1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did Pallilo ever co-exist with Lord?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

Rich Lord annoys me more than any other sports radio personality in Houston. Lord isn't even in the same stratosphere as Pallilo when it comes to sports information. Pallilo seems to enjoy having his own show.

I never had the good fortune to listen to these two when they had their afternoon radio show on 610, but I have a hard time imagining Pallilo not gritting his teeth when Lord opened his mouth. How did these guys co-exist?

2. Nick

Nick Member

What's even funnier is that when 610 started, and Lord was paired with Kenny Hand, LORD seemed like the smart one.

But, its clear that in this internet age, Lord is severely behind the times with his takes, his knowledge of stats, and his overall grasp on the world of sports beyond the "what happened last night in houston, as reported on the local news or in this morning's paper."

Pallilo can clearly carry a show better than Lord... but he also would be better suited if he had a co-host who was just as knowledgable, but had a better personality... sort of like Mike and the Mad Dog.

Imaging Lord hosting a show by himself is a nightmare I hope to never have to experience.

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Member

Charlie would always spout out straightfoward opinionated sports crap, but good opinionated sports crap. Lord would sit around talking about the girls pictures in the locker room of sportsradio610.com and talk about the one time he dropped the f-bomb.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You obviously must have missed out on "The Kenny Hand Hour" which was that visual to the 10th degree.

*Shudders*

5. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

The afternoon show on 610 with Lord and "the voice" is bad. Neither one of them really know anything. Pallilo kills them. The morning show on 610 is pretty solid John and Lance are good. Matt and Adam pretty good at night, on 790 their night programming is awful IMO. Carl Dukes is an idiot and their FOX Sports national stuff is bad. Other than Palillo's show 610 is still better if you want local. If you want national 790 is prettty good with Mike and Mike, and Colin Cowherd is also good. Rome is way better than Dan Partick, however.

6. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Ya Lord is pretty bad. He knows houston sports stuf fairly well, but that is IT.

7. mbiker

mbiker Member

I liked listening to Lord and Pallilo. They seemed to offset each other pretty well. Pallilo was always serious and uptight, and needed Lord to lighten things up a little. The chemistry between Lord and Vandermeer just does not work though. The show is just not entertaining. Neither of them are that knowledgeable on sports topics, and both of them deviate away from sports talk too much.

Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler are by far the best show on 610, but they are on after 6:00pm. The 610 ratings would go up if they would switch Jackson and Wexler’s timeslot with Lord Vandermeers.

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

I find myself flip-flopping back and forth during the drive home.

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

At least neither of them are as bad as Ed Fowler was. Listening to the dude talk was painful. Sounded like he was always talking with food in his mouth or something.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They co-existed because Pallilo dominated the conversation. He would interrupt and talk over Lord at will. We can now clearly see CP was carrying the guy while at the time I thought CP was just a rude, arrogant "know it all".

CP has really matured since moving to 790. His still likes to hear himself talk somewhat but he's finally learned to be a bit more patient and allow callers to make their points, even when they are way off base. In the past, everything to him was just a debate of point vs. counterpoint where he would try to win every argument. I still think he needs either a co-host or some sideline to help carry the show. The best sideline in radio is the "Spanning the Globe" segment by Colin Cowpatch. It's the only part of his usually sorry show that I consistently listen to.

610 needs to dump Granato and Lord. Lance is OK and MVD isn't going anywhere while he's employed by the Texans. At least MVD is slowly improving. Maybe he would improve faster with a better partner.

11. A-Train

A-Train Member

I think there should be a separate forum specifically designated for people to complain about Houston sports talk radio...

12. macalu

macalu Member

i've always found Pallilo to be a very prepared and the most informative radio sports personality. the guy's descriptions and metaphors are spot on. i'd rather listen to him all day than callers. he's straightforward and will call you out if what you've said was silly (you know, like all the stupid trade ideas in GARM).

13. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Member

Those "Hand-Job" interviews from 2p-3p in the afternoon weren't bad..... Heck, at least it was better than One on One Sports.

If you really want names from the past on 610....... Remember the 610 Scoreboard with Michael P. Davis???? How about the schizo time when Russ Small was on 610 mornings? Or Tony "I love Detroit" Ortiz as the fill-in host/ update guy with Rich and Kenny???

14. Faos

Faos Member

You got that right. The other day some caller brought up Tila Tequila and neither guy had any idea who she is.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Listening to those 2 was like listening to Pinky and the Brain. I'll leave you to figure out which one I considered the Brain. :)

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A brick would be more entertaining to listen to than Kenny Hand.... combining him with Rich Lord is inhumane to the audience. :(

Didn't he used to host some of the Rockets postgame shows? Man, he sounded like he didn't even want to be there. At least I think it was him hosting those shows way back when...

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! I used to cringe when he said his name "Ed Fowgurglegurgleler". The guy used to vomit his words and was cranky as hell.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And for my 4th consecutive post...

I'm gonna get some hate for this, but if there was a show that was worse than Rich Lord and Kenny Hand, you'd have to go somewhat old school :

Anita Martini and Mike Edmonds. That ... was ... painful.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Member

THat was another fat man you'r thinking of, name escapes me...I think he took over for Hannah Storm when she left.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time about Richly Incompetent Lord (and I really hope he reads this thread), I CANNOT believe he gets paid to talk sports, I still vividly remember him arguing with CP a long time ago that Jordan was picked ahead of Hakeem, "No way that we passed up Jordan"...sheesh, any freakin' dude you walk up to at the Summit back then could have told about that 84' draft. Listening to Lord is like listening to the Houston music stations, bland, boring, nothing new or exciting.

Ok, I met that guy once and he was a total prick, so maybe that's why I like badmouthing him.

As for CP, I'd like to see him pair up with Matt Adams, but then again Adam Wexler and Matt already have good chemistry.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think the guy you guys are talking about was named tony ortiz, he had a short stint with wexler on 610 before wex left and came back.