1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long do we have to wait till we get great Centers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UtilityPlayer, May 17, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also the pg position is still the strongest... And some of those pgs are hybrids like Westbrook and curry... And some SGs are combo guards like harden.

The game is very guard centric now

Meanwhile there isn't even a center position at the all start game anymore

2. adobo

adobo Member

I think all of you are right to some certain extent. Rule changes and some of those Center's in the yesteryear were rare breeds.

But the biggest one I think is the "I want to be like Mike" effect that took hold of the basketball world for more than a decade which then passed on to the current generation who will then pass it on to the future generations etc... Kids growing up didn't want to emulate your Hakeem's or Shaq....it was all about "I want to be like Mike".

So I feel perhaps some of the fundamental skills in being a Center has declined because kids that had great potential being Center's probably focused too much on being the next Mike (which is impossible if they happen to grow into a 7footer).

Now today's kids want to be like Kobe or Durant or Lebron etc.. (players that were heavily influenced by the "i want to be like Mike" growing up). It has become a never ending cycle.

Just my opinion.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just enjoy hte game for what it is.

I'm glad LeBron is a perimeter player and not a low-post banger that he probably would have been made into 25 years ago.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is a great center right here on the Rockets.

But with the aging of the guys like Kobe and Wade, we may have wait a couple more years guys like Beal and Klay Thompson to further develop their skills for us to see the next great SG.

5. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member