1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is having Artest on the Rockets going to affect our image

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okierock, Oct 12, 2008.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I am interested to see what the perception of the Rockets will be now that we have Artest. Are we going to now be considered "Bad Boys". TMac and Yao have always been percieved as "good guys" and that is kinda the way the Rockets have been viewed. We were the good/nice guys with Battier and Scola. Now we have guys like Artest and Landry or Dorsey that are not likely to be called "nice guys".

I don't wanna be the nice guys anymore but I don't wanna be the "thugs" either.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He'll give us the edge we need.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Since when did Landry get the bad rep?

4. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

ok we are not good or thugs. We are Gugs?? No, but seriously who cares. If the nba sees us as thugs o'well. same as if they see us as good guys. As long as we win on the court.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There'll be a range of opinions. Some that liked us before may dislike us now. Some who thought the team was soft, might now think its added some needed toughness.

We probably won't be "liked" as much, but I think we'll be more respected.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

He's going to change our image from 2nd round virgin to 2009 World Championship. That's how. :D

7. alcatrazpsycho

I think we will be respected. Simple as that.

We're balanced now. We still probably have the perception of being soft / injury prone, and until we play a full season with this upgraded squad without any kinks in the road, it's hard to say just how we're perceived.

One thing is for sure. We're no longer dark horses. The media may also shine more light on us now...

That both pleases... and worries me.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

image? who the hell cares?

you think the detroit bad boys cared about their image when they won 2 rings? you think shaq and kobe cared about their childish image when they won 3 rings?

if we lose, sure it coudl matter. but if we win, nobody cares.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I am loving it...Artest give us the tough image...not soft and nice like Yao and Tmac who keeps smiling and lazy eyes. This is a MAN'S SPORT, if you're to advance to another level....it's not good enough to be just tough minded...you have to show them physically that you're here to put fear down to their bones.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't think we should care as long the Rockets win a title.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Less likely to be punked in games the he and rafer play in. Every team knows that Artest is one the strongest players in the NBA. Add Dorsey and Chuck to the list and we have some hard fouls to give. About 18 to be exact.

We all know we were a bunch of stay puff marshmellow men.

12. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

any team with Yao is automatically disqualified from the consideration of thug team. i mean, come on, he is like one of the nicest person you can meet. :D

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

From what I've seen so far, it looks like most analysts like the team more now because of the toughness Artest brings. Along with health, that's really been the only thing holding the Rockets back from being viewed as an elite team.

14. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

everyone will hate the rockets.. calling tmac soft and artest a bully..

it will never stop.

15. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Battier...Yao...Scola...T-mac...brent barry...franchise...even dorsey's interviews are funny and self deprecating. We are overwhelmingly a team of nice, classy guys.
    Given that, I don't think artest makes the squad culture take a 180. Will we be a little meaner? I hope so. We have an (unfair, in my opinion) reputation as a "soft" team that artest shatters. He just provides enforcement for the nice guys. I think of it like the 80's lakers--just because magic kareem and worthy got surrounded by tougher, even "thuggish" guys (See: Rambis, Kurt. Rec Specs+ mullet = no nosesnse) doesn't mean that they become jerks.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't care how others view us. No matter how they say it the media will find a way to disrespect us. All that will matter will be winning.

17. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We ghetto now.

no just j/k,

I wish we where respected like the Spurs.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

This.

19. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

What's wrong with a milk & cookies image?

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

*thumbs up*