1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Do You Feel About Jason Terry Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 13, 2014.

1. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Can we all agree that the notion that Derek Fisher almost put on a Rockets jersey is far far more revolting than JET giving it his all in one?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jason Terry is pretty frustrating unless he is red hot from the 3 point line. It's all his good for nowadays.

He is terrible defensively at his age. Doesn't have size to guard SGs and no longer has the quickness to chase PGs. Often dies on a screen. Not his fault he isn't 6'6'' and 26 years old, but it still hurts the team. Pretty glad that we got Brewer and even Shved now so that when we small-ball, we don't end up with Jason Terry stuck on a 6'7'' athletic guy.

On offense, he cannot create a shot for himself or for others. All he does is spot up for 3s and on the rare occasion when he does try to create off the dribble, he often turns the ball over and doesn't really generate positive results too often. For all the talks of "veteran wisdom," Jason terry ****s things up pretty often.

Look at the numbers: 78% of his FGM are assisted. 69% of his FGAs are 3 pointers. He only on assists on 12% of his teammates FGMs when he's on the court and gets 1.2 FTAs per every 10 FGA. Meanwhile, his TO rate of 13.9% is way to high for a guy who doesn't create anything. Look, we got plenty more TO prone guys, but at least these guys **** up while making a move that have a chance at resulting in something positive.

He has some productive games because he can still shoot the basketball. But too often he is Jason the Terry-ble, a.k.a. the Shooting Guard Carlos Boozer-- a veteran with some skills but is too often a negative because he's just 20% slower and 20% worse at everything that he used to be able to do. He may not be much better than a guy Morey can sign off the street (or more realistically, playing in a foreign league).

At this point, I hope that Jason Terry gets used as the contract balancing piece in a trade for Dragic (or whoever) at the deadline. I don't want to see too much more of him in a Rockets uniform.

#242 Carl Herrera, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Sets good screens for a little guy, nice veteran presence, feeds the post well, but other than that he hasn't been very good. Defensively, he has been a minus, and he's practically treading water offensively.

4. Ghost_of_Akeem

Terry will be useful in the playoffs if we can keep his minutes down.

I have a feeling he will hit some big shots for us when we need him to and that's the reason he's here. He's playing the role of Big Shot Bob for us now, which mean's we shouldn't expect him to win us many games in the regular season but what Morey is banking on is his lethal sharpshooting in the playoffs as well as his leadership role.

If that is all we get from him then he was an excellent acquisition, imo. If he doesn't perform in the playoffs then we can tar and feather Morey, but seeing as how you guys have already covered him with tar and feathers I don't know if it will make a difference.

5. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

he was 5-13 tonight
    and dmo was 4-11

that was 24 possesions for dmo in the post....

we could beat anybody with 26 dmo's postups a game

6. Ghost_of_Akeem

We aren't getting Dragic, and he isn't even the piece that we need. Bev and a "healthy" Canaan can guide through the playoffs just fine.

But, if you think landing Dragic despite what we would have to give up will somehow put us over the top then I have some beach front property in Arizona that I think you would like and should take an immediate look at.

7. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

So he is good at his job. Due to the lack of depth and injuries he is being asked to do more than his role requires when the team is healthy.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

^^ dude give it up on bev and canaan the latter can't even get on the floor right now.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Terry at least was hitting his shots. What was Bev doing? He had a hard time chasing Schroeder.

Terry was about to give us the lead when the fake refs called an offensive foul on Howard. That was on top of the bogus traveling call on him too.

You know, someone should just have thrown a drink at the refs tonight.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His defense is killing us. He's basically Troy Daniels.

I would rather see Canaan and Shved backing up. Terry and his contract (which is a valuable asset) can sit on the bench.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

By your logic, almost every player can be "good at his job" as long as you limit the definition of "his job" so as to exclude anything that he is not good at. Francisco Garcia is "good at his job" if you exclude making shots from his job description and focus on glaring intensely at opponents. Robert Sacre is "good at his job" of waving towels and cheering on teammates.

But this is semantics. Whether Terry is "good at how job" but should just have a much smaller job or he is bad at his job, the fact is that we need someone better than him out there playing all these minutes. The team needs guys other than Harden who can create off the dribble for himself and others, this and every team always need guys who can at least defend at an OK level, and we are not getting these needs filled by Terry.

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

WOW @ the hate for Terry, he's doing what we hoped he would do and more and you guys think he should be benched? Especially last night, Beverley was out of control and committed some silly fouls after that great 1st quarter. Terry is at least calm, is money from three and understands what guys are doing offense so while his man on man defense might not be good, he makes up for it with positioning.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Terry gave us what we did not have last night. Why the hatin' ?

If he was a top two way player he would have never been traded ! well duh.

leave my Terry alone ! geeesh...he got totally ripped off last night on the bogus walking call. It was the breaking point in us stealin that game back !

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He was NEVER going to put on that Jersey. He flew here and bought his contract out and left in a Lakers Tshirt, making it clear where his heart it.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Right now he needs to just rest and conserve what he can for the playoffs. He is old. We all know that. The fact he had to haul all those minutes this early in the season due to our depleted injured roster could not be helping. I am glad we got Brewer because we need to rest guys like Ariza and Jason Terry. Ariza and Terry are definitely logging in way too many minutes! I understand there are some players that are going to log heavy minutes during playoff time but for right now there is definitely not a need for everyone to be logging in all some of these minutes. Terry was awesome the first few games. He'll be great again once we can manage his time a little better.

16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Same big mouth old leg. QUITE Duitable FOR US.LOL

17. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Shouldn't trade him unless they can find a way to acquire an elite three point shooter. Especially with Ariza struggling he is the only guy i trust hitting the open three and losing that would really hurt us considering the fact this team chucks up threes the whole game.

If I'm Ray Allen I'm looking at the team and seeing the amount of threes they're shooting and really interested in joining the squad. Im pretty sure we can offer 3 mill for the season which would be a nice paycheck considering most of his other suitors can offer him 3 mill. It just feels like a match made in heavy. Acquire 2 of dragic, wright and ray allen, and I'm confident in our chances to go deep in the playoffs.

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

the hate was purely because of the mavs.. he's a swell guy in my book!