1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Does Facebook Select the Friends in Your Friends Box?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OrangeRowdy95, Mar 25, 2012.

?

How does Facebook Select the Friends in your Friends Box?

1. Facebook picks people who have most recently looked at your profile

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Facebook picks the people who most frequently look at your profile

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. It's completely random

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I recently switched over to the Timeline, and there are two friends boxes. Facebook has "randomly selected" six friends in the top box, and eight friends in the wall box.

Somebody once told me that the friends who show up are the ones who have most recently looked at your profile. Someone else said Facebook puts people who frequently look at your profile. Someone else said it's completely random

Anybody have inside scoop on this? I just want to check if someone's stalking me lol. Like the same two people show up in both boxes every day.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The short answer is that I have no idea.

I have always assumed they are completely random, but now that I think about it, I do see a lot of the same people in that box.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Fine, i'll stop looking.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am thinking it is the people you lookup the most.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

6. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I thought about that, but there are people who show up who I NEVER look at. I don't think it's random bc the SAME people show up day after day.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

For security reasons, i don't think they can tell you who looks at your profile. There use to be apps that would tell you who was checking out your profile but fb got rid of them.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It's definitely not random. I think it has to do with Facebook's best guess of who you might know combined with the people who are searching for what might possibly be you. (I barely use facebook and I've had actual relatives come up in the "People You Might Know" box. I also don't use my full name on Facebook - so it's definitely not random. I assume some of my relatives were making searches based on variations of my name, and Facebook's data-mining caught up with it).

The entire reason Facebook is a billion dollar company is because they establish a number of markers that establish your identity and those compare those markers with other markers.

9. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

Definitely this or the people you interact with most

10. DreamRoxCoogFan

she's not interested.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I think it picks the people that you interact with most frequently with a couple of randoms thrown in there.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think this is it. The people I chat and post with the most are def on mine and I am on theirs as well. Then a few randos

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think it's through some sophisticated pentagon-level formula which determines the users best fit for a relationship with you. Much like match.com.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I just now realized that I answered a completely different question than the question the OP was asking.

My bad. I was talking about the 'People You Might Know' thing.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure its based on who you interact with the most. Through likes, comments, inbox messages, pokes, etc.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think facebook does track who is looking at your profile. It recommended for me to add some people who I know in real life but there is no association with any of my friends of facebook. I believe facebook not google is skynet.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Part of it is based on the number of interactions you have with the person, I know for a certain amount of people who I chat with, and post/comment with on a frequent basis, they're always there.

18. what

what Member

lol, yeah it does sound like the guy wants to know if his love interest is looking at his profile. hahahah

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

There's an easier way to do this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xnGnl-UElVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't think there was an app that ever did this. However, there were tons that claimed to do it. There were apps that did show who visited your profile, but it required both parties to have the app. Basically it was the app doing the monitoring, not facebook/myspace.