1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How far we've come: A look back at the first Kings game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sbyang, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

I was clicking through the Chron and noticed the box score from our game against Sacramento in December.

Sac won that game 107-99. Yao had 29, Tracy had 40 (!!!), both of them shot well and got to the FT line often. The rest of the team contributed very little, Alston, Battier and Hayes combined for 11 points, Mike James and Bonzi scored a little bit, Scola played but didn't score a point, Brooks somehow got 1 minute and Landry didn't play at all. This game was reminiscent of our playoff games against Utah where 2 guys dominated and no one else stepped up.

This team has come so far from that team in Sacramento. Tracy's injury situation won't allow him to dominate (he can't get 40 in the Toyota Center anyway), but we can expect much better efforts from Scola, Alston, and Battier, those three guys are playing with so much more confidence than they were back then. We can also expect a boost from Bonzi attacking the basket and Landry trying to dunk everything. I like our balanced team much more than the 2 star act we were pulling before.

2. bkff8

bkff8 Member

I agree. 5 on 5 > 2 on 5.

But I still kind of miss that T-mac as well.

FG: 14-30
    FT: 7-8
    3 point: 5-10

40 points.

oh well.. we still win when t-mac only scores under 20 pt.. that's good enough ;)

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

I think alot of people have forgotton how he was in the first couple of games. He was destroying teams he got 40 with Artest on him, the rest of the team stank it up in that game. Hopefully RAfer will continue his good form as will scola and landry

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad you brought up this post. No doubt we have improved but the next game is going to be dangerous unless we shoot much better and defend well against Bibby,Salmons,Garcia,Artest. Even Brad Miller can stretch the defense.
    The point that I'm making is we will face matchup problems in every game and a lot depends on how we handle them.

Today's game exposed some of our weaknesses.I'm glad we figured a way out of trouble but it's going to be a fight to the death in order to make it to the playoffs. The narrow game differences between most of the teams doesn't give a true picture of the difficulties ahead.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we attack the paint, guard the paint, we will beat the Kings easy.

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I think the way this team is playing right now is more fitted for making some noise in the playoffs. The thing about having to great players like Yao and Mac is that you know they can go off at any given time and pour in the baskets which will more than likely get you a victory that game. But the problem is, that becomes difficult over the stretch of a seven game series, as even the great Kobe Bryant has proven post-Shaq. The thing that gives me so much confidence about this team is that we have multiple players contributing greatly and thats what you need to advance in the playoffs!

Can't wait for Wednesday! I wish basketball was more like baseball and they played every day! I hate days the Rockets don't play, especially days like Thursdays, when TNT decides to put a game between a West team and a sorry East team and the game is a blowout from the tipoff! Who picks these games for ESPN, TNT, etc? Stupids games ever! Washington @ Phoenix? Give me a break!

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

at the end of the day, you still need your superstars to be superstars. look at what the lakers did to the kings. balanced attacks can only get you so far except for the pistons but they played much better defense than adelman's teams.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

sbyang: nice find, and sharing.

Detroit may be balanced but they are balanced with some true, big time studs.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Apparently it does take 5, I was fooled.

Damn you Adidas, damn you.

10. HipHopSince1981

[​IMG]

11. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

even we are winning with balance score, i still think balance team can't win it all. especially when you have a great center

the reason we fail under JVG is bad outside shooting, look at the o'neil 's laker they always got 2 or 3 good 3point shooter.

RA's kings can't win it all, can RA' rox does that?

perfect score box should be , yao 30+, TMAC 20+, one of other 3 starter 10+

and six man 10+

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Cause you only want to score 60-70 points a game?

The balance across the board is a good thing. I just hope it continues against better teams. We all expected to improve in this part of the schedule against the "weaker" teams.... and everyone loves a good winning streak... now lets all hope that improvement continues after the all star break and we peak in the playoffs.

13. kwng

kwng Member

That game was a real shock. Sacramento was losing many games before that game and we lost to them. What an upset. We must beat these below 0.5 team if we want to get into playoff and I still do not feel confident meeting them again.

14. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Our biggest weakness the past few seasons has been the lack of consistant balanced offense from guys not named McGrady or Yao.

Teams would essentially front Yao with weak side help ready to come over and double Tmac forcing him to either pass or take bad jumpshots. In the playoffs, Tmac and Yao will still get theirs and its important that any of the other players can go off for 15+.

Scola and Landry are a big reason for the turn around. As much as I've loved Hayes' defense and instinct, he is not the correct fit with Yao that we initially thought he would be (because of fronting and weak side help).

I'm still waiting for teams to adjust to the balanced offense (if its even possible). This will mean more 1v1 for Tmac and Yao and you know both of them are unstoppable 1v1.

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The Sacramento game is a perfect example of how far superstar basketball will take you--straight to a loss.

Balanced attack, unselfish play, team ball. Those things have allowed the Rockets to go on a tear. If they move away from those things I expect them to start losing again. I think they know it too.

16. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

We just played terrible defense agaisnt the Kings. The Rockets will play superstar basketball no matter what. They have 2 of them. If Yao and Tmac are played one on one they should take all the shots. The reason "team ball" is winning is because other guys finally are making wide open shots. That plus we have better finishers than we did last year with Bonzi, Luther improving offensively, Scola and Landry

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Mike James cost us that game against the Kings. :mad:

He just played no defense whatsoever --- NO DEFENSE. Allowed Beeno Udrih to get to the rim at will and just run layup drills, and committed a ton of fouls that led to free throw opportunities for them. Even if he didn't commit the foul, he made sure they were able to get to the paint and draw a foul on one of our bigs. Minus Mike James, we win that game.

18. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/02/all_together_now_for_the_rolli.html

19. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

the real question is who would win between adidas and nike squads?

adidas
    Tmac
    Duncun
    KG
    Agent Zero
    Mr. Big Shot

nike
    Steve nash
    Tpark
    Kobe
    Amare
    Marion

I say adidas for shure

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A heavily balanced approach works fine as long as your playing teams with more or less similar distribution of talent (like Portland, Atlanta, Cleveland, Minnesota, Milwauke, ...). Once we start playing the elite teams again, I think we'll need Tracy to step up. He doesn't have to score 30+ points, but he can't coast through entire halves as he has on this home stand.