1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did the US get so fat over the last 25 years?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

They provide value to the customer. Nothing amoral about that.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Like we stopped buying sweatshop clothing, oil from terror-sponsoring countries or gold and diamonds from apartheid South Africa? Food is a far greater necessity than any of these things and grocers, manufacturers and consumers are not going to stop buying it based on what's on the box.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

cliffnotes reason why

[​IMG]

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

montreal has a lot of skinny people and a lot of disgusting food. a surprising amount of bicurious boys and girls. maybe it's something in the water.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

So do healthy, energetic and compliant young slaves, sexual and otherwise.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Where should I begin? Everything we are told to eat is a lie pushed by companies and markets that are out to make money.

• Cereal/grain industry pushing us to eat a gazillion grams of grains a day.
    • Sugar is in EVERYTHING. I can't eat a fking a slice of bread without seeing high fructose corn syrup.
    • Artificial sugars that have desensitized us to natural foods like fruits.
    • Beverage industry telling us we need to drink Gatorade, orange juice and vitamin water.
    • Lack of activity yet over consumption of refined foods.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

In 2009, the U.S. federal government paid $12.3 billion to America's farmers. Even as farmers profit from increased demand, the government remains a major player in the food business.

The Atlantic has put together a list of the top nine products that the government most heavily subsidizes:

Corn
    Wheat
    Soybeans
    Rice
    Beer
    Milk
    Beef
    Peanut Butter
    Sunflower Oil

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...s-the-us-government-is-paying-you-to-eat.aspx

<embed width="576" height="324" src="http://media.nbclosangeles.com/assets/pdk449/pdk/swf/flvPlayer.swf?pid=RnjJO5XQk0DR" flashvars="v=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbclosangeles.com%2Fi%2Fembed_new%2F%3Fcid%3D163795096%26path=%2F%2Fnews%2Flocal"allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" /> <p style="font-size:small">View more videos at: <a href="http://nbclosangeles.com/?__source=embedCode">http://nbclosangeles.com</a>.</p>

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...no-Santa-Monica-Farmers-Market-163814616.html

9. YourSecretLover

The invention of the automobile/car.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Say what? For the purpose of their own bottom line, they provide what people are willing to pay for whether it's good or harmful for the buyer/consumer. Do you know what amoral means?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Everyones body and lifestyle are different, so there is no one major culprit except: Over consumption.

Corn syrup, fast food, steroids, blah blah blah ect..ect..ect.. all add to the problem, but simply put, we over eat junk. Yes, poverty is a problem, but it isn't the main problem.

Order a salad? Add 500 calories of ranch dressing.
    Order a steak? Cover it with butter and steak sauce.
    Order a potate? Fill it with cheese and sour cream.
    Need caffine? Order a latte.

As Americans, we have redefined "quality" by taste rather than nutrition. One of the complaints I hear about Europe is the food is too bland, and its often fat Americans.

We have all seen the largely obese people get their stomachs stapled and drop their weight in half. In a few months, the feel and look much better. It certainly wasn't the "only salad diet" that did the trick.

Also, its just too acceptable to be overweight. In my skinny days, I was still conscious about my weight. Now I've had to pretty much eliminate sodas to keep the weight from coming on. I care about my health and I think more people should care about their own too, as opposed to the "its just who I am".

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It doesn't hurt that the diet/weight loss industry is a billion dollar business so its good for them if most of the country is fat and always looking for the new fad way to lose weight.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Portion sizes are huge. Everybody eats to be full. When they're full, it's harder to do active things.

Eat till you're satisfied. Not full.

Also, I'd like to see some studies that say HFCS and genetically modified food are bad for you. Everyone likes to point the blame at something made in labs, but they follow scientific protocol and that's how you'll find answers.

From what I understand, HFCS is just significantly sweeter than regular glucose, and therefore people crave it more, ingesting more calories. It's not actually HFCS that is causing obesity, but rather people eating too much of it.

14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cheap food, cars, and lazy fat asses.

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the necessity to force ourselves into the over-pursuit of capital while not being conscious of the cycle. so we keep slipping further and further into it.

work, make money, save money, eat cheap, eat cheaper, get fatter. work again. life is okay.

17. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

This. These high grain low fat "heart healthy" diets are the cause. The human diet should be higher fat and protein. Healthy fats from oils and grass feed meat. Also the invention of sugary breakfast cereals play another big factor. Other countries dont eat fruity pebbles and sugary orange juice and call it breakfast.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You guys crying about poverty makes no sense

The US is one of the wealthiest countries on earth. If poverty played into it, then other countries would be way fatter.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's not that simplistic. In poor countries, there isn't an abundance of very cheap junk food anywhere and everywhere. When it comes to diet, poverty has a completely different effect in the U.S. than in Africa, ISC, southeast Asia, etc.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, because while that profitably can disappear with one bad winter or several consecutive good harvests; the demand for food and fundamentally destructive impacts on security, crime and social stability if farmers curtailed their supply in line with economics will never diminish.