1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Important Is a Dominant PG? (Really?)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by el gnomo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

With all the crying about Jeremy Lin (and I will absolutely declare myself more a Lin fan than Lin hater), I figured it's time to look at the PG position. Also, I'm originally from South Florida (living in NorCal now (Steph Curry)), so I follow(ed) the Heat closely and watched them win a championship with Mario Chalmers. In this new day and age, it seems like PG is not as important as everyone makes it out to be. Of course it is still important, but it's hardly the be-all end-all. Jon Barry recently pointed out that no PG can shut down another PG, it's a team effort. Got me thinking... none of the scoring PG's win championships. Since MJ's first title in 1991, the NBA champion team has featured an All-Star PG ONCE. Tony Parker in 2007. Past championship PGs (and NONE of these guys are shoot-first):

1994 Houston Rockets 4–3 New York Knicks - Kenny Smith
    1995 Houston Rockets 4–0 Orlando Magic - Kenny Smith
    1996 Seattle SuperSonics 2–4 Chicago Bulls - Ron Harper
    1997 Utah Jazz 2–4 Chicago Bulls - Ron Harper
    1998 Utah Jazz 2–4 Chicago Bulls - Ron Harper
    1999 San Antonio Spurs 4–1 New York Knicks - Avery Johnson
    2000 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Indiana Pacers - Ron Harper
    2001 Los Angeles Lakers 4–1 Philadelphia 76ers - Derek Fisher
    2002 Los Angeles Lakers 4–0 New Jersey Nets - Derek Fisher
    2003 San Antonio Spurs 4–2 New Jersey Nets - Tony Parker
    2004 Los Angeles Lakers 1–4 Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups
    2005 San Antonio Spurs 4–3 Detroit Pistons - Tony Parker
    2006 Dallas Mavericks 2–4 Miami Heat - Jason Williams
    2007 San Antonio Spurs 4–0 Cleveland Cavaliers - Tony Parker
    2008 Los Angeles Lakers 2–4 Boston Celtics - Derek Fisher
    2009 Los Angeles Lakers 4–1 Orlando Magic - Derek Fisher
    2010 Los Angeles Lakers 4–3 Boston Celtics - Derek Fisher
    2011 Dallas Mavericks 4–2 Miami Heat - Jason Kidd
    2012 Oklahoma City Thunder 1–4 Miami Heat - Mario Chalmers

That being said, I do believe Lin can be the starting PG on a championship team. He certainly could replace Chalmers and win a title with Miami. So the problem lies in bringing in the right piece next to Harden... unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that... that's on Morey.

2 people like this.
  2. FearTheBeardJH

Lebron is shoot-first point guard. Chalmers is just spot up shooter.

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I agree except you are forgetting that Chauncey was a scorer to. I completely agree with your point, just saying its actually 2 scoring PGs who have won. Still a low margin though.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I see your point, but I don't consider Chauncey Billups a 'shoot-first' PG. He still always looked for Rip, Tayshaun, or Rasheed first. The only time he would take his own shot was on a transition 3. This is much different than say Westbrook, Lilliard, or Kyrie.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

If you want to be a smartass, this isn't working. LeBron is not a shoot-first ANYTHING. GTFO

6. valorita

valorita Member

A championship caliber point guard must be able to not be a liability on offense or defense and cause mismatches on a nightly basis. He should be able to control the pace and orchestrate the offense and be a leader on the court. That is the minimum requirement.

7. Postcall

Postcall Member

Mario?
    To win a chip you need to be on the best team period, you dont need to have the best at any position imho. I guess what you are saying is that there is a difference between championship pg and starting PG of a team that wins a championship right?

8. rockets13champs

2013 champs

C howard(sign)/ Asik
    Pf Patterson/ Jones
    Sf Parsons/ Morris
    Sg Harden/ reddick(sign)
    pg Lin/ Vet pg

9. rockets13champs

Quick fixes

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The position does not matter. You need superstar players, period.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree. However, if I need to pick a superstar I'm either picking a big man or a winger, unless the point guard is Magic or Big O, because as important as point guards are, a dominant wing scorer or dominant big man is devastating.

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yes. This is exactly what I'm getting at. I think dominant PG's can be shut down come playoff time, but there's not much you can do with a dominant big man/wing.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I thought Rondo and Billups where all stars when Boston and Detroit won...???

But nevertheless I see your point and I agree. Just need someone solid at the point especially having a combo guard like Harden in the backcourt as well.

14. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Redick is a low key move that would make the Rockets instantly better offensively and he could push Lin as the starting point guard as well.

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Wow, really? Push Lin out? That's going a little far. Redick would be here to play backup at the 2, maybe some spot minutes at the 1. They aren't going to move Lin to the bench for Redick.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I don't think Rondo was an All-Star their championship year. He didn't truly break out until the season after. Billups I'm positive was an All-Star though when they won theirs.

17. SK34

SK34 Member

Those point guards fit perfectly with their squads.
    It's about how the player fit in with his team and you also need a dominant forward or center along with that.
    Each team that won either had a dominant forward and center or dominant forward or center along with a dominant guard.

So does Lin it perfectly with the team once we get a dominant forward? That we will have to see. For him to fit in with the squad we will build, he will have to spot up more than this year and lead fast breaks soon as he gets the rebound. He will have to play the fisher/Kidd role for their championship year.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm too lazy to check, but I think Billups didn't get in to the ASG until after the championship.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah 2 years after their championship. Odd.

20. SK34

SK34 Member

Billions and Parker were the only finals MVP right?