1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Francis?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sane, Aug 21, 2004.

?

Compare him

1. Francis>Brand, Iverson, Pierce, Marbury

49 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. He's better than all but one

51 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. He's better than all but two

55 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. He's only better than one

53 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. They're all better than him

73 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

The day that the Francis era of futility is finally over will be a grand day on this board. Francis-worship, an amazing phenomenon in and of itself, is truly resilient. Steve Francis represents for me what is wrong with the NBA and American Pop Culture in general. Style without Substance, Hype instead of Quality, and Image instead of Reality. The "new era" NBA players focus on althleticism, one-on-one play and dunking to the detriment of fundamentals, team play, and outside shooting. The current USA basketball squad (notice I didn't use the word TEAM) is a living laboratory of this very fact. The Pistons victory over LA is another.

Francis played to the crowd, maybe that is why so many of you love his play. He was an entertainer. On innumerable occasions, I saw him give up simple, basic, fundamental passes or shots for "high light reel" attempts only to miss everything or turn the ball over. His earned the "selfish" label because he seemed to be looking for his shot, his chance, his opportunity to shine, to dazzle, to go one on one, to make the rim-rattling dunk. Some of you loved it. I hate this kind of mindless, reckless, and irresponsible play. Apparently the Rockets didn't think much of it either, because they shipped him and his showboating streetball style of play out of here. And for that I am truly greatful.

Personally, I don't know him; I don't love him or hate him. His charity work is laudable. I hope he grows up. I wish him well. As to basketball, I would love a return to the basics, team play, crisp passes, good outside shooting, systematic ball movement, stiffling defense. As they said in Detroit, a full house always beats a pair. And a team always beats an individual.

#81 solid, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is it Francis worship to go around to other message boards and start polls in order to come back here and prove that he sucks, months after he was traded?

Is it Francis worship to go on and on about Stephon Marbury and how his NBA career is so much more fabulously successful than Francis? YOu do realize this is sub-500 Stephon, locker room joy, I need to be the man, right?

Let me know, solid. This whole thing started when somebody said "wow, francis made a nice gesture in taking out that ad, very classy, " then people rushed in to that thread question his motives, say that he sucks, blah blah blah, same tired stuff.

That is bush league, by any measure -- but no, the real problem is the people who respond to them, and tell them to stop being such trolls and who dare defend the legacy of one of the Rockets premier players as compared to the great, great, stephon marbury.

3. munco

munco Member

I like Francis but there's no way he's better than Iverson. Has anyone even talked about Defense?

I'm a bigger fan of Francis, but I'd also give the edge to Marbury. I think Francis if he gets to play more of a SG role can put up big numbers, but as a point guard he's not much of a playmaker. While Marbury is not a traditional point guard, is a very effective point guard especially on the break or when he has the ball in his hands.

4. solid

Sam Fisher, I suppose we are all processing the Post-Francis era, and when the season begins surely the thoughts of Rocket's fans will turn elsewhere. As I recall, you were pro-Francis, and as you will remember, I have never been one of his fans. I certainly remember many of his highlights and his boxscores were often impressive, but from my point of view, his play wasn't. I don't view him as an top tier NBA player or as one of the premier players in Rockets history.. I'm sure you don't agree.

As to Marbury, I don't care for him either. As to Francis' ad, I have no opinion. But what I always wanted to ask you and others is why the fascination with Francis? Why the relentless loyalty, the tireless effort to defend every criticism? Are you a relative? Do you really think he was that good, that much of an asset to a .500 ball club that over five years never accomplished much of anything?

#84 solid, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Solid, if I defended every criticism, I would have far more than 7k posts. Needless to say, your view that he's not that great isn't shared by the teams that drafted him, the team that gave him a big contract, the team that traded McGrady for him & Mobley, etc.

No, I don't think he was that good. I'm glad McGrady is here. I've said this many times over. However, when I see people bashing him for factually inaccurate reasons, due to whatever biases they might have, and trumping up bogus arguments, like "Stephon Marbury is a real winner", then I disagree as a factual matter.

I've said, many times over that there are legitimate reasons to criticise him: too many turnovers, can't run a break, etc.

THere are also illegitimate reasons "doesn't play hard, doesn't want to win, hates Yao," etc.

When I see the latter, I take issue with it. solid explain to me how that constitutes Francis worship. I asked you for an answer on that and I haven't gotten one yet.

6. solid

Sam Fisher, I formally absolve you all accusations of "Francis Worship." You are now "Francis Worship" free, you have been delivered, set free, and exonerated! God Bless You, and carry on with your life. (This board is just too much fun, we should not be allowed to come here) ;)

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Thats good that you're not a Francis jock-rider, Sam. But as far as these illegitimate reasons go, I can't say that I've seen anyone use these that you posted. Nobody can say that Francis didn't play hard or didn't want to win, and if anyone said something Yao related, it was that he didn't pass to him enough which everyone knew was true.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

simply for me. . .
    Peirce is closer to Francis than he is McGrady

I thinl brand and Francis are about the same
    I would take Francis over Iverson

Me-bury . .i cannot stand him so my opinion is tainted

Rocket River
    Francis over two of them . . and equal to one