1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you tune a guitar?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Molotov Cocktail, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Try The Guitar Chord Finder.

Select A 11 under normal chords. Then press midi. It'll play everything but the lowest E as a MIDI sequence.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Um, well, er ... only a drummer wouldn't know what sheep music is!

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Its very baaaadly written music.

Thank You!

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

I will provide you with a cymbal crash for that one...

5. KellyDwyer

Goodnight everybody!

6. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

Some of the songs on Are You Experienced? were tuned down a half-step and some weren't. Purple Haze is one of the ones that's in standard tuning.

7. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

It's albums like this that would drive someone with perfect pitch crazy.

8. Agent27

Agent27 Member

Anybody who has perfect pitch who says that music played out of tune drives them crazy is just showing off. It really doesn't make all that much difference.

I developed perfect pitch about 3 years ago (yes it's possible). Before I had perfect pitch I could tell if people were singing or playing out of tune. I just didn't know what exact note they were playing or how sharp or flat it actually was. Because I'm a musician it annoyed me because I like good music and playing/singing in tune is an essential part of good musicianship.

When I developed perfect pitch it didn't really change the way I felt about people playing out of tune. I just now had the ability to know what note they were playing and just how out of tune it was.

The "annoyance factor" isn't any more extreme for a person with perfect pitch. If you can tell that something is out of tune then you can tell it's out of tune. It doesn't matter if you have perfect pitch or not.

9. droxford

droxford Member

I had a piano tuner come to my house today. I think I'm going to tune it myself next time, using a notebook computer and some free software.

10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

huh...so I can ask you to sing a b flat and you can reproduce it? or hear a note and name it?

That is impressive, I have only met one person in my life that could produce any note that you asked them without hesitation, and this is studying Opera at the University of North Texas--one of the best undergrad colleges of music in the country.

Not calling you liar, just impressed.

11. KellyDwyer

That's not "out of tune," it's just in Eb. Just because a song is in a unorthodox key doesn't mean it's out of tune.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Does having perfect pitch mean being able to sing a note perfectly or just being able to identify it perfectly?

13. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

good question Chang, I have always understood it as both. If you say, produce a b flat, I could most likely come within a half step after I referenced a C in my head and went down a step.

If you played a random note, I would likely be about as close--a half-step off...

14. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

Perfect pitch is the ability to hear a tone and correctly identify it on a musical scale. It has nothing to do with being able to sing the tone. I certainly do not have it.

15. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I don't know but I know that...

[​IMG]

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

[​IMG]

for reminding me how much i despise reo speedwagon