1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about Americans representing China in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2022.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The reason railroads hired Chinese immigrants was because they were healthier than Americans because of their diet.

per History Channel

tinman likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there was only reason. That may have been one of the benefits but was far from the only reason the Chinese workers were hired.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you should check out "Warrior' on HBO, it's based on that era.
    @rocketsjudoka

pgabriel likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be interested in seeing that citation as this is the first I’m hearing about and have not see anything like it any other histories about the Chinese Railroad workers.

What I have read is that the Chinese were willing to work for very cheap and put up with much more privation than other workers. Including the Irish. On the West too there were many Chinese workers with a seemingly endless supply. The Chinese as non-white couldn’t become citizens at that time along with had much fewer rights than many other Americans which made them more attractive as a labor source.

Many died building the Transcontinental railroad and sayings like “Chinaman’s chance” expressed how dangerous the work was. While Chinese lives were considered to be less valuable than railroad ties.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Actually the show does address many of those issues.

tinman likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I probably shouldn't have written it as the main reason but the history Channel did mention it to be a factor

As far as Chinese workers being willing to work for less they weren't pushover. They staged strikes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...railroad-workers-staged-era-s-largest-n774901

This has information about their health compared to other workers

tinman likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sure some of them did try to fight back. It’s telling that they had to end that strike with no success after they were starved out.

Another part of US history that isn’t known is that Chinese were lynched. One reason why there isn’t a Chinatown in Denver is because it was destroyed in pogrom similar to what happened in Tulsa.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Coolie labor is cheaper than hiring locals. Today, it's not politically correct to use the term coolie but the practise of importing them still exists.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love history channel

you know that Ancient Aliens has been on for like 14 seasons ??

pgabriel likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hope you didn't mistake my posting about Chinese Railroad workers as support about immigrants being treated fairly today. My mistake, I just think the health factor should be remembered

Edit: that was standard treatment for all workers in those days but obviously the Chinese were treated worse. Strikers were treated badly 50 years after these events while trying to gain the benefits workers enjoy today

#230 pgabriel, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022