1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did Kenny Thomas force the Rockets to trade him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, May 24, 2003.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I've heard that from repeated places. What exactly did he do?

2. knucklehead3321

he was not happy about drafting yao ming at the begining of the season his locker was by yao's and he asked that his locker be moved he would not talk to yao his mantality was that its only another frontcourt player for him to have to igve up playing time for

3. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

If thats the truth then the Rockets did right by tradind him. Thats selfish and god knows the Rockets have their hands full with selfish players.

4. CrazyJoeDavola

Where did you hear that from? I do not believe that KT "forced" a trade.

KT was traded for very simple reasons. 1) He was one of the few tradeable commodoties on our team that could help us bring something in return that will fill a hole (i.e. Posey at the 3). 2) Our PF situation was not fair to anyone (KT, EG and MT) and someone had to go (Rocks didn't want to trade EG because of his potential and MT was practically untradeable). 3) Although KT was a trooper about the whole situation, the Rockets knew he was in a contract year and that if KT was not given the player time that he felt he deserved, he might start to rock the boat if forced to share the PF mins with EG and KT (i.e. lets not let it get to the point where KT becomes a malcontent (not that he would have). Preventative measures. :)

I loved KT and hated to see him go (best defender on the team), but it worked out for everyone (Phillly, Rockets, Posey and Thomas).

5. knucklehead3321

i heard that from a person who works inside the rockets i dopnt wanna reveal who it dont wanna get them in trouble

6. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

All the accounts I've heard/read are that he was very unhappy about being traded...

7. Grydian

Grydian Member

I also heard that about the locker thing back when the season started. Kenny just is way too imature to be in a professional field. People change jobs all the time. Its obvious he is just not mentaly ready for the kind of life style that is the nba. I will be suprised if his personal life doesn't mess up his skills over time. Its the head on his sholders that is his worst enemy

8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Member

There was a post 2-3 months ago about someone running into K.T in a bar somewhere East, and when asked about the Rockets, he supposedly dropped multiple F-bombs to clearly demonstrate his level of animosity toward the team.

I don't know if he was angry about the trade or a perception that maybe he was promised one thing when drafted and the reality of his tenure and eventual trade perhaps burst his bubble.

I still think it was a mistake to trade him instead of E.G. K.T. was the PERFECT compliment to Yao:

Hustle, rebounding, tenacious D, and not too many bad shots (maybe more shots than necessary, but he like Cat could have shot less as Yao developed...).

Having K.T. on the court would likely have meant a difference of at least 2-3 games which obviously would have put us in the playoffs and Rudy would still be here...

That trade totally screwed us up and now there's no guarantee that we can resign Posey...

9. verse

verse Member

Rockets-R-Us,

there was no guarantee would could have resigned kt either. he is a free agent this summer.

10. Yetti

Yetti Member

KT. didnt force a Trade, he wanted to stay with the Rockets. The Rockets traded one of their selfish players to make room for Eddie Griffin and Mo Taylors playing time. The story about the locker brings a taste of disgust!

11. codell

codell Member

KT was not a selfish player. Not sure where you got that from. You are either misinformed, gullible or are not able to interpret what you see on the court.

12. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Kenny was working within his ability and the system. We got Posey, he was a better fit for us and KT for Philly. WIN-WIN

Codell, I couldn't reply in the other closed thread. Thanks. That's a pretty appropriate 1500...

I owe you a signature... Lay it on me :(

13. codell

codell Member

Exactly. Trade was good for everyone involved. I am tired of seeing people bad mouth KT.

Ill think up a signature for ya over the next few weeks. Ill go easy on ya. Don't bring it back up and i will probably forget about it. The satisfaction of winning is really enough for me (although the fact that the Spurs were that much better than the Rockets was a lil disheartning).

14. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Hey Codell, about those Astros... ;)

I am flabbergasted but the Rocks could learn a lesson on total team play from them... They truly overacheive as a group.

15. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

You know, about the whole "moving locker" thing... I'd want to move my locker away from Yao's too. If there's one place you could guarantee that there'll be a media scrum, that's it. Perhaps KT just wanted a bit of space.

16. heypartner

heypartner Member

exactly Bailey.

I would have asked to have my locker moved, too. Who freaking wouldn't?

Some people just jump to enormous conclusions, and like codell said, they are most likely just very gullible or can't interpret what they see on the court.

17. heypartner

heypartner Member

Yeah, he's immature enough about his changed job to rip a starting position and more PT from playoff veterans on a team coached by Larry Brown...who fields only mature players who play defense and don't fart around.

So, how do you rank Maurice's pot head above his shoulders regarding being mentally ready for the kind of like style that is the nba.

18. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Member

man, with the hustle POSEY plays, ill trade KT anytime for him.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Member

What exactly does that mean?

No one hustled more than KT.

No one was asked to change more and did so willingly for the team than KT.

Absolutely no one on the team worked harder than KT.

If you don't like the style of play then fine but if you knocked KT's hustle on the court or work ethic then you obviously did not watch the games or keep up with the team very closely when KT was still here.

20. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Member

he is the only rocket i know who was tripped and laid down on the floor but still be the first player to be back for defense.. i didnt think kt would ever do that..