1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did the US get so fat over the last 25 years?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Apr 13, 2013.

1. calcium

calcium Member

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

as always...what are the key findings in any male study that has anything to do with anything

women and bacon

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Classical periods correlate to peak in food abundance. The US has so much food most of it is junk. Sedentary life-styles, cheap foreign labor, wars, bubble economy and welfare probably round out the remaining big factors. If you are fat, it is probably (99% likely) your fault. Good rant.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems like it's a combo processed starch/sweets and an ongoing transition to white collar office life.

We b**** about junk or processed foods killing us, but don't realize how convenient and addictive it is and eat more than we should.

Not to say it should be banned but the infrastructure has been fine tuned towards its cheap distrobution.

6. opticon

opticon Member

Rather there make a long drawn out post I will let Netflix do the talking.
    Watch foodmatters , forks over knives and fat sick and nearly dead.

As of the last month if it was not grass fed , hormone free or caught in the wild my family will not it eat.

7. bigtexxx

what are some of the key findings

do some of you guys really think we're going to go watch a movie to pull out a couple insights? You've seen it, what are the 2 key points bro?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard this argument often but I will point out that some of the skinniest people and longest lived people in the World diet's are primarily grain based, rice, and low in fat.
    Those diets are also low in processed sugar too so I would agree with this but I don't think a grain based low fat diet is responsible for obesity. If that were the case then older Japanese people would be the fattest and shortest lived people in the world when the opposite is the case.

9. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

People have forgotten the meaning of the term saitety (and I ironically may have forgotten how to spell it, LOL) and because people eat so many of these chemicals, most prominently HCFS, it delays their brain being able to send the "message" that it's full, usually not till another five-ten minutes later.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Sugar and sloth.

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

It's funny how you hear about a study/survey that has findings which suggest people do one thing and then a few months later a new survey comes out telling people to do the exact opposite, one of which was conducted using biased research funded by a big company looking to keep up its profits.

Additionally, it cannot be underscored enough how much a role advertisers play in controlling the media. For example, I'm pretty sure HEB, Kroger, Wal-Mart, McDonald's and other food providers advertise in the Houston Chronicle (as merely one example). These companies that sell food items probably have a significant amount of money invested in the Chronicle and probably don't want certain ideas floating in the minds of consumers who read the articles.

This will lead the Chronicle, particularly the head honchos (both Hearst and the execs of the paper), to frown on much exposure to problems in the food industry and research that would go against those who create and sell processed food. Even if a writer, knowing it may affect his/her salary, wanted to do the right thing, they could easily be overridden by their editor or people above him/her. It could even lead to the possibly of causing that writer to get fired.

Would you risk your livlihood to do the right thing? The noble thing would be to say yes but people may have bills to pay (hell, who doesn't?) and children to raise. So in all likelihood, you wouldn't unless prepared for the consquences.

Think this is far fetched? Look at how the phenomenon of factory farming is glossed over in this article from the Chronicle a few months back.

http://www.chron.com/life/healthzone/article/Rice-engineers-have-found-a-way-to-control-4269011.php

Bwahahahahahahaha! That's how they phrased factory farming? Obviously they weren't going to describe the many horrors of it but they barely mention it and use vague terminology to keep the average person in the dark on how their food is being raised, which hasn't been on "Old McDonald's Farm" for a very long time.

This is a clear illustration of the point I'm making.

12. heypartner

He's not going to tell us, because he is a sloth, apparently.

13. heypartner

btw: has anyone pointed out the chopsticks suck when eating food efficiently.

This might be a fork issue.

And why are they called "chop sticks" that makes no sense whatsoever.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To answer this question, maybe we have to look at what makes all fat countries fat.

Most of the main countries plagued by this are US, the rich Arab countries, and Pacific islands.

For years I've wondered what these countries have in common and I've made a couple of estimations:

- Rapid influx of fast food with cheap ingredients.
    - Absence of good public transport system.
    - Sharp increase in spending ability of average resident.
    - Most of these countries have at least a warm climate.

I don't know how true those are or if there is anything else I'm not seeing, but I've always thought comparing these countries would reveal some concrete answers on how to attack obesity.

15. bigtexxx

The UK also has a problem with obesity, despite having a good public transport system and cold weather.

I think it's a combination of many factors:

1. a culture of dining out, where restaurants are incentivized to maximize food taste and size, not health. Calories are off the charts in many of these meals

2. Jobs requiring less activity. Office jobs rather than manufacturing jobs that require moving around

3. Availability of cheap, unhealthy food like fast food

4. A culture of acceptance of fat people. Some minorities in the US may be more accepting of obesity (e.g., blacks, Hispanics)?

5. A culture of enormous portion sizes and overeating

6. A shift from "active hobbies" such as playing sports, to "inactive hobbies" such as video games and web surfing.

I haven't seen enough specific evidence on the who genetic modification theme. I have a hunch the people screaming about that are just your classic "hate evil companies", "hate corporate profits" conspiracy theorists who can't back up their claims, and find it convenient (and lazy) to just hurl these allegations.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yes

Providing someone something they value is moral, not amoral.

The fault lies in ourselves for the choices we make and the things we choose to value. Or perhaps we value short term pleasure over long term health, and the choices are entirely in line with that mindset. To each his own.

One thing you notice is the treatment obesity as a defect of character, a lack of discipline and will, the two sins of gluttony (too many calories) and sloth (too little exercise). And so you see people who hate that they are fat, trying to deprive themselves of food, or making fat kids run laps.

And yet it all ignores the simple question of what makes us fat, biologically. How is fat tissue regulated in the body? What hormones matter? These questions are never asked, and we are just told to eat less and exercise more.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mIvj6HmHBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agree with most of this, except that it seems to me from all I have seen that the culture of acceptance of fat people is most certainly not limited to minorities.

18. bigtexxx

Oh sure, without a doubt it's not limited to minorities. I just question whether those two groups care less about it, as blacks and hispanics have much higher obesity rates than whites. Or it may indicate that the poverty element to obesity is quite strong.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/dsobesityadults/index.html

19. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I will have to say, as much I prefer not to be feeding a potential troll, that he's right in some ways. Black people since slavery developed a certain fattening cuisine that many are traditionally afraid to break free from if for no other reason than peer pressure.

I mean, seriously, why are people eating stuff that's almost pure fat like pigs feet and chittlins? It's certainly not for the taste. While is very far from true that all blacks eat like that there's still a passing down of cuisine where the food being consumed in a typical black household is very fattening and then on top of that usually fried.

Throw in the greater use of cars now days and the fast paced culture that makes us reliant on fast as well as processed food and this is what you get, in least in the black community.

And as I've said many times on this board, yes, I'm black.

20. bigtexxx

Do you think it's the pigs feet and chittlins that blacks are eating, or rather the more frequent trips to fast food establishments? My guess is probably the latter, as I haven't seen too many black folks eat pigs feet except on special occasions. And I do have a bit of knowledge of this, as my grandfather ran a butcher shop in an African American part of town where he lived.

I was actually getting away from diet more to simply an acceptance of fat people. Based on my own anecdotal observations, to me it seems blacks are more accepting of being overweight -- I mean the whole big is beautiful and big booty models isn't exactly a bunch of white women (no troll).