1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long Before.....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Apr 15, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Phil Garner starts hitting Willy Tavares in the #1 slot and Adam Everett in the #8 slot?

I heard him on the radio this morning discussing it, saying that he didn't want to bat Tavares leadoff when he didn't have any major league experience, but he insinuated that this move is coming.

Thoughts?

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

i think we stink with this current batting order.....but we would stink less if we switched tavares and chris everett

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad to hear it.

What I really want to hear is about the trade that is going to bring some offense.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

We're not batting all that bad... if you want to see a team battiing poorly you should see the Cardinals and their 93 million dollar payroll hitting a whopping .228... and they've only scored 6 more runs then us.

5. msn

msn Member

That'll change. Hopefully the Astros' will, too. But, unless several break-out and career years happen, the Astros will have both hit and scored less than the Cardinals by the time October rolls around.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DON'T CALL ME CHRIS!

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Since Willy is 1-13 in the last 4 games I don't really see how it would help us. We just need Berkman and one more big bat in the line up. Just a question, but if we add another bat, where should he play? I like the OF of Berkman-Taveras-Lane. The obvious place would be catcher or SS, but where are we going to get a good bat that can play one of those positions?

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The most frustrating thing to me is seeing all the Pop-Ups that Adam has been having lately.

I don't mind him in the leadoff spot as long as he can at least hit some sharp ground balls or balls in the air to the outfield.

Consistent pop-ups on the infield are just unacceptable rally-killers and no better than a strikeout. I guess one positive is that hes not hitting weak ground balls like Mr. Double Play behind the plate.

I really don't mind the Astros lineup that much, and I think they can be successful given time, but Everett has to be at the bottom of the lineup, and Ausmus has to either get going or enjoy the bench.

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I have maintained since opening day that if Taveras is going to play everyday, might as well put in the leadoff spot. Everett should hit 7th and Ausmus 8th (9th when Backe pitches :)).

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Man, what a fresh, new idea. Welcome to two weeks ago, RMTex!

By the way - It's spelled Taveras!!! Get it right!

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

In fairness, it is his first trip to the forum.

Where are you when everyone gets the name of the freakin' owner wrong? At least Taveras is a rookie who just entered our radar screen a year ago...and that's just the diehards. McLane's been our owner for over a decade and half the people can't spell his name right.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're such a liberal (and MadMax) defender. RmTex deserves scorn for restating the obvious. :cool:

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You got me there. :)

14. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Like the rest of the national league?

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My question is how long will it be before Taveras leads off and Everett is in the 2 hole?

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

And forget about Biggio who's been our best offensive player this season?:rolleyes:

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I see it as sillyness and stubborness on Garner's part. I wanted to write a long take on this issue earlier but the thread stole my thunder.

I disagree with JD's rationale of the reason Garner has not done it so far. Switching Adam and Willie as well as Morgan and Jason is the right thing to do now.

Everyone knows this was an experimental move innitially and should be treated as such. Leading off is hindering and hurting Adam for numerous reasons including his mentality at the plate. He does not have the mind set to lead off and it affecting him. This should be the number one reason to do it. We have won in spite of this problem so we should not wait until we struggle to make the move.

I cannot stand watching this stupidity anymore because it driving me nuts. This is one of the reasons why I wanted Jimy gone and Garner is really making me dislike him. Trully I am sure I can stand him anymore. Forget those stupid traditions and superstitions and just do the obvious. It is not a panic move rather a progressive move for the betterment of the team.

I am really pissed now and my head is about to explode. The worst thing here is that we may continue to win in spite of and the silly Garner will see it as a reason to keep this rubbish lineup.

And oh please can Brad get injured and placed on the 60 day DL. We are living on borrowed times and the team managers are acting like we are it.

Leprose!

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How long before Garner moves Biggio to the cleanup?

19. Buck Turgidson

You are talking out of your ass.

You are not smarter than those in charge. Really, you're not.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What bothers me is that Adam Everett has never proven he is a lead off hitter. What's the point? He's not going to all of sudden become a good on-base guy.