1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you respond to/confront a birther?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ChievousFTFace, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I work in downtown Houston and belong to a pretty upscale gym (normally $150/month or so, but I get a pretty hefty discount through my employer).

Almost every day, I listen to older men (typically in their 70s and up) belittle and defacate on the president. It's been over 3 years now and birther talking points have spread like a virus in spite of clear evidence.

Yesterday it was something like:

Birther 1: "Hussein Obama is taking a dump in front of the oval office."
    Birther 2: "He don't know no better. Just nature calling. Animal."
    Birther 1: "He's got Dixie all fired up."
    Birther 2: "He don't even know how fast he's got everybody down here angry. I hate that a$$hole."
    Birther 1: "They need to deport him back to Kenya already."

There's a part of me that just thinks "I can't wait for this ignorance to die" and there's another part that is saddened by clear racism disguised as politics.

I'm sure many of you guys have encountered something along these lines. Have you confronted anybody on their birther/racist views?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I confronted crotchety old racists at Brock Golf course years ago (at a company golf event, they made comments towards a couple of my black co-workers) and except for getting it off my chest, it did no good. At that point in their lives they are so set in their ways, you generally won't affect them one way or the other.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

^
    |
    this

and sticks and stones...

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

The old adage is generally true: Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Serious? How often did you get upset when Bush was insulted night in and night out in the media and hollywood and everyone else in between? It was ok then because it was justified in your opinion, correct?

If it bothers you that much, find a new gym. Arguing over emotional opinions will get you no where. Just look at the D&D.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just say "Cool story bro."

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Haters gonna hate.

8. ChievousFTFace

Justification for their statements? I'm not finding a new gym because it's right across the street from my office.

Complaining about "liberals" bashing Bush, but getting pissy defending those who bash Obama just makes you a giant hypocrite.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just shake my head and move on. Life it too short to worry about other people's political opinions.

I have family members on both side of the political cesspool....er, spectrum. When it comes up on holidays or at other family gatherings, I just politely excuse myself from the conversation and go play with my nephews.

10. ChievousFTFace

That's what I've typically do, unless it happens to be a friend of mine. I make it clear that I strongly disagree with and am ashamed of their views on Obama.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I was not complaining nor defending, was I? I think its silly to insult a president over baseless facts and its more silly to get worked up over it, regardless who's in office. You still have posters here who thinks its ok compare Bush to an ape. I respect the Office and I respect the man who represents the Office, but I so happen to strongly disagree with him. I don't refer to him as an ape, or a native Kenyan or a myriad of other insults directed his way. I do what I have always done, shake my head and walk away. Doing otherwise would ... well, make me a hypocrite.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How do you know they are racist? Can you read their minds?!

13. ChievousFTFace

It is incredibly silly and I will agree that many things that were said about Bush were way over the line (war criminal, etc.).

"Nearly 75% of Americans believe Obama was definitely or probably born in the United States, according to a March 11-13 CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll. More than four in 10 Republicans, however, believe the president probably or definitely was not born in America."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/04/18/arizona.president.bill.veto/index.html?hpt=T1

I enjoy my friendships with my conservative friends. I enjoy a friendly debate and finding middle ground on some issues. But it appears that nobody, especially those on the right, wants to speak up about this issue.

It is an American value that allow us to criticize our government. However, it is also our duty to still confront lies and hate.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

My doctor wanted to belittle the President yesterday while he was operating on my foot. I just told him I thought it was best not to talk politics at work.

I get a lot of it when I am working since I mostly work at Country Clubs, I just don't respond at all, it's passive aggressive but I just continue talking about what I am doing.

In social circles I just tell people, "you know I am pretty liberal right?"

With people I have no interest in I just say " You'd be a lot happier if you listened to more music and less Fox."

15. ChievousFTFace

I am the David Blaine of the D&D!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AYxu_MQSTTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. ChievousFTFace

I guess I could just sneak 100 copies of this into the locker room and leave it around everywhere lol

[​IMG]

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

You don't confront them. Just wait until Obama wins the 2nd term and everyone will stfu about it.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thasss rayciss.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

How do normal, rational, clear thinking Americans confront wild-eyed crazies like the birthers? It truly is like an alternate universe for these freaks. Where does one even begin a dialogue with someone who isn’t even grounded in reality? How do you even begin to discuss the issues that confront the country when someone won’t accept facts as a basis of discussion?

I've never seen anything like it

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it is not over the line to call bush a war criminal. by definition he is exactly that. he lied our country into a war which resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children and he authorized torture, which under u.s. law is a crime punishable by death.

pointing out bush is a war criminal is much different than being a birther.