1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How good could Penny Hardaway have been?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Aug 17, 2002.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

This guy was a stud, a superstar in only his 2nd or 3rd year in the league. He was putting up terrific numbers as the point guard of the Magic, and paired with Shaq, the Magic were supposed to be the team of the future. They were a little early, reaching the finals in only Penny's second year where they were swept by our Rockets :). A year later, after another tremendous year by Penny, they were swept by Jordan's Bulls. That's when it all started going downhill. Shaq bolted to LA as a free agent and Penny's knees basically gave out on him. My question is this,

Had Penny Hardaway's knees not given out on him, how good could he have been?

IMO, this guy should have been a sure fire HOF'er, he was that impressive. How cruel injuries can be, just ask Danny Manning.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I never got to watch him in his prime, but he seemed like a real good player. The only knock I could give him is he played with Shaq. Granted, it was a more inexperienced Shaq, but it was Shaq. Just like how Kobe gets that knock, Penny should get it too. It would be nice to see how good Kobe would be without Shaq on the same team, or the NBA. If he does better, Penny would have probably been a HOF, possibly.

But like I said, I never really got to watch him, so all of this is coming off my knowledge of basketball, a whole 3 years.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He could have been a great player.He was very versatile and athletic.Penny was a good clutch shooter, a fine passer with excellent ball handling skills with a good outside and inside game.I used to like his smooth finger rolls.He used to make the game look easy.
    Penny never payed much attention to defense which could have prevented him from being a HOF but he was a really talented player.

4. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Yes, he was very clutch...I remember a Christmas day game awhile ago between the Magic and our Rockets where he hit the GW shot with about 1.3 seconds left. Pissed me off, but he was very good in clutch situations.

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

Injuries or not, Penny is the epitome of a coattails player. He looks better than he is when paired with another good player, but when asked to lead the team on his own, he simply cannot do it. I think he's the basis for some of the "how well would Kobe be without Shaq?" arguments, to tell the truth.

Couple his inability to perform as the lead star/lone star of a team with his desire to whine and moan and disrupt the chemistry in a clubhouse and you have a player who would've ended up with all of his talent gone to waste, even without the knee problems.

Oh, he could've been good. But just because of who he is and was, he never would've reached his full potential.

As a Magic fan, it kinda pleases me to see him performing the same antics in Phoenix as he did here - especially since the Magic aren't paying him the max for many more years to come. The Suns knew what they were getting and made a bad decision to stick with it.

6. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

He inspired mostly contempt from his teamates & coaches. He never would have made the role players on his team any better. He had 3 coaches fired (including HOFers Daly & Ainge) & his outside shot was inconsistent. He was solved before the injury. Play him physical on defense & force him to beat you from the outside. Screw Penny.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nickel = cancer
    :p

He makes Quitten look good.

8. Stevie Francis

he would have been a bigger, higher scoring jason kidd

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Penny has nothing in common with Jason Kidd.

He would have been a SG version of Marbury. Put up good stats, while being a loser.

Healthy or not, his attitude sucks.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Penny may have a bad attitude but he was not a loser. He was awesome until he got injured. Young Penny was like McGrady with better handles and passing ability.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I agree with most of you guys in the thread that think he would have been awesome.

When he was in Orlando with Shaq I really enjoyed both players, but for some reason I can't stand either one of them now. :)

I think Penny started to lose touch with reality when he demanded to be the highest paid player on the Magic when they still had Shaq...

12. Nikos

Nikos Member

IMO I think Penny was a flashier, more exciting player and passer than Jason Kidd. Watching some of his old games I must say his passes were comparable to Magic Johnson.

Penny had some unfortunate circumstances come his way. Had Shaq stayed and Penny been healthy, whining or not, Penny would have a ring on his finger by now. I mean he and Shaq only played 3 seasons toghether, while neither had more than 4 years of experience in the league.

That combo could have been as good as Kobe-Shaq.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

FORUM RULE #134: All Kobe fans must diss Penny because if he is suspect of being great because of shaq. . . then the same goes for Kobe. . . .

If Penny just sucks either way . . .they can preserve the ideal
    that Kobe is great either way

Rocket River

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What if! What if! There are dozens and dozens of players who could have been HOFers had their knees / legs not been blown out -- how about Ralph Sampson? Bernard King? LaPhonso Ellis? etc. etc.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL! :D So true.

16. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Whoa there...calm yourself down a little. Remember, its just a question. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, Ralph Sampson...very nice :)

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

So McGrady is a winner?

Fact is that T-Mac, as great as his, writes checks his ass can't cash.

Saying crap like how he's better than Baron Davis, who ends up getting triple doubles against Orl.

18. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

mfclark's not going to be happy about this...;)

So you'd take Baron over McGrady based on one playoff series, especially considering that Baron's supporting cast is much better than Mcgrady's? :rolleyes:
    OK, McGrady shouldn't have made the guarantee that he couldn't carry through...I'll give you that, no problem.
    But, ask any NBA GM, if they'd trade a Baron Davis for a Tracy Mcgrady and I guarantee everyone of them would a)laugh, and b)do it in a heartbeat.

Didn't Tony Parker just about outplay Gary Payton in their first round series this year (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Parker had a heckuva series against Seattle)?
    Is Tony Parker better than Gary Payton now?

You must take into account supporting casts.

#18 LiLStevie3, Aug 18, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2002
  19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I never said that T-Mac wasn't better than Davis. My point (that I didn't say clearly) is that T-Mac should shut the f up before hyping himself up. He is too cocky for his own good. Yet, everyone complains about how Kobe is so cocky, when he has 10X's more reason to be arrogant than T-Mac.

T-Mac needs to put his money where his mouth is, if he's going to hype himself up.

20. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Oh ok, I got you then...thanks for clearing that up. Agreed, T-Mac is cocky, but Kobe's done worse (as a 19 year old kid, calling off screens from established veteran superstars at the '98 all-star game so he could go 1 on 1 with MJ, refusing to defer to Shaq a couple of years ago, flexing his muscles, blowing his fingers, etc etc after made baskets, flashing his ring on The Life)

So hey, they're both extremely talented, cocky players...but Kobe's more annoying with his ways I guess, which is why he's one of the more detested players in the league. Yes, he's very popular, but he's very hated as well (ala the '02 all-star game in Philly)