1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you survive the age of propaganda?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingLeoric, Sep 26, 2020.

1. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Does anyone else feel everything is a propaganda these days? No matter who it is, Trump, Pompeo, Biden, Bernie, AOC, Ben Shapiro, Greta, CNN, FOX, China, BLM, Lebron, DD... Or what media it is on, TV, Radio, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, forums, signs in the street... Every message is trying to influence you towards a certain point of view. Every message emphasis certain aspects and downplays some other aspects. They all present you with some facts, but ignore or dismiss other facts. And the more you listen to and engage with a certain point of view, the more you would be be recommended with contents that supports it, until one day it becomes the "truth", polarized views on everything all around the world.

So I am curious for each person, how do u tell the truth from the lies? How do u decide who and what message to believe? How do u ensure you get an objective view on a particular matter?

body slam likes this.
  2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

We survive by turning off the TV, listening to WORD and boycotting everything made in China. So simple isn’t it?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There is no such thing as an objective view.

Nook likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're all imperfect people. Everything can be seen as an illusion on some meta level.

I guess it boils down to what keeps you going. Are you living to help or benefit others? It's a proven way to boost happiness, let alone reinforcing community bonds. Doing so also breaks your comfort zones a little and opens up your world more.

Can you talk to your children convincingly...and will they look at you the same way 20 years from now, and another 20 years...or do they think you were part of the problem?

We're not omniscient. Internet gives the illusion of instant information, but we're all still in the dark during an unfolding catastrophe. Worse off, we expect to know what's happening, so we'll believe any schmuck who convincingly tells us something.

Things change fast. For example, low fat milk better...then skim (taste like ****, but no fat, all benefits!)...then soy (less cruel)...then almond (less girly hormones)...now it's some other nut juice that ruins something less than the other.

Was that disinformation? Someone cared enough to convince others to do it.

"Polarized views" always existed. Without smart phones and internet, we were forced to get along more and might even get used to each other's company.

Now we got digital voices reinforcing what we always felt, and now know, is right.

KingLeoric likes this.
  5. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Lol not even gonna get into if that would work or not, Im not sure if u can do it. Wanna try not using TV, internet and anything made in China for 2 weeks and let us know how it goes?

6. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Hmm interesting view u got there, do u think it's objective?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No

Nook likes this.
  8. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Drown out the noise by going out and making a difference for someone. It’s the only thing that’s reliable.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Booze and cocaine

KingLeoric and body slam like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jimmy Chase and B-Bob like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To amplify #2, stay away from just about all TV news, but especially CNN and Fox.

PBS News Hour show, and Frontline investigation pieces are still pretty solid.

cmoak1982 and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yes I definetly try to influence my kids into thinking in a certain way, particularly what I think would be best for them. But for sure what I think may not be the best for them. Like some Americans genuenly believe their military actions in other countries are good for those people but it may not be. And in a different era what we consider to be common sense today can certainly become ridiculous, like how back in the days slavery was common sense. My kids may definitely look back and say their dad was part of the problem.

For the different milks, I guess I would like to know what did those people want from promoting them. I would guess some just wanted to make more money. Other people want different things other than money, like power, fame, support, being remembered by people as a hero, or genuenly believes one is better than another. Still I wouldn't know if I can trust they spoke honestly giving all the information they had, regardless of their intentions.

"Polarization" existed before but I feel it has been on the rise these days. We are witnessing more and more differences no longer being handled with arguments but with physical violence all over the world. There has also been studies on these trends. [​IMG]

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"So I am curious for each person, how do u tell the truth from the lies? How do u decide who and what message to believe? How do u ensure you get an objective view on a particular matter?"

How do you tell the truth from the lies? With all due respect, how do you not? Your post implies that "they are all the same." Go educate yourself, because they are not all the same.

If you seriously can't tell the difference between Joe Biden and what nearly 4 years of trump has done to your country, how he has created a disaster by lying about the pandemic as he ignores science, how he has attacked our own government, our own career civil servants while kissing up to oligarchs, "strongmen," and dictators like Putin of Russia and Erdogan of Turkey, while attacking our closest allies with the next breath, where on earth have you been?

Rashmon likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Clearly we as country failed on this issue, in an atomically bad way.

It’s an extremely tough issue with the amount of money in politics. It’s hard to blame the people, there is just unbelievable amounts of money being spent to confuse and divide people, to get people to vote against their own interest.

My advice would be, search out experts, not talking TV heads, not politicians, not buddies, not YouTubers, if you can’t individually study a topic, which we can’t for the vast majority of things, find respected scientist, doctors, economist, professors etc

KingLeoric and Jayzers_100 like this.
  15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I actually don’t find it incredibly difficult to discern misleading news from legitimate news. If an article uses incendiary language or any type of personal opinion; there’s absolutely no truth to it. Good journalism doesn’t draw its own moral conclusions; that’s up to the viewer/listener/reader. The Associated Press and Reuters are fantastic sources of no-spin news because they simply report facts with no superfluous commentary to generate clicks

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The BBC, bbc.com on the internet, is an excellent "middle of the road" source for news. They also have a great culture section and loads of other good stuff. I read it often.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To get the truth on all matters, listen only to me.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

1) smoke some weed
    2) listen to joe Rogan
    2) check D&D on clutchfans .

it all comes down to your senses . There’s a little bit of truth in everything . You’re just gonna have to guess , you can have good intuition and be relatively sure. But, Don’t ever think for sure anything is gonna be 100 percent .

take calmness more seriously than panic . Of course people try to highlight certain facts when trying to convince you of something ... if they didn’t need to do that , it wouldn’t be called convincing .

oh a few more things , donate to Wikipedia, talk to people in person , read some books . I credit reading for my imagination and perspective .. and that’s what this is at the end of the day ... Your perspective and common dense

you have a set of differing options for information , you have trouble knowing what’s trustworthy and not . Take some time , check em out , make your own judgement. But keep in mind , that you might just be hearing what you want to hear .

KingLeoric and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’ve been doing that for the longest of time, and my IQs keep rising, no TV and no China products and reading 3 books a week can do that for you.

#19 generalthade_03, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

This guy works in oil and gas. He knows what’s up