1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do the rockets stack up in the current western conference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

right now I see the lakers in there own tier

And after that I think it's pretty open

Suns will be much better

Blazers a better team and healthy now

Warriors w/no klay lose some steam. Not a title contender, but still in the playoff mix

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Other than the Lakers, pretty much all ten teams below them are pretty much equal in talent. Some slightly less, but still have enough to be taken seriously. The Rockets, oddly enough, might be the biggest unknown. They could be the 2nd best team in the West, and they could be the 2nd worst. I think we'll find out REALLY quickly in the season and if the team struggles, you might see a blow up of the roster.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We need length on the perimeter and help defense from the weak side. Boogie is not a good defender plus is mobility is terrible in the paint.
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Nuggets / No Grant but Murray and Joker
    Rockets/Mavs- who ever is healthier
    Blazers
    Pelicans - will be fun and win games
    Suns/Jazz
    Wolves/ Jazz
    Will

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

are you talking about with or without harden/russ?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some dark horse teams I can guarantee you that.

Some teams that are non playoff contenders do better in regular season than others.

I would like to watch Anthony Edwards ball out and go crazy!

#5 daywalker02, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. dmoneybangbang

Really hard to say..... feel like in the middle of the playoff hunt. The key is still Harden..... If we see another season of extreme isoball then the roster lasts until midseason trade deadline.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Agreed. question when dust settles:

1. Are James and Russ still here and will they act like PROs?
    2. New coach different system, how well will it work?
    3. Will we be better defensively?
    4. Offensive consistency at a high level, can we still score 110-115 ppg while holding teams to 95-105ppg?
    5. Rebounding?

I think Russ will excel with Silas because he will not be "slot shamed" (you know what I mean) when he starts draining 2's again.

Only time will tell!

dcfma and BigShasta like this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Can somebody update who exactly is on our roster all players with two way contracts and the twelve man roster. Gonna try
    Tucker
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Gordon
    Woods
    Ben Mac
    Clemons
    Chandler?
    Nwamba
    Tate three year deal
    Martin ?
    Prince?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets are clearly behind the Lakers and Clippers

If they get a bought in Harden and Westbrook, then they have a shot at 3rd, but that's unlikely given their current situation. I'd say Dallas, Utah, and Denver, maybe Portland, are probably favored to be above them at this point. Klay injury probably keeps us ahead of Golden State.

#9 J Sizzle, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  10. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

iso ball for Harden is ok because he can get 1 to 4 point, but not for other players. We just need a good goal tender like Cousins to grab 20 plus rebounds to secure the runs and get 2nd time offence even more offence. We just need one good player to limit Leborn is ok. I really hope Ariza will be cut and join Houston again

jdiggidy likes this.
  11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I still think the Rockets are 3rd or 4th best team in the West. It’s the two LA teams and then a toss up between Houston and Denver.

The Suns are going to be fun to watch and I think they will make the playoffs.

Here is how I think the West will end.

1. Lakers
    2. Clippers
    3. Houston
    4. Denver
    5. Dallas
    6. Portland
    7. GSW
    8. Phoenix
    9. Utah
    10. NOLA
    11. San Antonio
    12. Memphis
    13. Minneapolis
    14. OKC
    15. Sac

dcfma and BigShasta like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Minny has Rosas, friend of Morey's.

Also Memphis are always around 8-10th.

I hope that SAS trades Derozan.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Lol espn jsut did a segment on harden and brought up the potential starting lineup for Houston with Gordon Russ Harden Tucker and Cousins starting. I would hope that Woods would be starting but they barley brought him up. He did play in a small market so they probably don’t know much about him.

D-rock and AceOfSpades like this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As long as Harden/Westbrook are engaged, which I have no doubt they will be, we will be middle of the pack for sure. The problem is that we have lots of unknowns as far players that will have large roles in this team.

As good as Christian Wood has been the last half of last season, we don't know how his body will react to being asked to play heavy minutes against much bigger centers. We also don't know if his motivation has been getting a contract or if he really has turned a corner as The Ringer article indicates that was posted on a separate thread.

Boogie Cousins, health is a major concern. Will he stay healthy? I have no doubt that despite his leg injuries, he is going to be a good player, but I just don't know if he will last the whole season or if he will go out again due to some other unfortunate injury.

PJ Tucker, father time may finally hit him this year and he can suddenly become unproductive. I'm hoping that's not the case, but we've seen this happy before with the David Wesley's, Bobby Sura's, or Jon Barry's, they just got old fast.

EG, will he be the trash player he was last season? I sure hope not.

All the other young guys are toss ups and I am hoping we get some good production out of them. As it stands, we will have a strong starting group, but the bench may lose a lot of leads. Lets hope we have some players that will develop. Middle of the pack, which would be 4 - 6 seed sounds about right. James Harden is that damn good.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hate to say it but this is about where I am right now. I just don't see the Rockets' motivation being very good, at least not in the regular season. let's hope they get hot in the playoffs and sweep the table

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I expect Denver and Dallas to struggle a bit with the Nuggets losing Grant and the Mavericks trading away their best 3 point shooter. It's definitely still the Lakers' conference to lose as it seems most teams in the West are either hurt, got internal issues, or are keeping the powder keg dry for Giannis or other free agents next summer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns finished in the Top 5 in the West.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the Clippers are equally volatile.

Kawhi is so introverted that he doesn't communicate much with the staff, teammates.

PG13 doesn't play well enough in the postseason.

I do not think it was all Doc's fault, they just didn't account for their stars' personalities.

j@amc and dobro1229 like this.
  18. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

With . Without they aren't relevant

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We’re a 6th seed team.

Our pieces just don’t fit well, we don’t have defenders and WB is a terrible fit with Harden.

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Did Minny do anything this offseason though? I didn’t hear anything.

I can see Memphis having a better record than SAS but they are still super young and I don’t think they’re better than Phoenix, NOLA or Utah. Memphis might squeak into the playoffs bc it will be super tight between the 8-12 seeds like it always is in the West.