1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Tilman Fertitta ownership different than Les Alexander ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That's happened a ton in the NBA. Not unique at all. And Mchale is still an idiot.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's easy to scapegoat someone once they are gone and make them the focus of your anger. You can create that narrative. But it's not rational.

Harden has some blame for sure, but to say entirely is ridiculous.

HP3 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you newbs know where the two championships trophies are?

1. Houston
    2. Hakeem’s house
    3. Florida

it’s 3.

do the lakers or bulls or lakers or warriors have their trophies in Florida?

/thread

DeBeards likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you trying to argue having Ariza instead of Ennis (he got traded mid season) and House (dnp warrior series) is the same thing.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Have you not been paying attention this whole season ?

DeBeards and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just the facts.

Harden demanded the trade happen or he be traded himself. That put the team in a no win situation. Harden demanded they destroy the team one way or the other.... how can it be anyone else's fault?

tinman likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying Ariza was a scrub who shot 20% against the Warriors and played no defense whatsoever, he wasn't the key to beating the Warriors because just about anyone could come in and suck like that.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m on the GARM every day I know this

it’s the D&D dwellers who are out of touch with the Rockets who are the main reason this board exists

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, Gordon flat out said that it was clear to him Harden wasn't checked in this season. This coming from a friend and guy who played with him for years now.

Of course the Rockets looked bad when one player was basically throwing games so he could get off the team.

BamBam, Bobbythegreat and tinman like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I also want to be real with all the delusional fans.

Harden was not a great playoff performer. He was an MVP in the regular season but that is a regular season award.

even that series with golden state. It was Chris Paul and Gordon who were our playoff heroes.

The lasting memory of last years Rockets playoffs?
    Dort challenging Harden.

People remember Hakeem in the playoffs laying waste to David Robinson

BamBam, JayGoogle and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I agree and also believe the same for Tilman.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

James could be schizophrenic in the playoffs AND ACTED AN ASS on the way out but, the Rockets also had 1 playoff series win in 15 years before the guy got here. Let's be real, he had an impact.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes he was better than Tmac.

14. xaos

xaos Member

I haven't read any of the comments, but it's impossible for me to truly know what is so different from them because I'm not sitting in the meetings or listening to their phone calls to see how and who is making the decisions. But, I can look at some of the common denominators and make some assumptions.

Daryl Morey: When Daryl was under Les he was a patient but extremely hard-working GM that would make moves that were very basketball savvy. Yes, he was talented with salary cap, contracts, things like that, but he was creative on those things to make basket smart moves. I felt like he would turn one asset into a slightly better one, and keep going until it turned into a useful player. I feel like he knew the value of players and wouldn't budge one inch on "winning" the trade (not to say he didn't make bad moves - Ryan Anderson). After Tillman took over, Morey all of a sudden seemed rushed. It seemed like he was losing trade after trade giving up draft picks just to unload players. To me, the Westbrook trade was the most apparent difference between Tillman and Les. In retrospect, James Harden pushed hard for the trade, but I feel like under Les, Morey would have been able to operate on his timeline and make a move that doesn't destroy our 2024 + future assets. Now that Morey is in Philly, he wouldn't even give up a package for Harden that was better than the one we traded for Westbrook! So, all of a sudden the poker-playing, calculated, stingy Morey is back?

Morey also straight up calls it a day one day to hang with his kids for a year just to end up the president of the Sixers a week later? Nah man, that's suspicious.

D'Antoni: It seemed like D'Antoni essentially hated ownership under Tillman.

Media: When Les was the owner, I felt like the Rockets weren't desperately trying to convince the fans of stuff that is simply not true. I don't know how many times I've read reports forcing the "Tillman is willing to go into luxury tax and it's not even considered in basketball decisions!" I don't believe Les ever went into luxury tax, but he also didn't send out reports every weekend telling the fans how willing he is to go into luxury tax. Tillman really, really, really, ... really needs to shut the * up.

The Toyota Center: Really? Your face is on the mural? Oh wait,... it's on there TWICE? I could have started with that. Com'n, man. No one is showing up to the Toyota Center to watch you play. If you're going to be in the public eye, let it be because of your passion for Houston, not because you are screaming for Houston fans to worship you.

Harden and Co.: Harden was quick to sign extensions under Les' ownership, but forced his way out of Tillman's. Was it just that time had passed too long without a ring? Was it ownership? You could argue either. I'm assuming it's straight up ownership.

bumbum09, HP3 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Les has his face on the mural first holding the two championships he took to Florida with him.
    And Les was larger than Hakeem on the mural.

Les sold the team cause he realized he will never have a cash cow like Yao again.

Les moving the team to Louisville was a serious consideration. People who were on this board from the beginning know. All the diehards know the real Les

DeBeards, xaos, Bobbythegreat and 2 others like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny how many people forget how Les handcuffed Morey from making the moves he wanted for fear they'd hurt the team's profits....

Team profit was always the primary thing Les cared about and that's why he'd never agree to tank to make building a contender easier.

Fans are delusional if they think Les wouldn't have forced the Westbrook trade to appease Harden....or that any other owner in basketball wouldn't have done the same.

The difference between Les and Fertitta is that Fertitta didn't fire Morey on the spot when China got mad at him and Fertitta is seemingly allowing the team to tank in order to rebuild more quickly despite what it'll do to profits in the short term

tinman and J.R. like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Les doesn't seem as impulsive as Tilman.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes
    Just because Bin Laden was bad doesn’t change the fact that Pol Pot was bad too

19. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the mural.

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are the same in terms of both being cheap and self serving, it's just that Tillman has a big mouth and a more public persona due to his businesses and family ties. A lot of the memes and narrative around Tillman on this site were pushed by a few members in the beginning and it stuck.

J.R. likes this.