1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dayop, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What?
    [​IMG]

Boomers still maintain all the wealth, all the entitlements, and a disproportionate voice in politics.

They're still the leading me-first class poised to bankrupt America and everything around them as they slowly fade away.

It's a big reason why the Tea Party movement and now the Trumpers have a middling but above average median income, senior to middle-age, disaffected white people who feel there's no future for themselves or whoever they deem is worthy to replace them.

#41 Invisible Fan, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    JeffB likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Quite.

It's a bit like the Crack and Heroin "epidemics". One is a shameful case study on finger wagging and head shaking while the other is moral plea to help save your neighbor or cousin.

Welfare itself has different connotations. Hand out to a sovereign dependent for some. An entitlement to legitimate citizens under hardships for another.

Maybe it's easier to spot because these issues aren't black and white anymore? America has been largely buffered from class politics that dominated Europe for the past 2 centuries because race had been inserted as its proxy.

If we were really post-racial, I'd see political divisions forming from the products we choose that subtilely distinguish ourselves (1 up) from others like 1 dollar bottled water vs 5 (tap is for deplorables), donuts vs handcrafted "artisanal" pastries, coffee/barista snobbery, etc...

Most Americans don't seem to care that billionaires buy uselessly expensive things like boats to sail around. Some even call that trickle down economics by ignoring how economies of scale work. What Americans do care about is how your neighbor needles you by buying slightly more expensive, yet still middle class, products that makes them feel better by making you not.

#42 Invisible Fan, Oct 21, 2016
  3. Dei

Dei Member

It's come to this. Asking Americans to make way for immigrants in their own country. It just doesn't get any more heinous.

When I said the second sentence, I was thinking about legal immigrants. But, yes, after the first sentence, the context changes.

Corrected. Mea culpa.

#43 Dei, Oct 21, 2016
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll ask you again what are you afraid of specifically?

If this is a land of opportunity where hard work is rewarded how is it asking for Americans to make way for immigrants. If an immigrant is willing to work hard and outcompete someone who has been here for generations how is that making way? Republicans for most of their history have argued that they are the party of meritocracy but now you're arguing that instead we need to protect a certain group of people. That we need to shield them behind walls because they can't actually compete against others.

For that matter when you say "Asking Americans to make way for immigrants in their own country." who are these Americans specifically that you are referring too? I'm an American citizen who happens to feel comfortable speaking Chinese when I'm with my family. Does that make me less of an American?

5. Dei

Dei Member

Well, duh. The immigrant takes the work from the American. The US is the land of opportunity but that doesn't mean you let everyone in. Just like any other country, its government should look after its citizens first. You give opportunity to your citizens first. If there is a shortage, then that should be the time you look to outside the country.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

So you're admitting that Americans can't compete against immigrants. You're essentially admitting the weakness of those Americans you are trying to uphold if immigrants can do a better job of seizing the opportunities that this country provides.

But besides that though why blocking immigration won't make America Great Again is that if you block people like my family who have helped to educate Americans, develop projects that provide jobs to other Americans and if you look at the hi-tech industry provide much of the brain power that fuels the development of the US economy.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The "hi-tech" industry is incredibly racist towards American blacks and latinos. Dog whistle much?

8. Dei

Dei Member

Not everyone in America is a genius. Doesn't mean the country should just abandon them. Bottom rung Americans will not be able to compete with the best other countries have to offer, who want to migrate here. But again, their forebears helped build this country and they pay tax so it's only proper they be able to demand from the government to work to give them social and financial security, not foreigners.

Like I said before, if we really do have a skills shortage, then that's the time we take on skilled migrants. But it's also a problem that we're not training enough of these people.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

African-Americans and Hispanics might have trouble getting proportionate corporate roles in any competitive division or product group of any high-profile industry, but obviously more-so in one that requires skills contained in one or two specific majors. There is not a sufficient overlap of African-American high school, baccalaureate or masters-level program graduates in computer science, electrical engineering or software engineering to ensure proportional placement on a 250- or 1,000-to-1 applicant ratio for posted positions.

Your last stab at this dubious claim was less circumspect in highlighting the electoral "liberalism" of Silicon Valley rather than the tech-industry as a whole. You separately whined about H1-B visas and passive-aggressively implied foreign born blacks were more qualified for these roles than the black residents born natively. So without admitting it here, it's obvious you are more concerned about attaching workplace discrimination to political liberals and about well-paying jobs being "stolen" from whites by East Indians and East Asians; and your concern for blacks rings hollow when you insinuate that of black applicants, the 90% who were born here are less qualified for these roles.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Make America weak by catering to weaklings and laggards? Is that what you are? Is that why you're so scared? You know closing our country to the best and brightest the world has to offer is just another form of handout, right? Is that what you're expecting, a handout?

bacliff likes this.
  11. Cohete Rojo

As anecdotal evidence, we have a CF member here who claims to work in the "hi-tech" industry in "Silicon Valley" - Northside Storm. He does not have an engineering or science degree. He does not know how to program. He is NOT an American. In fact, Northside is NOT East Indians or East Asians - he is Canadian.

Anyway, what I do not find particularly amusing is the number of CF members who are critical of the "education system" and the need to fix the "education system" - and yet in the same argument lament the need to have more H1-B immigrants. Nothing like "fixing" a problem by literally "sweeping" people aside.

It is a modern-day form of "red lining" which draws upon a Civil Rights Era law. Does anyone find it the least bit coincidental that the H1-B law stems from an era in which new laws were set to garuntee protections from workplace discrimination? So prior to the Civil Rights Era, the US had no need to "stay competitive", "keep ahead of the competition", or "have the best and brightest" come to this country, apparently.

Dei likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Why do the average Trump supporters make significantly more than the Clinton supporters?

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, I hope he is alright - hasn't been here in about 4 months.

14. MystikArkitect

The immigrant "takes" it?

Or a wealthier American "patriot" gives it to him or her because he appreciates the cheap labor? How do folks like you believe immigrants get work here anyhow? You think there is a large base of immigrants giving other immigrants work and keeping it away from disenfranchised whites?

15. Invisible Fan

Ditto.

Maybe he did the smart thing and avoid these boards until after the elections.

16. Cohete Rojo

I figured one of two things. Either his head exploded when that gay ISIS member murdered all those people in Orlando, or he felt ashamed for being called out as a fraud (and rightfully so).

17. Invisible Fan

Out of context, this sounds like a bleeding heart post.

I don't think rural America should be left behind, but I don't think immigrants are a scourge either.

There's a story American ancestors two hundred years ago should feel accomplished over. But those people risked and bled a lot more than their great grand children today.

All this talk about earning your keep and raising up from you're boot straps doesn't require one bit of genius. It does take the right attitude and a willingness to open ones mind, which is harder in a smaller town where everyone and everything never goes unnoticed.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The immigrant came to the US and took all the jobs? Uh no all the jobs were sent to China and India for slave wages.

All I hear is make America great again! America was great when we had a blue collar middle class who could support a family on one income and had a stay at home parent, less stress, annual vacations, and a guaranteed pension for retirement if they were loyal to the company and stayed. This was the life that most people recall as the good old days. Unfortunately some people believe that the correlation of the US becoming more of a melting pot and the deterioration of the working class economy is actually a causation. But it's not. Greed killed the middle class. Greed of increasing technology, production efficiency, and outsourced labor that has led to record amounts of corporate profits and cash on the sidelines.

I see my parents as former Bill Clinton supporters now sporting Trump bumper stickers. Mom just got laid off and Dad is 70 and still working. This is the Trump base IMO. Middle class whites who are pointing the finger at the lazy poor and the immigrant as always rather than at those responsible. Immigrants didn't cause my mom to get laid off, a reduction in profits requiring a belt tightening to appease shareholders did. Those angry small town rural folks who lived in mill towns and steel towns, immigrants didn't take your jobs, those factories were shut down and your jobs were sent across the globe. The movie The Big Short is spot on. Immigrants and poor people the universal scapegoat. This is the reason the inner city liberal elitist thinks the rural redneck hillbilly is so damn ignorant. It's because you're blaming the wrong damn person!

Until companies that earn $50 billion in profit annually and outsource production for $1.50 an hour to China bring those jobs back America will never be great again. At some point as anti American as it sounds we need to understand that sometimes too much profit is detrimental to the wellbeing of our society.

I worry greatly for my children and theirs. It's easy to say well go get a STEM education but if everyone did that there would not be enough jobs. America needs middle class paying blue collar jobs. But convincing companies to voluntarily be less efficient and accept less margins isn't going to happen. Until it does we will continue our downward trend.

#58 Phillyrocket, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're claiming "dog whistles" apparently you're hearing them in your head.

Anyway it's a fact that much of the hi-tech industry is staffed and has been developed by immigrants. That industry has been responsible for much of the economic growth of this country.

20. Dei

Dei Member

The government should give equal priority to foreigners, is that what you're saying? How is asking the government to give people jobs a handout? What I'm saying is American jobs for Americans first.

And they're not "weaklings and laggards". Most of these people are good, hard-working, upstanding folk who've had a rough time. You certainly don't seem to believe in America.

The immigrant takes it. Businesses, in their purest sense, are interested in maximizing profit. You regulate them through government.

But yes employers employing large numbers of low-skilled laborers, such as big agro, are the main beneficiaries of the unlimited migration policy. That's why they all support Hillary.

#60 Dei, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016