1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Jeremy Lin’s career mirrors the current Asian American movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by yoeddy, May 26, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you like have actual mental health issues.and don't have any support system outside of clutchfans?

2. Buck Turgidson

Picture the most tired, out of touch, stand up comic you can (Kathy Griffin, Carrot Top, George Lopez, etc...)

Then picture them recycling their 20-year-old jokes, every 5 minutes, in this thread, and thinking it's cool.

3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

So are you saying that people should not look up to him simply because he had limitations as a basketball player? That all role models and heroes need to be superstars? That the barriers he did break thru and the life experiences he had were somehow invalidated because he turned the ball over too much? Wow...

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Palo Alto =
    [​IMG]

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yao spoiled us so Lin wasn't some revelation. Although who didn't enjoy his 15 minutes of Linsanity? I was a fan until his wide-open lay-up attempt against Portland.

6. yoeddy

What does Yao have anything to do with Lin?

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I assume that's rhetorical. You can say, "well one person is Chinese and the other is Asian American," and that's fine. Definitely an orange and an apple, but @Astrodome makes a valid point in that we'd already seen the cycle of anti-asian (like literally ethnic) bias be broken when Yao's early performances embarrassed the likes of Barkley and others, even with the ass-kissing moment on TNT.

8. B-Bob

Wow, good call on Carrot Top comparison. I could see a balding, non-swole version of that guy posting madly and repetitively about 99ers or whatever. Yikes.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I owe Griffin and especially Lopez an apology.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't slander Carrot Top with that comparison.

11. yoeddy

I was thinking more like one was the first overall draft pick, a 7'5" center with international competition experience, and the other was an undrafted point guard from a weak D1 college division. Why the performance of the first one would set any kind of expectations for the performance of the second seems like a pretty big stretch to me.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's Yao's nickname in China -- Dà shēnzhǎn.

13. B-Bob

Not expectations -- I don't think I said that. But I think, for some ignorant people at least, Yao broke a kind of racial stereotype ceiling. Just my two cents. Expecting Jeremy to play like Yao would have been absurd.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin Fans thought Rockets fans never had an Asian player.
    Which is wrong.

They had an Asian Player from Asia named Yao Ming.

And Yao Ming was really a great player who didn't wasn't insecure and kept Tweeting bible verses when he had a bad game.
    Yao actually owned his performance either good or bad. He never asked Jesus for help .

Because Jesus already helped Lin by giving him 15 minutes of fame and Morey gave him millions of dollars.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

maybe you and Carl Herrera should try to recreate Gallagher's watermelon skits

99ers own

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao played for the Rockets
    and Lin played for the Portland Trailblazers
    @Zboy

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Well the article referenced Yao so I thought he was on subject. Off subject, but would the CCP let Yao get dual citizenship if he wanted?

tinman likes this.
  18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

China doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Hong Kong and Macau have historically not enforced the prohibition on dual citizenship (as HK residents born before the handover have access to British Overseas Passports and Macau residents born before the handover have access to full Portuguese passports).

But with the changes to Hong Kong, they've started to crack down on dual citizenship there too (mainly because the UK is allowing British Overseas Nationals from Hong Kong to immigrate to the UK). Macau is really the only place left in China where dual citizenship is being tolerated.

B-Bob and Astrodome like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao’s kid was born in Houston

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. China makes you pick. The US will recognize both passports but China will refuse to acknowledge that his son is a US citizen. This is common in a lot of Asian countries. Japan does the same thing. You can have a right to a second passport but the country itself will refuse to recognize the document (and in many cases will criminalize the possession of a second passport).

I myself have a right to a second passport but that country also doesn't recognize dual citizenship. This is a very common problem for a lot of people

tinman likes this.