1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Do Jewish People Thrive Under Oppression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 22, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yom Kippur faints

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I grew up Catholic. 12 years of Catholic schools. Catholicism interestingly doesn't talk about salvation like Protestantism.

The whole idea of being born again is not something Catholics stress. Its weird because its Christianity and Salvation is the whole point of Christianity but coming from someone raised Catholic, Catholic guilt is a real thing

#22 pgabriel, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  3. Buck Turgidson

Ah, nice, a good ol' Catholics vs Jews thread. What could possibly go wrong?

4. DonatelloLimestone

I wouldn't deduce it to that, go and look at the bible quotes, there is PLENTy of punishment adn there are followers who take that to heart. There are different interpretations of judaism too, just like islam, you get a whole different experience in the orthodox belief vs the more secular approach.

If i had to take a guess, from all the museums, and passion the community really had to get together after the holocaust and build an identiy and a close knit community and trust to make sure that never happens again. The remembrance of that makes people work much harder, makes you have that chip, makes you have a crazy drive seeing where you came from and the blessings of where you can go.

Its inspirational to see the resilience, perseverance, and prosperity after such a crazy ordeal. Its also odd to see them decide to control medicine, water, electricity, and create an open air prison and then also have collateral damage to all the hospitals and schools and then ask them when they have no freedom in the place they grew up, their parents grew up, their grandparents grew up and they can't open business, import goods, and say why are you guys screaming and not building a country. You can't control your own borders, you can't bring goods even medicine for treatment, no community can propsper in those terms

And no, in a hostage situation if the hostage is standing behind 5 kids. You don't shoot them all and say he used them as human shields

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57142627

The next generation witnessing this cyclical violence to perpetuate more terrorism for the suits, hamas and the netanyahu to keep their power. Trump, the 'master of negotiation', just gave them what they want and saying thatll bring peace, biden who has always went to bat for them only saying they had bad 'pr' continues to sell them arms recently as last week and stays weak and mum.

As we do in the yemen war when we provide Arms to Saudi.

Don't forget, MAndela was on the terrorist list in USA before he was a hero and we supported the SA apartheid until we couldn't.

Governments can get it wrong, in america he populace can be louder. When we went to iraq or heck even vietnam, if you railed against it as usual the Suits made our brave soldiers who just follow orderes their shields and called people not patriotic. They just do what keeps them in power and history keeps ryhming

AkeemTheDreem86 and pgabriel like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank for your alternative reasoning. Resilience is a better word than discipline

Nook likes this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

I'd argue something similar is the in asian success model. The immigrant parents who come here and work their tail off and make sure their kids know it too. Likewise, its odd thing that latin immigrants get a bad rep. Have you been to the farms or you're back ktichen in most restaurants? Have you seen even the guys who rail against their immigration, like trump, always apply for the visas for mainly latin workers? Most americans won't work those jobs with the terrible pay, terrible conditions, and hours and do it quietly. They are the backbone of our broken economics of agriculture propped up by subsidies. I'm all for making a line, make immigration organized and handled better, but how they disparage them and then hire them themselves is an odd thing.

In any case, adversity can bring the best out of some people. Especially if its communicated and used as a stepping stone in an organized fashion as a community like some of the above. Its never so simple and some of it is outright unjust, but thats just some analysis when you see what makes people tick I hear those concepts a lot from immigrants

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. bobrek

Depends on one's interpretation of salvation. As Catholics we are taught that we are "saved" and "reborn" once we are Baptized.

Andre0087, Ubiquitin and pgabriel like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

The 3 Immutable Truths of Western Religion:

Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Son of God
    Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the head of the Christian Church
    Baptists do not recognize each other at the liquor store

plutoblue11, Nook, jiggyfly and 6 others like this.
  9. bobrek

Your 3rd is wrong.

Baptists pretend to not recognize each other at the liquor store.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!” He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”

He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?” He said, “A Christian.” I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me, too! What franchise?” He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?” He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”

He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said, “Me, too!”

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.” I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Consumerism?

Nook and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Spoken like a true Papist ;)

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

15. bobrek

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 4.58.58 PM.png

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

pgabriel, I think it is a good question for a thread.

Everything I will write in the following paragraphs is obviously a generalization, but some trends seem clear to me.

My personal impression is that it starts within the families, and there are quite some similarities between Asian families and Jewish families in one regard:

Emphasis on education.

Jews have been winning over 20 % of Nobel prizes, even though they only make up 0.2 % of the world's population.
    Muslims, on the other hand, make up more than 20 % of the world's population and have won less than 0.2 % of Nobel prizes.

https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article95792072.html

Personally, I have observed one additional thing, which seems a bit different to me in the way Asians and Jews strive for success: Asians seem to be more focused on "climbing the ladder within the system", whereas Jewish culture seems to encourage entrepreneurship and a culture of invention much more.

One driving force for all of this seems to be the role of the mother within families to me. Asian mothers and Jewish mothers plant an expectation of achievement in their children. Education is seen as super important. Sometimes, at least in Asian families (I am half Korean, I know of some examples) this leads to unrealistic pressure under which children crack, it can get as bad as young people committing suicide just because they didn't make it "into the best university".

If you have a culture where mothers pamper their sons as if they were future kings and where the mothers do not have the standing or education themselves to encourage them to strive for education, and where through generations, there is a victim mentality and an expectation to get handouts, and everything is blamed on others (like the Jews), then failure perpetuates itself.

Again, these are all generalizations - I am just hiring a female leader from a Muslim family - her family came to Germany as immigrants and just happened to raise their children more "like Jews would raise their children" - emphasis on education. With that attitude, anyone can achieve anything.

But that is the key.

And that attitude appears to much more strongly be part of Jewish culture than any other culture (except Asians - but in their case, it's more about "succeeding within the system" rather than being entrepreneurial and inventive).

mikol13 and JumpMan like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Of all the sets(groups) of people I see the most:

- jew hiring managers hire other jews more than anything else
    - black hiring managers hire other blacks more than anything else
    -aggie hiring managers hire other aggies more than anything else

its a problem but also just part of the deal. If i call about a job and the hiring manager is black or jewish i know i have zero chance. Zero with a capital Z

I get the why. But it is kinda funny( and a bit creepy in a non business purpose way)creepy to me when it becomes overt. And its overt more and more these days.

I dont see this with the hispanic culture and some of the most racist weird anti immigration anti hispanic are 2nd generation hispanics. You would think they might embrace their similar and hire like jewish and black people do. But they dont.
    They view them as competition.

Nice thread btw lol

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It serves no extra business purpose or any kind of useful info but if the person is jew, black, or aggie you can bet your ass they will talk about it and literally that is all its about.

Identity.

I get it. Be proud.
    Have atm socks and atm aggie toothbrush and carry it everywhere. But remind me how it serves any business purpose that the person is aggie or jew. I suppose we need a mix so run that org chart filter and sort by race and religion. Its not business minded once you do that.

Seth rogen is an example where all he talks about is being jewish and im going to walk over there and be jewish..

Literally no one cares but yet its always the topic. Its weird honestly

How do you know someone went to harvard? They will tell you they went to harvard

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A lot of the perceptions of Asian "success" is a byproduct of Western nations having a selectivity filter when chosing those immigrants with merit based filters like student visas and h1b1 visas. We are chosing the smart ones that already have some wealth to come here disproportionately. There are plenty of Asian families if you actually go to an Asian country that don't give a **** about education. They typically are too poor to ever immigrate to the US or some other western nation so white people never see them.

People who think culture is a cause rather than an effect of conditions experienced naturally and socioeconomicly usually are the most bigoted and believe in some magical notion of cultural supuroirity rather than more natural causality reasons.

Fore Jewish people it's probably the fact that out of all the Abrahamic religions, Jewish people didn't restrain themselves to the stupid notion that making money off of interest payments is "wrong" allowing them to gain financial success back in the day when Christians and Muslims refrained from interest lending. Good on them to not be chained to something stupid.

#40 fchowd0311, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021