1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How good will Jeremy Lin be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sigmund, Jul 15, 2012.

?

How good will be Jeremy Lin?

1. Future Hall of Famer

6.9%
  2. Star/All star caliber player

25.9%
  3. Solid starter

54.2%
  4. Backup point guard

9.8%
  5. Scrub

3.1%
  1. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Dude, you are almost worse than DaDakota.
    I thought he disappeared and now you show up. :mad:
    ...But I have hope that you will improve since you are new.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Whether you agree or not, the op presented a great argument. He backed his claims with facts and stats. Me personally, I think lin has issues. I think he can be a solid starter, but nothing personal. All things being equal, I would've preferred to keep dragic. He had success under mchale, has played pretty well in his brief playoff exposure and he is getting better. One thing we do know is we will see soon enough.

3. Nero

Nero Member

How is this fool not banned yet?

Hey Siggy.. you know how the Knicks may end up paying every team in the league about 3 mil each if they match Lin's offer?

In much the same way, the average IQ of every CF poster will go up by about 30 points as soon as the ban-hammer strikes you down.

I can feel it coming, I am feeling smarter already!

:grin:

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

8.5 per year, what are you talking about?

Bird Rights and Gilbert Arenas provisions. It's A BACKLOADED contract.

5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Hey Sigmund mind getting a room with glen rice so you two can get intimate with each other over the hate on Jeremy Lin?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin has big flaws to his game. Which is why I don't think he is part of a "big 3". HOnestly I think we are better off rebuilding.

But if you are going to get D.H. you might as well get Lin. Lin can be an effective point guard with Howard. Howard gives Lin a big target to drive and dish. Howard will scoop up Lins passes and dunk them. On defense, Howard will allow Lin to play a bit tighter.

But Lin is no major star. He's a good starter. What Lin has to do is get a lot lot stronger. He is too weak to be a solid defender. That's his biggest issue right now. That should happen since he works out hard and is really young, his body will naturally thicken.

The other thing will be his turnovers. His dribble is high, that will always be a weakness, but his passing can improve. Also I notice that a lot of his turnovers are guys bumping him and reaching in. As he gets stronger that will help there some. And you can live with a 4-5 turnover pg if he is getting you 10 assists per game and putting up 18 ppg on efficient shooting.

But that is a big if.

7. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

the system in which Jeremy Lin flourishes is the iso. is Mike D'Antoni the only guy who knows how to run the iso? I dont think so.

"Lin Lovers will then argue the turnover issue is correctable: Lin is young and will learn to protect the ball." Yea because it makes logical sense. As Lin matures and learns more about the game, he will calm down and he will learn how to make better decisions. And using the best point guard in the league as a comparison is not very smart. All Lin needs to do is pace himself. He played in one gear last season and when you're playing in that gear, you will make more mistakes.

Once again, this is something that he can work on. Lin already has very good ballhandling that he can work with it. With his work ethic, he will work on his left hand dribbling, hell he probably already is working on it.

Ok. If you think going on a a winning streak with no Melo, or Amare and a very bad Knicks team is no big deal, then you're delusional. He single-handedly led that Knicks team trhough a great stretch of wins. scoring 20 or more points in 9 of 10 games is not easy. No Rockets point guard has done something like that in a while. Dragic had a good stretch, but we werent winning as much as the knicks.

Lin has great quickness, and great quickness usually translates to the other end of the floor. Considering just how defensively sound this Rcokets team was last year, i think Lin will learn a thing or two from McHale and even from Parsons. He can learn that. Nash was piss-poor on defense too. A lot of point guards are bad on defense..but Lin has the tools to be a good defender. he wont be a liability/

Stupidest point ever. he's a point guard lol. he averaged more assists than Dragic or Lowry. are they true point guards?

I haven't heard of the steve nash comparison. And you used it yourself in the first point. dont by a hypocrite.

And i think it's worth mentioning, but go look up Jeremy Lin Sports Science on youtube or on any video hosting website.

and since you love numbers so much, take a look at this. and pay close attention to the Per36 stats.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/yG1et

PIPEBOMB

1 person likes this.
  8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Sigmund...this is close to the most ignorant post ever, and I like you mate.

You have to give credit where credit is due, Lin was able to produce when given the opportunity.

Yes he turned the ball over a great deal,but that is also due to the D'Antoni system.
    But as you said 'truth is hate to those that hate the truth.'

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...anthony-calls-jeremy-lins-contract-ridiculous

2012-12: $5.1 MM
    2013-14: $5.1 MM
    2014-15: $14.9 MM - expiring

I don't think Morey is a perfect GM, or a God among men's, but you have to give him credit. Damn, he really put the Knicks in a precarious spot, while the Rockets have one of the lowest payrolls in the league. It's not like a max deal, which extends over a period of time. It's a very short term deal.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

11. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I was being generous anyway. I didn't even mention his lack of competitiveness, the fact that next season won't be lockout shortened season, but teams will have more time to prepare for their next opponent. The scouting reports are out.

12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

lack of competitivess? what the hell is wrong with you? seriuosly you're just hating on a guy who has done nothing wrong. he is a very hard worker, and its agreed that Lin has one of the best work ethics you can find in the NBA. like now it's just annoying. stop it.

13. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Thank you for the education. Now I can base my opinion on Jeremy Lin on what you said instead of what I saw.:rolleyes: F*** you troll

14. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

first of all, he does have a game outside of 10 feet. and even if he doesn't, so what? Derrick Rose is one of the best point guards in the league and Lin stopped him. give some credit to the guy.

15. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

let me just ask you one question, are you even a rockets fan?

1 person likes this.
  16. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

How else can I explain the fact, that he didn't want to play in playoffs vs. Miami, because he was only 85% ready? Shumpert and Davis went down and it's playoffs where one game can change whole series and yet you can't give your team 15 minutes? Because of that team you are now getting 28M contract.

How else can I explain the fact, that he rejected invite to play for USA select team? You could play against big boys, but obviously you are more interested about making money. Dude isn't dumb, he went to Harvard.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Ditto....

18. Gertso

Gertso Member

C - Bynum or Dwight
    PF - Donuts
    SF - Parsons
    SG - Lee/Lamb
    PG - Lin

That could be a scary starting 5 in a few years.

19. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Lin didn't stop Rose. Rose stopped himself. However he is legit starter even though was never true MVP or legit contender.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If Lin is a serviceable PG for us the next 3 years the signing was great.