1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do customers feel about fountain drinks at take out places

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Definitely someone else. Hotballa is in NY, and owns his own place I believe.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Y'all are acting like the customer demanded a free meal because the fountain root beer was out.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Would you give him his money back if his flavor wasn't available?

4. Major

Major Member

The customer is not taking advantage of the business by making this request. Ordinarily, he would be able to get the fountain drink in X flavor at Y price. All he's asking is that, since the business is out of that, if they provide the same product at the same price from another source. It's not like the customer was trying to get a discount or scam the system or anything.

I also find bigtexxx's opposition to Yelp amusing. I always thought a core concept of efficient free markets was transparency and maximizing available information for consumers to make decisions.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Do you even read, bro? I don't have an opposition to yelp. I said it's caused some customers to act like pricks. There are many benefits about yelp that I like.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Yelp reviews are so misleading. I think every restaurant I've been to that's highly rated is sub-par.

7. bigtexxx

Consider the source on this post, folks. 29,000+ message board posts, no contribution to clutch. Cheap

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

While I can't imagine the person that actually requests this, I think you just give it to them. It's a one time thing. You're likely making somewhere in the area of a couple hundred % margin on your fountain drinks (little more profitable in a restaurant than fountain drinks)...so losing out on one won't kill you and you have a happy customer.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was really just speaking generally about my experiences working in retail. We had repeat customers constantly trying to scam us when I worked for Enterprise and even though our area manager knew it, he would still tell us to lube up, bend over and take it like a man just so the customer wouldn't fill out a negative customer survey.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think it's taking advantage only if the customer escalated.

Asking simple questions like that is opportunistic and a part of negotiation.

This is just a continuation of the transaction from a failure to deliver product expectations.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if you're worried about giving one customer a $1 discount on a soda you might have bigger problems.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd make sure said customer is not a Harvard professor, and then tell him no.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Customers are idiots too which is why Uber, for example, has drivers review riders.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Na, it's not the same, you do not need to honor that price. If it is out, it is out. If you had no bottles, would you then be able to charge fountain drinks for the same price as a bottle? Hell no. It's a 2 way street.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Honestly, giving out a bottle is not a big deal, but the problem is the same people who want that are the same types who ask for 10 extra sides of sauces, and now Auntie Anne charges 92 frigging cents for each sauce because 5% of the population want to drown their pretzels in cheese dip.

Most of you guys are reasonable people, and like leroy, can't even imagine the mindset that goes into that kind of request. That is the majority of my customers as well. It's just that 5% that thinks they can do anything they want, short of taking a crap on the floor, just because they are spending money at a restaurant.

16. bigtexxx

I've seen a cultural element to this as well. I won't mention which group does this to avoid a schitfit starting up, but I've noticed immigrants from a certain country treat waiters and restaurant owners like complete trash. They think they own the place, and the waiters are subhumans who have to obey every ridiculous request that comes from the customers' mouths. It's honestly embarrassing to dine with these folks, because I don't want to be lumped in with the way they treat waitstaff and restaurant owners. Bargaining over everything and then even being stingy on the tip. I've determined it's a cultural issue, because it's so prevalent based on my own experience.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bigtexxx just flat out delivers, you gotta give him credit. The guy is consistent.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's a different product. Fountain vs. bottle.

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I don't think it's required, but it's probably a good idea (especially if you aren't losing money on it).

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you are hilarious when not taken seriously.