1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about Americans representing China in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's kind of the feeling I get from her too.

She's obviously very talented, very smart, very driven and doesn't give AF about critics. It wouldn't surprise me if she ends up as the next Elizabeth Holmes.

SamFisher likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been to the PRC a lot and to many parts of the PRC. Many Americans don't realize that most people in the PRC also have complaints about the government. The whole Xi Winnie the Pooh thing was thought up by people on PRC social media.

Like many other people though it's easier to criticize your own family than it is to take criticism from outside. When they hear all of the rhetoric against the PRC and Chinese people they do take it personally. Just consider many of the posters from the PRC and how sensitive they are to Americans criticizing their country.

From my own experience though most people in the PRC rather than animosity towards the US generally like the US and are envious of the US to some extent.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup - and its actually amazing how much criticism you can see in China on social media despite the censorship. It was in the NY Times article I linked to in a previous post. A lot of Chinese apparently think Gu is a gimmick and mock that she can't even sing along to the national anthem. They are highly suspicious of the gov't motives in all of this. But there are also a lot of Chinese who drink it up.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

**** nationalism, represent whomever the hell you want, who ****ing cares?

DD

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Pretty much like this...

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Your Amrica hating is ridiculous. Immigrants are treated ****? You're out your God damn mind

Yes it's about money. Money is about freedom. Independence and money go hand in hand. You don't have to be rich in this country to be independent.

God bless freedom
    God bless capitalism
    God bless money

Edit: you seem to live your reality in cable news
    I don't care how much Republicans hate Hispanic immigrants, their employers love them. That's all that matters.

#127 pgabriel, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You're just like the oversensitive Chinese - if you criticize anything about China - "YOU HATE CHINA", and now, because I state something you perceive as negative or critical of America, you seem that I must HATE AMERICA. This is why you can't have debate here, because some fool just walks in and tries to derail a thread by turning things personal. Good job as usual!!!!

As for how immigrants are treated - you are simply very ignorant.

Junebball likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Olympics is a television program. There is nothing wrong with that, you just have to accept it. I haven't been caught up in having an emotional attachment in so long I have forgotten

I just appreciate any high level of athletic display

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're over sensitive to something that only exists in your head. Where are all the immigrants complaining about being treated like ****?

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t care all that much. They could randomly assign athletes to countries and it wouldn’t make much of a difference to me. The Olympics are interesting in how they showcase athletic excellence, which I attribute to the contestants and their trainers. Not so much the countries.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sorry that immigrants don't go on social media and complain for you to read about.

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The question of whether immigrants are treated poorly or fairly depends entirely on your perspective on how a government, a country, or it’s people should treat immigrants.

On one end of the spectrum, there are those who feel that immigrants come here because it’s better than the sh-thole that they left, therefore America has already treated them well by letting them come here to begin with (or by not actively keeping them out or expelling them). So they should just shut up and dribble so to speak.

On the other end, there are those who feel fairness and equity are ideals and goals that government, society and American culture should strive toward, and on that grading curve, immigrants are treated like crap.

Having gone through the experience myself, and having extended family and friends who have gone through the immigrant experience from childhood to adulthood, I can only opine that this country has miles and miles to go if you care anything about concepts like fairness, equity and decency toward immigrants.

In my life experience, there is no cohort (my experience is comprised of Hispanic and Asian immigrants) that is more decent, hard working, family oriented. That is not to say that there aren’t other groups that are just as strong in these areas. But speaking to the immigrant cohort, yeah, they deserve better. Deserve because while they have made much of the imperfect opportunities provided in this country, they have made an outsized contribution to their communities through decency, hard work, paying into the tax base way more than they extract, and any other objective measure you can think of. Not murderers and rapists from the sh-thole countries.

immigrants, we get the job done.

And half the time we are doing your job too.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

well said!

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I work with Hispanic construction workers. They love it here. You're ASSUMING. You think social media upsets them?

Edit: on large buildings, contractors use a company, Steal Masters to put up the frames. Most of the welders are Spanish 1st speakers. You know how much money they're making? I doubt they care much about stupid Republican hatred. It hasn't manifested into actual legislation making their lives more difficult

#135 pgabriel, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He hasn't said anything differently from me.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dude, just stop. It's painful to have a discussion with you.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Read the edit. You haven't backed up your claims so don't talk ish

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry for thread derailment. There are plenty liberals on this board but Sweet Lou's negativity of America's treatment about anyone who isn't a white male is extra and it's annoying

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’d care more if it was the real Olympics. Not this fake Olympics that was created by department stores to boost winter sales.