1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did Delfino not have an offer better than 1yr/$3mil+team option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 6, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I must admit I had no idea who the hell he was before signing, but the guy is exactly what you'd expect from a generic role player. He shoots the 3 well(although struggling a bit this year), rebounds well for a perimeter player. Has some passing skills. Average defender.

But it seems like these guys get paid a lot more. I mean, Lee got 4yr/$21.5mil from the Celtics. Is Delfino THAT much of a dropoff from Lee? I know Lee's younger, but everyone knows he had reached his potential. No wonder Morey traded Budinger and Lee rather than paying them. If you just keep finding Delfinos of the world, you never run out of plug-and-play role players.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

delfino's got some kinda swagger i can't describe

1 person likes this.
  3. Jet036

Jet036 Member

definition of moneyball my friend

4. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

That's Moreyball in motion.
    Believe
    [​IMG]

5. rawool

rawool Member

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he went full r****d kobe mode too often from what I watched

However he's fitting in well as a role player for us which is a huge surprise to me.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

9. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Lee is a better defender and more athletic so he contributes more on both ends of the field.. 15M more? (if delfino's option is taken up), probably not.

Delfino is actually a lights out shooter, he just tries to do too much sometimes unfortunately.. We could really do with less hero-ball isolations

10. lfw

lfw Rookie

Delfino was the spark that got Houston going early in the game versus the Lakers. All of the starters started so cold that they were getting a little tenative to shoot. Not Delfino. He doesn't give a ****. Delfino has no conscience.

Step back 3? Why the hell not? Jack it.

Handling the ball on the pick and roll and finds a little space? Jack it.

Open 2 feet behind the 3 point line for a spot up jumper? Jack it.

I bet as soon as his mom gave birth to him and he saw a sliver of daylight, he jacked up a shot.

Delfino is so confident in jacking up his shots, he inspired Tony Douglas that game.

Carlos Delfino is never scared.

5 people like this.
  11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't the Pacers sign Gerald Green to a decent contract after 1/2 a season of average play with the crappy Nets? I don't know if there were anyone else this offseason. But it seems every offseason there's this role player with a career shooting year getting big bucks. Only to disappear into oblivion afterwards.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't every player do that early in the season? It did take a while for our offense to get in sync.

Since he's back, Delfino's shot selection looked much better. Even in the Lakers game, he shot more because everyone else was bricking than trying to be a hero. Still huge +/- that game despite crappy shooting.

13. FearTheBeardJH

His career TS% is .514. He would not be in rotation on championship team.

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Carlos Delfino is a better mans Kyle Korver. I love Delfino. He's the dragon slayer of our team. He is what 30 years old? I love his confidence level about never hesitating on shooting.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I believe Asik is the reason we got Delfino, they shared the same agent. I don't think any of us knew he was on the radar of Morey until he was signed.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He's exactly what a team like the lakers would need to come off their bench! I'm glad he's not though! He fits on a contender!

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since when is someone who shoots 40% OVERALL considered lights out????

18. nbafever

nbafever Member

Delfino is the leader of our bench brigade.

Aside from his shooting, we rely on him for playmaking. Watch him when the 2nd unit comes in. As long as Harden is not in, Delfino is the one who initiates the play, not TD. TD just hands the ball to him and stands in a corner.

I also like the fact he has embraced his veteran role. Before he got injured, he was often finding Morris on his passes and encouraging him to shoot. Now he's doing the same thing with Greg Smith.

We were able to get him because of his relationship with Sampson. They were together in MIL.

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

It is because most of his shots are from beyond the arc... Indeed, Delfino has a slightly better shooting rate than Harden...
    Delfino: 2-Point FG% - 46%; 3-Point FG% - 34%
    Harden: 2-Point FG% - 45%; 3-Point FG%- 33%

20. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Why do think you he better version of Korver?

Korver has 0.414 3pt career shooting average vs Delfino's 0.361 3pt.

Here comparison last seasons #.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...m=1&p1=korveky01&y1=2012&p2=delfica01&y2=2012