1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good is Beverley on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

chucks greatest asset was his ass, thats why he could check beanpoles like Garnett, like trying to back down a brick wall.

the way he's made a career in the nba from being a rock is incredible, but i wont miss his free throws haha

2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Hopefully he a Rocket for life. Just hope that hamstring stop messing with him so much. To win a ring, you need players with heart for the game.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

And Bev has one of the best of em'.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Beverley is becoming one of my favorite players. Dude has so much heart, I wish he could stay healthy for longer stretches. He wasn't himself in last year's playoffs, still obviously hurt by the meniscus injury.

He's so important for this team it's hard to limit his minutes though.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

That's why McHale is always telling them to play harder. People around here like to make fun of McHale for saying that. But that's what wins a lot of games.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

and hamstrings!!!

7. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Still can't believe Morey found this guy. Truly a huge gem. I hope Beverley stays with the Rockets for his career. The energy and heart he plays with every night is unmatchable

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yup, his tree trunk legs and low center of gravity made him an unmovable rock. I still remember that play you're talking about clearly. KG didn't move him an inch!

Relating that tangent on topic. I don't think Beverley is the same type of defender as a Battier or Hayes. I actually think his rotations and positioning are pretty bad, generally. But he makes up for it by the sheer amount of effort he puts in by going 120% all the time. He's also very quick and athletic. His vertical/explosiveness is huge, hence how grabs a lot of rebounds in traffic. I'd venture to say he's the best rebounding guard in traffic.

If Beverley ever combines that effort with the defensive awareness and IQ of someone like Hayes or Battier, he will be an all time great defender.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Common sense says the number 1 priority of defenses should be to stop/disrupt the ball as a PG, pbev well understands this is is primary responsibility (see gp)

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah, he's a lot like the glove in that regard. He's also like him because he gets into the opposing PG's head quite easily. Bev doesn't trash talk as much as Gary Peyton though.

11. HookemHorns1250

Watching him play is just an amazing sight to see. I can't remember a player that played with more passion...more aggression.

I can't help but smile when he makes a great defensive play and just starts screaming. Or when he gets into an opponents head, causing them to lose their cool.

He leads by example, and the rest of the team feeds off his emotion. Same goes with Terry and his emotion on the court.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

can someone make a list of SG's so we can compare harden's defense?

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And what names would you like to see on that list? What I did here was not done for all of the PGs because it would have taken four hours.

14. basketballholic

A couple things:

1. jtr, please find a way to downsize those charts. They keep distorting thread after thread. Many of us ain't going to scroll from left to right to read them and frankly I close out of threads because of those charts. You make everybody else's post string out off the screen. Please throw those charts in paint and downsize them or something.

2. This is just another example of how you can't look at data in a vacuum. And also how BAD defensive statistical measurements are at measuring how good or bad a defender is. There simply isn't any good metrics for measuring individual D out there. One of the reasons is because defense is such a team thing. The best defenders seem to wind up on the best defenses because they play as a unit. And they all have different job assignments. Such as funneling. Some defenses funnel their perimeter opponents into their bigs. They guard tight and try to force the opponent into dribble drives. It's part of their scheme. So they can take a lot of chances that another defender may not be able to take. In turn, their bigs may actually look mediocre defensively because they have so much action to deal with and they give up a lot of points relative to another team's bigs who have a different defensive scheme of keeping everything on the perimeter and forcing or allowing long jump shots.

You simply can't quantify defensive scheme. And you can't use plus/minus when defense is such a team concept.

For instance, this data shows Kyle Lowry to be a piss-poor defender. Anybody that watches games KNOWS that ain't the truth. It's far from it. But when they are running him out there like the dawg that he is and he's responsible for holding together a relatively crappy defensive second unit, etc. then his numbers get distorted big time.

Same way with Rondo. They run him out there with a Olynk and Sully, guys that can't defend and all of a sudden his numbers don't look good. You can say, oh, this stat/metric accounts for all that....but it don't. It don't account for guys turning the ball over and Rondo having to defend 2 on 1 going downhill, etc. It doesn't account for who the opponents are that we are playing against. It's like in another thread....somebody thinks DMo is the 8th best rim protector in the business. No he ain't. All you gotta do is watch the games to see that. DMo is a good defender. He is a much improved defender. He's an effective defender. But 8th best rim protector?? LOL. Nope. Dwight, Tyson Chandler, Brandan Wright, Robin Lopez, Andrew Bogut, Roy Hibbert, Tim Duncan, DeAndre Jordan, Biyombi, Gortat, Andre Drummond, Larry Sanders, Anthony Davis, Omer Asik, Derrick Favors, and Noah are all better than DMo at forcing opponents to change their shots at the rim. And that's just a few off the top of my head. Most of these guys listed are either extremely long or extremely athletic or both. They force guys to adjust a ton of shots...............when the rest of their defense allows them to be able to patrol the paint and not have to slide out to the corner to defend an opponent big who has slipped through a screen and is wide open in the corner. I like DMo and think he's great, much improved. But 8th best rim protector.....come on guys, let's get real here.

There is no individual defensive stat/metric that tells an accurate story of how good an individual defender is. I appreciate looking at the data. But nothing replaces watching the game to see what impact a defender has on the game.

With all that being said......I don't need to look at any statistical measurement to see and understand what impact Bev has on the game. He's is one nasty, nasty customer for opponents to have to deal with. He's a very special player on the defensive end when healthy. Very special. The Tony Allen of point guard defenders. He's probably the peskiest one-on-one defender when defending the ball in the league. And overall he's undoubtedly a top 5 defender among point guards. And a true game-changer on the defensive end.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do realize that you can hit ctrl - and downsize the font displayed on your screen? It would take me 5 minutes a chart to pull it into photoshop and downsize the image.

I have never presented this as anything but data. I am not going to pull a bmd and advertise this data as something it is not. Data without context is just data.

Team defense is more important than individual defense. But individual defense contributes to team defense. An example of this would be if Houston lost both Howard and D-Mo at the same time. The Rockets would just be screwed. The layup drills would commence.

Your Rondo example is valid on a small percentage of the shots. Period. All data has an associated margin of error when applied to a certain context. No data set is going to be 100% accurate. Even CERN data with billions of observations is only 5 sigma.

Again SportVU data is the best a fan can find to help us understand defensive contributions of individual players. But without the appropriate context and the knowledge and understanding to properly interpret the data, it is wasted.

#55 jtr, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Quite a few of those guys are in the "if i dont block it, i'm probably not going to affect it much because i dont position well" club, Lopez, Wright and Biyombo come to mind, Davis is a bit the same, all or nothing guys really aren't that effective despite what your eyes seem to be telling you, which is why their teams tend to suck on defense (the latter 2 are due to inexperience, Ibaka was like that 3 years ago too), the former 2 is because they're just not that good.

#56 Aleron, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  17. basketballholic

Actually I had forgotten that. I'm an old fart. Thanks for the reminder. I'll work with it that way.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am an old fart also. But a retired software engineer. So why can I never find my keys? LOL.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That is true, and the reason why players like Hibbert and Omer will always be among the best defenders in the NBA. They are not going to leap out of the gym, but try to get that shot off when they are seven feet tall and right in your face. And by the way, don't hit them because it will be a charge against you.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This isnt the 80s where you could hammer the **** out of them for a block (which is why the chances of anyone ever emulating hakeems 4 per is basically nil), except for like whistle swallowing time, the refs will pretty much nail you with a blocking foul if you get physical contact and aren't going straight up.