1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did the US get so fat over the last 25 years?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Excess food has to be refrigerated or re-constituted for long-term storage and durability; this entails manufacturing processes that a large portion of the world's countries will probably never, ever be able to afford to develop, retain or utilize profitably.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup. people are pretty much brainwashed these days on what to eat. No one really knows how to eat. Mass confusion from so many sources mixed in with biased research, and terrible advice by so called "nutritionists".

stupid advice example: "Oh your cholesterol and triglycerides are high? Then cut the eggs out and start eating cheerios!":rolleyes:

3. Nook

Nook Member

Over eating genetically modified foods that are overly processed and carbohydrate rich, in large portion sizes.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Why are people making these arguments that aren't specific to America?

Europeans eat plenty of carbs. They just eat far less food in general and walk everywhere.

Americans are fatter because we eat more than ever and have no way of burning all those calories off unless we workout like crazy. That's why you see people that are either muscular or fat, you have to be an athlete to burn off all we eat.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Food in America is really cheap -- you can buy massively sized high calorie meals everywhere -- especially in the frozen food section of your local grocery.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

When underfed people in true poverty across the world are more healthy than overfed poor people in the US, I would venture to say its more about the choices of food people buy.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Incredibly cheap high caloric food. But the big thing is very few people work demanding, labor intensive jobs. Not only that, less and less people even work jobs that require them to be on their feet at all. Americans probably burn 30% less calories in a day on average and eat 30% more calories in a day on average.

I've lost 25 lbs. recently. I ate plenty of high fructose corn syrup and round up ready corn in my corn flakes while I lost it. I just started being more active and eating WAY less calories (restricted to 1700 or less). Get a pedometer (and don't cheat). You'll be surprised at how sedentary you are.

We also don't eat enough vegetables. You can pretty much eat all the healthy prepared veggies you want. They fill you up and they are low calorie, even the "high calorie" veggies like carrots.

We also get a bad start in life. Kids sit on computers, play video games, etc instead of going outside and running around like idiots like they're supposed to.

#67 Supermac34, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Exercising has less to do with burning calories and more about giving you energy to get off the couch so you wouldn't be snacking all evening long.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

This is no one to blame but yourself. People overeat then get fat, plain and simple. You can have HFCS, ice cream, donuts, soda, or a box of hostess and not become obese. It's all about fitting the foods we love to eat within our Macros. Now I'm not saying go out there eat a box of nutty bars then go about your day eating like you would normally but, you have to FIT them in your daily allowance. Following a "perfect" diet routine will set anyone up for failure. Now would this be a healthy way to live? Of course not. You still have to make smart choices by eating nutritionally sound food and work out to help maintain a healthy weight. I find it funny when people try to lose weight and say, "it's what you eat." How about, "it's what you DON'T eat." Now putting on muscle is a whole different ball game but since we are talking about obesity here, that's all there really is to it unless you have some kind of underlying medical condition.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I blame computers, and to a lesser extent video games. More and more of our lives are spent sitting down.

I was 145 when I graduated college. I've been as high as 215 since. I sit at a desk for 8+ hours a day. I spend an hour sitting in my car driving every day. By the time I get home the last thing I want to do is to expend energy.

Honestly wish I had a part-time job at Wal-Mart again just so I could stay skinny.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

True, which goes along with my earlier point: The easiest, most convenient, tastiest and cheapest food choices available in America are the worst nutritionally. For obvious reasons, this is what our poor gravitate towards. These choices weren't available in such quantity 50+ years ago here and still aren't to the poverty stricken around the world.

It's a combination of availability, low price and bad choices mad by fat people.

Also agree with your other post. Sitting in leisure and being idle watching TV (or typing on a PC/tablet/phone) seems to give people more opportunity to think about food than if they were busy and active.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Too much Messican food???!?!? ;)

13. Anxiety Trooper

Good thing I'm not 'Murican:p

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is a false premise, malnourishment is completely real in the developing world and comes with a whole host of health problems that most Americans will never experience.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The obesity epidemic coincides with the moment the government decided to give people advice on what they should eat.

For example:

[​IMG]

even today they still push incredibly unhealty diets. For example:

[​IMG]

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, it's the government's fault.

17. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

No, it's your fault.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

overeating
    rise of microwavable foods

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

So what do you attribute Americans eating far less healthy for the last 25 years to? aliens?

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Reminds me of the fatties that blamed McDonald's for becoming obese because of them 30cent? cheeseburgers. They just HAD to ruin it for everybody. Wasn't cool at the time either.(fed a broke HS kid lol)