1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Do Jewish People Thrive Under Oppression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 22, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What wut?

So what happens if there are no Jew or Black candidates for the job or are not qualified?

Thats a lot of generalization going on there.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Guessing everyone will be called an anti-semite before this is over.

I think there's pretty good fit for the modern era. Not sure if it explains how Jews survived a few thousand years of diaspora.

I'd say it's something to do with how insular Judaism is. The Law includes a bunch of rules to set Jews apart from the gentiles they live among or next to. Rules on how to worship, how to work, what to wear, what to eat, etc all insulate Jews somewhat from intermingling. And because they set themselves apart, there is strong internal cohesion and community identity. Their history of oppression only intensifies that cohesion.

Andre0087, mdrowe00, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

If there are no candidates then the reachout will take place.

This is where it operates outside the lines and heavy reliance on friends and family.

Business purpose becomes secondary.
    I think its a protectionism mindset and I get the why. I find it amusing when it jumps the shark like you see in hollywood or other overt instances.

It honestly makes me laugh how overt it is sometimes.

From a down trodden persecuted persons mindset they will only see what they see. Walk a mile in their shoes i get it and from that perspective they deserve the odd win when hiring manager is same as them. My point is its not subtle as much nowadays when it happens. Its funny double standard and gives me the irony double standard giggles

tinman likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By definition they were never stripped of their culture and identity.

Black Americans were. If you look at Nigerians who have come to this country, they are one of the most educated and wealthiest groups in America.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed. We have to move on from the anger of slavery. My ancestors survived slavery. I am proud of that. I start my heritage right there and am not ashamed and trying to bring other heritages down.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? Bring other heritages down? What the hell are you talking about?

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Also relevant is to look into American culture and what it's shifting into. When white folk start to take their lives or abuse opioids,what does that mean on a cultural level,,, This decay is definitely growing in middle America and the South

Like Black American culture, White American culture is really a stew of other cultures that managed to live beyond the first generation.

With industrial marketing since the 50s, it's become whatever cultural media has nudged us toward.

I like to think Americans are still forward thinking, problem solving optimists but the drag of consumerism in it's constant goading of our inherent inadequacies and unfulfillment is the cause for a lot of our anxieties of an uncertain future where we aren't manifestly at the top.

The shift from praising hard working industrialists to filthy rich financiers or influencers filters all the way to the bottom. It questions or destroys old values while deepening schisms between generational classes.

I guess this is a challenge for every country but our country is definitely unique given how we're so ready to want to break it up despite acknowledging how we all need each other to make the whole damn thing work

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's not anger. When your culture and identity, your family history, and family values have all been stripped the process by which generational knowledge is broken.

The values I have and the way I am is shaped by my father and mother who were shaped by their parents who were shaped by their parents and so on.

When black Americans got their freedom, they had only known a life of misery and servitude. They didn't know how to survive in society and were pushed into ghettos. What did they have to pass on to their children? And their children inheriting nothing had nothing in turn to pass on. Yes some are able to escape overcoming that void and create a culture they can pass on. And it's amazing that blacks have gained any level of success since at some point someone in the line had to overcome that.

It's not anger. It's the generational cycle that has many blacks still trapped. It's not fair to say just get over it when you have never been given the basic tools or structure to achieve, when you aren't even taught as a child that you are capable of achieving. You say the parents need to do that, but the parents were never themselves taught they could achieve.

Slavery may be over, but its effects have been passed down. Just like the positives of a culture get passed down, the lack of one is a negative. It's easy to say suck it up, but a child can't do that and it's crazy to expect that.

To truly exorcise the evil of slavery, the US must break this cycle for African Americans. We as a nation owe that to blacks. They were key in building this country, and we left them for the most part a broken people in return. That's not right. And they way to fix it is to work with the progeny - the children - to help them break this vicious cycle.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

115 average IQ.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's really not how it works.

Not saying it does not happen at all, I just don't think it's that widespread.

13. malakas

malakas Member

They did lose something extremely crucial. Their language. Hebrew is a dead language that was artificially revived.

I would rate language pretty high up there when it comes to culture and identity.

JumpMan and Nook like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Jews as a demographic are better educated with almost 80 percent attending at least some college and they divorce at a lower rate much like Asians. Their success correlates with these two factors.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't need a lesson on black history. A victim ultimately has to do the work to get over their anger or whatever you want to call the issues

White folks
    The government
    CRT
    Money

Or none of that **** will make us whole. It's our job

16. rockbox

At the end of the day, the black community has to overcome these issues and obstacles themselves. No matter how woke white people get, they will not solve the issues for the black community. White people can only get out of the way. The community has to figure out a way to emphasize the importance of education, the importance of keeping both parents around, and celebrate and be inspired by black success. There have been 19 black CEO's of fortune 500 companies, but I would guess most black youths couldn't even name one. Instead of just breaking the cycle, you have to create new cycles.

JumpMan likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Breaking the cycle = creating a new one.

Many of those black CEO's got there because either their parents or further up had some help in escaping. I've seen first hand what mentoring a kid in a ghetto can do.

Who is going to create that new cycle?

People act like you have to let these kids figure them out themselves, or as @pgabriel asserts - it's a black people's problem and they are responsible to fix it.

It's not. It's an America problem. It costs $50k a year to incarcerate a person - guess who pays that cost. We do. All of us. Not to mention the lost tax dollars that a person in prison doesn't generate. So it's a double hit on the economy.

If we invest in kids early on, and just by helping them succeed to the point that they don't end up incarcerated, we'll see an ROI on our tax dollars. In other words, it's the fiscally responsible thing to do.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Thess type of platitudes never work in human history. A collective group of people who were oppressed from economic growth from things like housing discrimination and criminal justice discrimination don't magically change culture out of willpower.

These type of platitudes are good for the individual but to solve the problem systemically you have to even the playing field somewhat. You change culture by changing socioeconomic conditions. Culture is a mere effect, not a cause.

I think the massive gap in homeownership between black and white families is one of the largest causes for the massive socioeconomic divide and that gap is a product of abject racist housing discrimination policies from banks adhering to the racist market( white people not wanting to live next to black people thus black people inherently lowering property values by merely moving in preventing banks from desiring to hand out mortgages to black folks). And the brunt of this discrimination happened during some of the cheapest eras of real estate during the suburban housing boom that created the white middle class by handing out ultra cheap mortgages to blue collar high school educated white families in mass. They got theirs and during the past half century the property values of those homes white people horded back then rose in value multiple fold giving a massive capital and wealth divide between the two races.

That had to be amended somehow. This is where I think reparations make sense. Maybe offering new home mortgages to black families at the price white families got when redlining was legal.

#58 fchowd0311, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
  19. rockbox

I agree with that. I can tell you first hand that the black kids in my upper middle class neighborhood pretty much have their pick of top tier universities. My friend's kid got accepted to Duke. She's a straight A student and plays basketball at a decent level. They work really hard and their parents don't cut them any slack. Family environment is the number 1 factor in future success.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes a strong family unit is easier to maintain in a upper middle class neighborhood with proffesional working parents with higher salaries and more freedom in their scheduling and more economic freedom to have a full time stay at home parent along with probably being zoned to a well funded school district. That's the point.