1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does rep work?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by dakeem1, Jul 8, 2009.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I had a similar question in one of the other rep threads and someone respond with this answer that made the most sense:

you received rep from a contributing member who has yet to receive any rep themselves and so they are on the grey "james white" status so thats why it shows up there.

I think that is the most logical reason unless Clutch comes by and says otherwise

1 person likes this.
  2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. :)

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

so the amount of rep you have contributes to the points you can give to someone?

4. The_Yoyo

I am not sure of the exact formula but I do believe the number of points you can give is determined more by the date you joined, the number of posts you have more than the actual number of rep points you have yourself.

I dont know how clutch has the formula set up but using myself as an example I believe when i rep someone it gives them 3 rep points but a few others who have 10+k posts hand out 4 points, maybe its 20+k I am not positive. And it goes higher from there.

DaDakota for example I remember when I received rep from him once it boosted my total by 6 points.

I believe Clutch's rep (if you are lucky enough to be rep by the Godfather himself) is worth 15 points. I am not sure if all the mods are the same way or what, I would assume that rep from the Mods do weigh a bit more than posters.

but I would guess to say about 80% of the members who can rep usually can leave between 1-3 points then there are the other 10k+ club that leave 4 points or higher.

Clutch layed out a possible formula on how rep was calculated in the original "rep feature" thread (which was then locked since it got derailed, but of course thats what we do best in the feedback forum...derail threads), but from what I remember that he re-did the formula since then since that early formula put way too much emphasis on the # of posts a user has. I think someone pointed out that under Clutch's original formula each of DaDakota's rep would be worth around 53 points. Clutch never put the revised formula in that thread I dont think he wanted to since he may have felt that people would try to figure out how much rep they left themselves and ways to boost their own rep giving ability. (of course all of this is just speculation on my part)

There is a limiting factor on who you can give rep to as well If I gave Clutch rep I would have to give rep to X number of people before giving Clutch rep again. I asked Clutch how that worked and he declined to say what the magic number was (probably to stop people from randomly repping others to just re-rep someone they want to)but said people would figure it out soon enough. I think the magic number for that is 20 people. Like you would have to rep 20 other people before re-repping the same poster again (of course you cannot rep the same post twice)

Hope all of that makes sense

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you go to vegas and meet Mario Elie, Sam Cassell, and Daryl Morey you get + rep!

If you post that kobe couldn't guard tmac, then when you click on the thread it's an orlando magic game and on top of that if you do further research, kobe shut tmac down in the 4th quarter and overtime and scored all over him, you don't get +rep

if your name is Clutch, you get +rep

6. Raven

Raven Member

All I know is that if your handle refers to avians or anything feather related, you're pretty much boned.

:(

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'd like to be able to see how is leaving rep... anyway we can get that feature added?

8. The_Yoyo

I assume you meant "who"

I think its better to have it left anonymous on purpose, you can always type in your screenname in the comments section if you wish.

I think its this way because if you saw who repped it you may create an atmosphere of "i scratch your back you scratch mine" where posters who repped someone get repped back for no other reason other than getting repped back.

while being able to tell who repped you will create more accountability i think the cons of enabling a feature like that outweigh the pros

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

29 points! I am on the march!

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I've seen other boards where you can have the option of saying thank you for a member who posted something that was real helpful for you. The post will have all the names underneath it of who left thank you's to that post. Granted, this is mainly on software and computer boards where a member created something that was really helpful to other members.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I got feedback with a grey box and no comment left.

It had no effect on my points total.

WTF does that mean? Can you leave neutral feedback?

12. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Read post #21.

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

How many rep points do you need to add an additional green box under your screen name?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Last time I checked, 50.
    (Or was it 100?)

15. The_Yoyo

you get an additional box at every multple of 100.

"player status" changes at specific values though

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You have 10x my Rep. :eek:

That's crazy. Admittedly I've repped you before, so you earn it.

17. juicystream

50 you become Aaron Brooks, but 100 gets the next box.

18. The_Yoyo

i should get something for you immortalizing one of my many typos on this board shouldnt I? :)

19. juicystream

At least you didn't decide to post on the board how you went to a gay club hooked up with this chick that said she had male parts, then claim you didn't hook up with her, and that she multiple times alluded to having male parts. :D

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/buo7CLv9seE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/buo7CLv9seE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>