1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Dwyane Wade?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pieman2005, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Seems like DWade has been lost in discussion after forming the Big 3.

I'm not talking about right now, I'm talking about his whole career.

How good of a player is DWade? Where does he fit into top SGs? Surely he is top 10?

Not the greatest shooter, but Dwyane is great at driving the lane. His field goal percentage is great for a guard, 49% for his career, although he is a bad 3 point shooter.

An underrated passer imo and a decent rebounder.

One of the best shot blocking guards of all-time also.

And he is AMAZING on the fast break.. makes great decisions.. can finish at the rim.. near perfect passing on the break

Current career averages 25-6-5 with 2 steals and 1 block, 49% FG, 29 3P%, 77%FT

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean.. he aight.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Undisputed superstar. Once in a generation phenom.

In the last few years he's probably the only one who can challenge Lebron other than Kobe, but unfortunately they joined forces...

1 person likes this.
  4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I remember all those years right before the big 3 where he would flat out CARRY the Heat in the playoffs.. he had some crazy performances.. but they always lost cause his best teammate was Beasley..

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

9-time All Star. 7-times All-NBA. Scoring title. 2 Rings. Remarkable performance in the '06 postseason. Still really, really good and still in his prime years.

If he's not on Jerry West's level now, he certainly will be when he retires.

6. arjun

arjun Member

he sucks

1 person likes this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Wade, to me will be battling Kobe for #2 all time shooting guard when his career is over. Every advanced statistic will tell you Wade's peak is better than Kobe. Kobe never led the league in PER (or even came close besides one year) while Wade has. Wade had one of the top 10 playoff/championship runs by a player ever statistically. Only thing Kobe has on him is longevity, but we'll see how Wade does as he gets older. Wade will never be perceived like that by the media because by the time his career ends half of his career he'd have been the second best player on his team (although everyone conveniently forgets that's also the case for Kobe.) Not really his fault he played with the second greatest player of all time.

#7 kevC, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

He'd be in the MVP conversation right now if it wasn't for LeBron.

9. Mariachi ROCKET

Ill take him, to back up Carlos Delfino! LOL

1 person likes this.
  10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Not a GOAT but certainly a HOF'er.

11. VBG

VBG Member

he should finish top 5 all time. Probably 4th behind Jordan, Kobe and Jerry West.

12. Asian Sensation

Not as good as Kobe but better than Clyde Drexler. That's saying a lot considering Drexler is my favorite player all time.

13. Asian Sensation

Yup. Jordan, Kobe, West, Wade then Drexler.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Definitely a top 10 SG. Probably top 5. Jordan, Kobe, West.. Oscar Robertson if we want to consider him a SG. After that i think Wade has a very strong case.

By the way, out of all the players drafted in 2000-2009, who has reached or will likely reach peak Wade, in terms of level of play?
    LeBron.
    Durant.
    Maybe peak Dwight.
    Maybe CP3.
    Maybe Yao -- but it's a very short few month long prime.
    I would say no when it comes to Amar'e, Melo. A bit too early to say when it comes to Rose, Westbrook, Love, Blake, Harden - but they all got a lot of work to do.
    So Wade could very well end up a top 5 or even top 3 player of his generation / decade.

15. Asian Sensation

No. Not even close. Forget advanced statistics and PER. I don't even like Kobe but he's head and shoulders ahead of Wade. That whole 'longevity' thing is kind of a big deal. Maybe the biggest deal in Kobe's case. He's been putting in WORK for a long ass time.. go back and look at his numbers again. Otherwise, we can bring in guys like Iverson, Carter and Tmac to this conversation as well. Wade did have an amazing playoff run when they won the ring against the Mavs but it still pales in comparison to Kobe's accomplishments.

Also, Wade is already 31 (time flies) and I don't think anybody is going to forget that Kobe was 2nd fiddle to Shaq during their glory years now or anytime soon.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

No we can't because they either had vastly inferior stats to both Kobe and Wade or had very short peaks. Wade was top 5 in PER for 6 seasons (4, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3) and top 10 for 8. Kobe was top 5 in PER 5 times (never better than 3rd) and top 10 for 10.

17. conquistador#11

Get wade and 3 refs and they can dominate any game against any team. (the whistle just blew again)

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd say he's the 3rd greatest SG of the last 40 years. I'd only rate Jordan and Kobe ahead of him, and really Kobe isn't that far ahead of him.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

... Kobe's pretty far ahead of him, even if his peak years weren't necessarily better. There's no way Wade gets near Kobe's counting stats when all is said and done.

20. Asian Sensation

Iverson's career averages: 26.7ppg 6.2apg /3.7 rebounds per game and 2.2 steals over a span of 14 years. Ain't nothing short about 14 years and those are some HOF numbers even if you factor in his demise/exit from the NBA in his last years. If Iverson wasn't so mercurial/controversial he'd be in the top 5 maybe at number 3.

Carter had a peak which lasted about 10 years and Mcgrady also had a peak that lasted about 8 years. Their final numbers will be skewed though because Carter is way past his prime and he's still logging minutes and Mcgrady's numbers were skewed because he didn't hit his stride until his 3rd year and he had a not so glorious end to his career.

The point I'm making is Kobe has been at the top of the game forever and Wade isn't going to catch him. Drexler is closer to Wade than Wade is to Kobe.

1) Jordan

2) Kobe

3) West
    4) Wade
    5) Drexler
    6) Iverson