1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How GOOD was Yao Ming Actually

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amaru, Nov 3, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yao Ming! Yao Ming Yao Ming!

D-rock and xaos like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Shaq says something along the lines of Yao was the only one that really tested him and puts him in the same category as Dream. This is NBA tv interview he had:

#42 donkeypunch, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

Yao was extremely overrated, especially by Clutchfans homers, but he was a good player.

4. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Let's not forget that the refs absolutely screwed Yao night in and night out... they had no idea how to call him.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Perhaps, but there were multiple runs in his career where he was bordering on being one of the top 4 or 5 players in the league before injuries would derail him. Look at how his career was trending up until 2006-07. In the first half of 06/07 he was perhaps trending to be an MVP candidate. He was certainly the best center in the game by that point. That was peak Yao. I love the lip reading: “you can’t f-ing stop me”

6. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

If Yao didnt get injured in 2009 playoffs,rockets would of won a championship good.

D-rock likes this.
  7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Huge part of Yaos problem was he played year round. China can be thanked for that.

D-rock, Plowman, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

As Rudy T and others said - The next Big Thing! came true.

D-rock likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if yao had been able to play physical with the same leeway shaq was given, he would have scored 30+ per night. he was just so huge that no one in the league could hold him.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Enjoy.

D-rock, vator, Easy and 12 others like this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

One day @vator will make his triumphant return from the twitterverse :cool:

D-rock, vator and Deckard like this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we never got to see Yao at his peak.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yao was one of the most skilled man of all time. Unfortunately, he put on too much weight on a league to dominated the block right as the league changed to more perimeter based play. Had he kept leaner he would have still dominated the block on size and be fast enough to avoid foul trouble without the injuries.

Then again, China ruined him with his summer play. He just broke down, too much pounding for a man that big.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with both the big fella adding too much weight, and also with Yao not having enough time off during the summer due to his obligation to play for the Chinese national team. Yao wanted to play for the national team, but he also needed time to recharge after the long NBA season.

It was very frustrating. He should have been able to find that balance between the two. American and European players, in the main, seem to. I always felt that Yao ended up playing far too much. All in the past now, but good memories of his elite play when he was healthy. One of the greats.

Yung-T, TMac'n, snowconeman22 and 2 others like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yao Ming aka the Chinese Rik Smits.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would have liked to see Yao in the current basketball era. I think it would have been interesting. The touch on his shot was elite, especially for the time. Today they would have let him stretch that range out to 3 which they never would have back then. He still has the post moves but letting him play more on the perimeter could have extended his career. He wasn’t a tremendous shot blocker but he was always a really well positioned and smart defender, I think he would still be able to compete on that end, similar to Jokic, despite the modern style of play.

Yung-T, Bo6, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  17. VoR

VoR Member

A top form Yao Ming could win a chip with the right squad around him. He was heavy footed, but consistent and solid. 41 points in one game was a nice highlight. Overall, he was unselfish and a supremely good human in the club house. Proud to have him as a career Rocket.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THIS^^^^^^^ X 100.

Great ambassador, helluva player, what a guy...LA was a beaten team. We were on our way to a title when he went down.
    Ever so slightly overrated as a player, but his impact went way beyond that.

#58 Plowman, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  19. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yao was far better than some of you remember, but I'll give this point to his detractors.... He was slow to the ball, so you needed an expert throwing an entry pass. He was very dependent on his teammates in that way. If he would have played today, staying thin and lean and utilizing his outside shooting touch, it would have solved a lot of those issues. He very likely would have played longer without as much weight on him.

I think facing Shaq colored his and the coaches thinking more than was reasonable.

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Very

iswis

D-rock likes this.