1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Tilman Fertitta ownership different than Les Alexander ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Felt to me like Les always chased free agents (whether he got them or not) and was less involved in the basketball ops. Tilman proudly opening his mouth that he forced the Westbrook trade was a lot of fuel on the fire of fan opinion.

Various trades and signings like Knight Chriss, Shumpert, Carter Williams, Westbrook, Bennett, Ennis, McLemore didn't seem to happen in such high quantities other than the 2006-2007 era when we drafted Head and signed Snyder and fielded the worst Rockets team I've ever seen. But once Tilman took over it felt like the intelligence of every move was gone. As a fan I was left to try to find alternative motivations for every move.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Les definitely had a Halo for winning two ships and bringing in Barkley

With a new internet and without the negativity that comes with it, less people knew about his aggressive cost cutting and upfront meddling like getting rid of turbo and the cheap ass rings. The PJ unis were the main eyesore on off the court matters.

Despite some big moves, Les presided over a huge decade+ drought where rockets fans never saw the second round.

He did put Houston on the map with drafting Yao but that seemed like the best move at the time.

Admittedly it's easier to upgrade the franchise when you buy it for tens of millions than 2 billion. I guess both owners punched above their belts with their relative net worths.

What made those down years interesting was how Morty flipped assets during the off-season and gave fans interests in foreign scrubs like Sergio Lull. Les spent millions out of pocket because he trusted Morty"s claim that SRP were undervalued. You didn't see many teams burning millions in Scratch Lotto picks. Too bad Les wouldn't let Morty get legit Lotto Picks, and that's on the owner too

We're just in on that Greyhound, whether we like it or not.

durvasa likes this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

1) The best restaurants absolutely do not have high turnover. If you’ve only worked at Landry’s, you wouldn’t know this.

2) Shut up and listen is an extremely classless way of phrasing any intention, plain and simple. It’s not a misfire, you just don’t understand why it’s tactless.

3) I have no problem with rich people. I’m one of them.

4) you’re right, my business isn’t focused on religiously cutting costs, because that doesn’t work when you’re actually running a successful business.

5) A lot of people that work for him say he’s not a good person, but that’s not what I said. He’s a bad business operator and a bad team owner, and the evidence is slapping you in the face every game.

Why are you defending someone you don’t even know while he’s in the process of destroying the organization you’re a fan of? You’re not just oblivious, you’re actually a moron. Lmao.

Space Ghost and MettaWorldPete like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tillman's pathological need for attention and lying is already grating.

He might be putting his stamp on the team like Les but it's a hundred times more annoying and grating when he thinks his audience are slop eating morons

HP3 likes this.
  5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

leslie knew to stay out of the spotlight. i don't think tilman would be getting this much hate if he had just never opened his mouth and stayed out of the media.

Aruba77, apollo33 and HP3 like this.
  6. MettaWorldPete

I agree with essentially all the criticisms of TF, but the most obvious and seemingly undeniable difference, which seems symbolic of the other problems, is the nepotism with this son.

Vik, Aruba77 and HP3 like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mr. Tilman is trying to pitch a show called The Piranha Tank.

HP3 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Does new ownership even get talked about this much? Look at what happend with Balmer when he bought the Clippers. Now look at what happened with us?

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Donald Sterling was a worse owner than the McNairs so of course the Clippers situation was going to get better.

Space Ghost and HP3 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

But Balmer is also one of the best owners in the league

RocketsSZN likes this.
  11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Correction... Balmer is one of the richest. There seems to be a misconception that more money = better owner. While it doesn't hurt, there is no correlation.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah, Morey did those trades.... Stone is cleaning up the mess the last GM and owner left.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean Balmer is a better owner though, wether he is richer he also hired the right people

14. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

I always felt that Les ran a tight and well managed ship. Incredibly underrated how stable he kept the organisation with good hires and consistent leadership.

Its really hard to guage at this point how well Tillman has done in that department because he inherited the personnel and organisational culture.

But the biggest vibe I get from Tillman as a casual fan is he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I would want to work for.

Not a good thing

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Same way we traded Capela.

16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Weak and flinched What you call the contracts handed out to Asik, Capela, CP3, Ryan Anderson, Gordon, Jeremy Lin, etc.?

17. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

The worst people to do business with are the ones that promise you things to win your trust but in the end you find out they did not deliver fully, this person does this solely for their own financial gain.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Les, and have my doubts about Tillman, but whatever the latter's faults, he at least recognized when it was time to blow it up. You could argue that its his own fault that it needed to be blown up, but this era of Rockets basketball has show us that Harden is incapable of carrying a team to a championship on his own. he is certainly capable of carrying a team a long way, but when the biggest moments arrived, he simply faded.

So, he is who he is, a wonderfully gifted player, who needs someone of similar gifts by his side to compete at the highest level. CP3 was that player, but he has a similar legacy. frankly, so does D'Antoni, and for that matter, Morey. no sense in running it back, when they'd played out their string.

I'm happy with the decision to hire Silas, and Stone has already shown what he's capable of. let's give this team time to shake out, and see what they do with the haul of draft picks/swaps. We can wish Harden, Morey, and MDA well, but it was time to move on.

19. RocketsSZN

RocketsSZN Member

Balmer is absolutely one of the best owners. He has the money and he hired the right people. That’s what good owners do, they put their money in to improve the team, and hire the right people and don’t pick a pastor over the franchise QB.... sorry I went off topic.

HP3 and basso like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tilman repeatedly said he was a fan of the game but I never saw his passion anywhere other than going to the media running his mouth.

Put the money where your mouth is and Shut UP!

HP3 and RocketsSZN like this.