1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good are the Minnesota Timberwolves?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Aug 2, 2013.

?

Are the Minnesota Timberwolves a playoff team in 2013-14?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2013.
  1. YES

96 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. NO

74 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Last year, I remember thinking the T-Wolves were a lock for the playoffs. They were an up-and-coming team and they destroyed the Rockets (then) in the paint in 2011-12 (as we all remember). Injuries just destroyed their season last year.

Now, I wonder if everyone is sleeping on them.

Adelman is back coaching. Their starting lineup of...

C: Nikola Pekovic
    PF: Kevin Love
    SF: Derrick Williams
    SG: Kevin Martin
    PG: Ricky Rubio

... looks good. Derrick Williams has been a disappointment so I don't know what you'll get there -- it would have been more interesting if AK47 was still there -- but they've got some pop in that lineup with Adelman running the show.

The bench of JJ Barea, Corey Brewer, Alexey Shved, Chase Budinger doesn't blow me away, but it could be serviceable.

The West is stocked: I'd say 6 teams are projected locks in Houston, Oklahoma City, LA Clippers, San Antonio, Memphis and Golden State. Denver is hard to project after changing their GM, coach and losing Iguodala and Brewer. There also are wildcards in LA Lakers, Portland and Dallas. But I'm thinking Minnesota has a decent chance here, even though I'd like to see them fall apart just for the remote chance that Love goes on the block.

What do you think -- playoff team?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they are a playoff team with a healthy Kevin Love and an improved Rubio.
    Plus I have faith in Rick the Ruler's abilities to turn things around.

Kevin Martin will be getting so open shots and no look passes.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Without many injuries I say they are a playoff team

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'd say more likely a 9 or 10 seed.

Golden State
    Houston
    LA Clippers
    Memphis
    Oklahoma City
    San Antonio

Dallas, Denver, & LA Lakers for the last two spots.

Probably not quite enough: Minnesota, New Orleans, Portland

Probably out of the mix: Phoenix, Sacramento, Utah

#4 J.R., Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw, no team has ever made it to the playoffs with Kevin Martin as their starting SG.

Not enough bench
    Not enough experience
    Can't sustain injuries
    The West got better in the off-season

I say no, unless Rubio rises to his promised land.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

7th or 8th seed at best.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Had they kept AK47 I'd answer with a confident yes. Not sure where Adelman's head is at, same with Love. Could go either way right now.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Shabazz could surprise people and help the T-Wolves this season after all the negative publicity he's had. I don't think Williams will get much burn. I'm guessing he goes back to being Love's understudy to mostly watch from the bench.

Denver will get their .600+ reg season, not even injuries will stop this. It's how far they'll go in the playoffs and that depend on Gallinari's health.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They are a PRETTY good team that is just waiting for that resurgence, which I believe will be this year.

Almost all of us think K-Mart sucks and is overrated, but in the right system the guy has the ability to thrive---which he will do this year.

They have a scary good roster that can develop into something amazing, it all kind of hinges on Rubio's ability to shoot which really isn't that hard to improve on.

We will see, I really wish Coach Adelman the best though, I can't really root for other teams outside the Rockets, but I can root for past coaches and players I really admire.

10. showa13

showa13 Member

I see them possibly sneaking into the 8th spot if they stay healthy.

I have the west like this
    1. OKC
    2. Clippers
    3. Houston
    4. SAS
    5. Golden State
    6. Memphis

Those 6 are locks, and I see them being close in record

Then Minny, Denver, Dallas, and maybe the Lakers and Pelicans fighting for that last spot, with Utah just kinda there, and Sactown and Phoenix in the Wiggins sweepstakes

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Man, I hated when Kevin Martin gets too much credit. I couldn't stand these "so call" experts saying the Thunder made a mistake for not bringing him back. But in this case he fits in very well in Rick Adelman's system. Rick Adelman knows how to use him. I do see the Wolves a play off team. But it all depends if they can stay healthy.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Their defense will be scary, but not scary good.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

The Wolves let go of AK because they were giving that money to Budinger. He will be their starting SF, not Williams. Remember Adelman telling Morey not to trade Budinger not matter what.

Love is a legit top 10 player, and Rubio probably the premier defensive PG in the league. While I thought Adelman never should have pretended to be a GM and interfere with Morey, he is a fine coach. Especially given this lineup of skilled players tailored for his offense. They should have little trouble making the playoffs. It is still ironic though, that Adelman once scoffed at Morey's suggestion to trade Martin and Scola for the rights to Rubio, whom the Wolves will now likely offer their super max.

Denver is done. Iguodala was their best player, and a huge loss. Gallinari was likely their second best player, and won't be back til mid year. Denver will not make the playoffs.

Dallas is a team that will surprise to the upside I think. Their offseason signings were horrible. Not only overpaying, but also leaves them stuck in mediocrity. However, it does make them better. A healthy Dirk with a second option of Monte Ellis have it all. They will make the playoffs.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Portland, Dallas, and Minnesota will compete for the bottom two seeds.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Low ceiling, low floor team. They could conceivably be a 6th-8th seed if things go right. I don't think their margin for error is that great though, with some bad luck I could easily see them being a 30-35 win team.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I live out West, where I mostly deal with Lakers, Jazz, and Suns fans. I told them that I thought the Timberwolves would beat all 3 teams this season and none are very agreeable to the idea of the T-Wolves besting the Lakers.

They also all predicted 4th-5th place for the Rockets.

17. newAge_Rockets

They are a playoff team if healthy, I just don't think that they'll be healthy.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Close but no cigar

No superstars.... kevin love is an allstar

19. Raven

Raven Member

With the 14th pick in the NBA lottery, the Minnesota Timberwolves select...

20. NotChandlerParsons

I'm going to go with no. While that roster is a 7-8 seed on paper, I think there are far too many "ifs" involved and something will inevitably go wrong. They have so little margin for error. Kevin Love whacks his hand again and it's all over.