1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Jeremy Lin’s career mirrors the current Asian American movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yoeddy, May 26, 2021.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Nah...Lin fans don't like it when people think Asian-Americans are foreign. It is the result of a "perpetual foreigner" stereotype that leaves Asian-Americans open to xenophobia instead of being accepted as the Americans that they are. Saying that "Lin Fans thought Rockets fans never had an Asian player" just falls into that mess.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOFs joined many many team sites because they think team only fans would accept them
    until they realize that LOFs never cared about the team and fans that Lin played for that year or year and half

LOFs made Clutchfans their sounding board for their insecurities and retweets of Lin's pray for me to make jumpers tweets
    @Zboy

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Tinman with 43% of the posts before this one. Still making the same negative posts he made anything associated with Lin several years ago. Making the online Rockets community a better place! This is not algebra two negatives to not make a positive ~ (
    LOF's + your posts)

yoeddy likes this.
  4. yoeddy

I wonder if Zboy gets tired of you tagging him in every post…

5. tinman

Supporting Member

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I use to have him on ignore, then I decided to not ignore him when I was missing out on the COVID thread in the hangout. He is a strange individual and I don't understand the trolling game he has going on here regarding LOFs, Elon, 99ers, etc.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Zboy

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been out of town and swamped with work recently so haven't been able to do much than just lurk on CF.net but since I've been mentioned in this thread a few times weighing in.

I read the article and it's a good piece. While I certainly wasn't an LOF and found many of them insufferable at times I too felt pride in what Jeremy Lin had accomplished as an Asian-American. Even though I'm older than Jeremy Lin and grew up in Houston and not the South Bay I experienced many of the same experiences that he did. The doubts and dismissals that he experienced through much of his career I too experienced myself. As someone who loved and played a lot of basketball I remember being told that "Orientals would never play in NBA". I remembering being told that one time after I had a particularly good game.

I'm not going to claim that I was remotely as good as Jeremy Lin and never even made it to playing high school ball. Whether I could've made it given the chance I highly doubt that would've happened. The point though was that even harboring the dream of being an NBA player was looked down upon and dismissed not because I was a short guy but because I was Asian.

That is why Jeremy Lin not just making it to an NBA roster but "Linsanity" was important to people like myself.

I loved Yao Ming and loved that he was a Houston Rocket, but to be blunt he was a freak of nature who had been plucked from his family at a very young age and raised by the CCP Sports Machine. Jeremy Lin's experience wasn't that. He worked incredibly hard and made the most of the opportunities that he had to get to where he was. Even though he was a CA champion he wasn't recruited by CA schools even my own Alma Mater CAL. Now Harvard isn't anything to sneer at but if your goal is the NBA Harvard isn't UCLA, Stanford or CAL.

The expectation on Jeremy Lin growing up was still that he wouldn't play in the NBA.

That he not only made it to the NBA, was a multi-year starter and legitimately had a period of stardom was a major achievement for anyone of any race. For someone like Jeremey Lin it was overcoming a cultural and societal hurdle.

Jeremy Lin obviously doesn't have the talent or ability to be an MVP or HOF. He is mediocre by NBA standards who had a very short peak. As fans we often forget though how hard it is to get to that level. Even the guy sitting at the end of an NBA team bench is someone who was already a star in High School and at the minimum a very very good player in College. I'm not going to begrudge general managers for not giving Lin a chance to be on an NBA roster anymore but I'm not going to dismiss what Jeremy Lin did as insignificant. As a Rockets' fan I was disappointed that Lin didn't lead us to more success but none of that diminishes Linsanity and that he did help change the perception of Asian Americans.

At the minimum there are Asian American kids who can look to Jeremey Lin and know that "Orientals can play make it to the NBA."

10. yoeddy

Well said. Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I trust your take over fake Rockets fans.

I give credit for him for milking his fame and fake mr christian persona to remain relevant and make money.
    and his team of course, because we all know it's not just him doing this.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When I finally broke down and got HBO Max, the first thing I watched on there was some romantic comedy series with Anna Kendrick; and there was a bar scene on one of her dates where they're watching a Knicks game during Linsanity. Imagine if Reality Bites or EDtv had a scene where they were watching Greg Montgomery get us good field position.

14. yoeddy

Palo Alto back in the late 80s/early 90s was not what it is today.

15. yoeddy

There you go again with these crazy comparisons... Isn't the first-overall draft pick supposed to have a longer career than an undrafted player?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Kwame Brown > Lin

17. Buck Turgidson

Boyhood was partially filmed at an actual Astros game at MMP (and about 7 other places around Houston)

Several movies were filmed in the Dome.

There are epic concert videos from the Summit.

Not sure about the Tilman Center.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes it was like Mogadishu

19. Buck Turgidson

If you ever want to talk to an actual Houstonian who was in fact in Mogadishu in the Rangers during what you would call "that Black Hawk Down Movie"...let me know. He's a Rockets fan from way back, he'd probably be able to explain how San Jose and Mogadishu in the 90's were a bit different.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

It was just like Gaza City