1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Denver playing so well?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Karolik, Jan 28, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I remember someone laughing at me in another thread when I said that Denver had the league's best second unit. They're a very deep squad, and Miller, Fernandez and Harrington are doing work coming off the bench.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

So, instead of one, there's only 2 that you can ever remember? And, I can't speak on 60's or 70's basketball. So, maybe I should have just said in the past 30 years or so. Or maybe I should say that they have a shot just an extremely unlikely, low percentage shot.

People didn't anoint Billups as a superstar after they won. And, I don't think it's as simple as just finding a superstar. You need a good team AND a superstar.

Look, I know everyone loves to see a bunch of good guys playing great team basketball, and if you wanna put your blinders on and go ra ra for that team when they pop up every other year, fine. I'm just being a realist.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Billups, Hamilton, to an extent Rasheed but with the Blazers were stars in their own right.
    Billups was a finals MVP and allstar. In his prime easily close to a superstar, hitting clutch shots like mad.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's a.... regular season thing too.

5. conquistador#11

if the commissar had a heart and truly wanted to make all the teams competive, he would do two things. Get rid of the series format and make it a tournament and Allow all teams that did not make the post season to have an equal shot at getting a top 5 pick.

Also, call the games evenly, get rid of the 'superstar' calls that the commissar says don't exist, but we all know better.

otherwise, i agree, they( teams like denver and us) do not stand a chance in the post season past round one.

6. rju1986

rju1986 Member

They've got a WHOLE bunch of solid players who will give it every single night. More ball for everyone NOW that Melo is out of town. It only makes sense to me.. Good job Denver, they deserve it IMO

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

the rockets have not played the new look denver nuggets yet since the camelo trade, I wonder how we would fare. The record is good but also has been a weak schedule.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

If you put NeNe in the right situation, he could be elite.

On the Rockets, he would have been.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lawson and gallo are playing very well. They come off the bench with the underappreciated miller and rudy have found a consistent role.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

but... but... but you need a superstar to be a championship team...

11. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Fluke. They'll be gone in the 1st round.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I like that Denver team, the only issue I see with them is at the end of a close game, who do you want to have the ball? Gallinari?

13. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-JkyLEtNXnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1st episode of The Association series featuring the Nuggets this season if y'all haven't seen it. Pretty good stuff. I like what George Karl says at 20:22:

"Everyone says you’re gonna have these three superstars on these three or four teams. Well, I’m not sure Denver is going to be one of those teams…so why should we build on that philosophy? My philosophy is, why don’t we go get a top 10 player at every position, and have a top 10 bench…that’s more realistic. And why can’t that win in the NBA?"

#53 redhotrox, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

let me know the next time Denver wins the championship :)

the history of the NBA proves that you need a superstar to be a championship team...at the very least, you need players playing at First Team or Second Team All NBA level.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe superstar w**** Daryl Morey should listen to George Karl.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If they keep winning consistently, don't you think a guy like Ty Lawson or Gallinari will eventually be seen as a superstar? Certainly all-stars...

17. Scionxa

Yeah, it's really good. I like that show. It'd be interesting if the Rockets were featured, it'd be neat to see some behind the scenes type of stuff.

18. Scionxa

I think Gallinari has a ton of potential

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I feel bad for Carmelo...

NOT

20. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

lmao. superstar w****