of time to do something "identifiably" derided as a questionable decision.

#10 Shroopy2, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Judging a book by the cover is in this case unavoidable - the guy looks like a freak, a scientist ready to do tests on humans like they are rats while also resembling a rat (pink and the brain comes to mind here) and doesn't care what people think. He will probably be less hated but won't last long because he lacks charisma, personality, age and just doesn't have what it takes.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Would agree with that. The sentiment mirrors along with society's resentments of authorities, things like the "1%" and such.

It wasnt that Pete Rozelle & NFL spot was stainless. It was just needing Roger Goodell to come in to join the same dubious ranks of David Stern and Bud Selig (Selig I think lots more "blood on his hands" than Stern).

Game while IN-ACTION is better at a quick pace, yes. End of games have already notoriously dragged out. I don't know if that can change when the last 2 minutes means a majority of calls can get video review. The changes were brought in for a reason. Just have to hope over time like you're saying that they start to get more "efficient" with that time.

With all the NBA ref conspiracies, we've also quickly forgotten how BAD the REPLACEMENT refs were. Referees have unions too. I wonder if they have a say in allowing the devices and "automation" in. Though it probably wouldnt affect jobs and paychecks THAT much having out of bounds markers. (they actually need a possession arrow college style for jump balls. Instead of the antiquated time consuming jump ball)

THOUGH with timeouts and between periods down times, VERY small chance that time gets collapsed down. Thats the commercials and ads time there, any extended down time is money time. Commercials can be negated some by DVR yes, I don't have a study on it, but it'd probably make programs even MORE wanting to force in ads to compensate. Lets see if Silver has the stones to take money off the table for the fan experience pace of the games.

If anything, Silver is gonna bring in ADVERTISING LOGOS on UNIFORMS. And I'd bet 85% it happens within the next 5 years. That right there is where Silver will gonna get the public scorn lol. And rightfully so.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't trust him.

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

What I'm saying is that they should consider using new technology that has become available to make that call instead of reviewing the video. That would speed it up. The NBA should be considering this.

As for this, I'm saying they need to follow their own rules for timeouts. It's ridiculous that certain teams take a 20 second time out that takes 2 minutes.