1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do we avoid the Suns mistakes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, May 15, 2022.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I've actually said this entire past year that I wanted us to emulate the Suns. Just don't blow a bunch of lottery picks like they did and wind up in the basketball wilderness for a decade.

We're tanking and getting high picks(like they did) and we're gonna have a bunch of cap space next summer to bring in a vet or two(like they did with CP3). And even better, we'll have those Nets picks and swaps to keep restocking our team with young talent.

As embarrassing and inexcusable as that loss at home was last night, Phoenix was within 2 wins of an NBA title a year ago. So it's not exactly like they're the worst franchise to mimic. Let's just hope the young stars we build around aren't lightweights in pressure situations like Booker and Ayton.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

By not allowing the likes to Jalen Brunson and Spencer Dinwiddie beat you. Luka is Luka; you know what you're getting from him every night. The Suns managed to keep Dinwiddie neutered for 6 games and let him uncork a 30 piece on them in a Game 7. That's just inexcusable. Their offense sucked balls but you can't compound a bad night on the offensive side by letting the Spencer's of the world torch you like that. Benching Ayton, I don't know what the situation there was about, was a mistake considering the guy was averaging 20/10 the past two games and was the anchor for your post defense. At one point Dallas was doing lay up drills without Ayton on the court.

hakeem94, red5rocket and Rashmon like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

They made plenty of mistakes along the way but I think they built a team that was completely capable of winning it all.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

passing on luke, who i thought was the best prospect since lebron just to draft a guy who went to college in the same area might be the most insane thing i've ever seen (outside of maybe the kings passing on him to take bagley)

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I don't see a "mistake" per se..... Mavs hit 48% of 39 3PA..... that's pretty hard to win against.

Suns have been a success regardless of an embarrassing game 7 home loss.

Corrosion, hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  6. Damion Laverne

- hit on your draft picks
    - emphasize long, lanky, 3/D wings
    - more switchable bigs
    - less emphasis on small guards
    - smart free-agent signings/trades

Your front office has to make bold and smart choices regarding personnel.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t have the owner meddle and think he knows what he’s doing

I wonder how much influence Sarver had in drafting Ayton? Will they pay him this offseason?

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sure but they don't want to pay the guy they took over Ayton, they went all in on an injured old PG who doesn't have the best reputation in the playoffs, and they also took the wrong guy at 1. You take Luka and you don't have to go get CP3

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sun is still a good team but why did they bench Ayton? Ayton is going to leave Phoenix this summer I’m hoping they will take Wood and Gordon for Ayton. Booker was suppose to play like a MVP player but he was being outplayed by Bronson.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The move to acquire CP3 was a massive success and definitely the right one. Let's not forget, there was some "Booker wants out" buzz before they got CP3. Both Booker and Ayton benefitted from playing alongside him. Plus, they didn't give up much to get him and he extended on a deal that is a not unreasonable. It's not like they chose CP3 over another All Star PG; that was their only option.

Obviously, Ayton over Luka was wrong. It was wrong at the time and always will be. There is no excuse for that. But that's just a bad draft choice. I don't know what we could learn from that other than we should take the generational talent if one is available.

And I think even if they had gotten Luka that getting CP3 would still be advisable. CP3 is really good.

dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Are we seriously acting like the Suns weren't in the Finals just last year, and had as good a chance as any team to win one this year?? Yes they lost in a Game 7 at home....but the Suns are NOT a failure story. This toxic mentality that every team that doesn't win a championship is a flaming pile of **** has got to stop.

12. H. Christopher

Jalen Green will be better than Booker

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Exactly what I was going to say. As I have said and will say again Durant f*cked the rockets forever and always going to the warriors with the cap jumping. The team won 73 games and gets a player like Durant. So now Paul and Harden are forever losers and failures because they ran into a Buzzsaw that potentially no other team in history could beat.

hakeem94 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nothing is wrong with the Phoenix Suns. They had one of the top records in the league. Chris Paul can’t carry a team anymore but he’s still one of the best PG’s in the league. Booker got hurt. They probably should have added more scoring power at the deadline, but they will retool and be right back where they were next year. As long as they have Booker they can retool round him and rebuild around him when CP3 retires. The Suns are in good shape, not sure why folks are saying the sky is falling. Anyone can lose a playoff series when their best player is injured. Anyone who has had a hammy knows you don’t come back from it in a week.

#54 Aruba77, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Booker is not a star

Star/franchise player don't respond to off season training like this at all.

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

You're not wrong.

xaos, VickMackey and H. Christopher like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I heard something smart thing morning too about the West and the higher variance with these teams with small ball lineups in terms of series to series matchups. The Harden era Rockets teams were a good example of where the NBA is now.

I can see the potential for the Suns to trade Ayton this offseason, and make a deal to actually get smaller, and more flexible on offense. Not making the trade for EG this trade deadline looks dumb now, but it's still an example of some deals they could make to get more shooting, and get more options for small ball lineups. Either way, with Booker, Bridges, and even an aging CP3 on their roster I think they'll at least be in the mix the next two years.

Next year the West will be deep but not very top heavy which will make it that much more interesting. If the Rockets can get a huge hit with their pick this year and develop some nice role players this season I feel good about being an interesting team for the 23-24 season. Hell maybe we are a play-in team this next season for all we know.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Easy

1) Don’t pass on a Luka level player for a mostly 1 way center.
    2) Don’t skip out on an all-in type move for a player like EGo when you have a championship contending roster.

BHannes2BHonest and KingSamJack like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How about we actually make it to an NBA finals before talking about avoiding becoming them.

I'd take their run the last two years over the Harden era any day.

hakeem94, red5rocket and VickMackey like this.
  20. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Facts

hakeem94 likes this.