1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How come there are not more Iranian players drafted?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Aug 11, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just watching the finals of Asian Championships

Finals is a match up between the Philippines vs Iran

Iran is dominating with Haddadi in the middle.
    China did not make it into the Semis or Finals this time.

3rd Place game is between South Korea vs Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol wtf China lost to Taiwan

hehehe derped so hard

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You're judging talent based on the Asian Championships...

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really. China with Yao Ming was a former Top 8-Top 12 in the World.
    Just saying.
    Iran could gain some glory too.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just trying to talk some Asian hoops here

6. dragician

dragician Member

Iran is dominating because half of the Philippine roster is playing with one leg - injured.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Big difference between Yao Ming....and Haddadi...

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it is a state department rule. Same reason suppresses the amazing talent out of DPRK.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Haddadi is terrible. My lord, I watched him with the Suns this year, and even before that, he lacks the necessary skills to be in the NBA.

to answer your question though, I don't think it has to do with ethnicity or country. It has to do with being "NBA-ready." Even if those guys dominate their leagues, they get crushed in the NBA.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It's the Asian championship. Iran isn't even a top 20 national team in the world. They generally get blown out when they aren't facing Asian or African teams.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why aren't there more players form Greenland!

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

China lost to South Korea too.
    Also. Wtf @ OP basing potential NBA talent on the FIBA ASIAN Championships?

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah except Haddidi or whatever his name is, is about as good of a player as Ha Seung Jin was in the NBA. Terrible, waste of roster space and should never be allowed to step foot on an NBA court.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

From what my mom told me (yes I know), China is no good because they are all tall young kids with no experience. Taiwan beat them because they are all veteran guards + this one 6'8 black guy from California, went to Tulane, his name is Quincy something. Wasn't even a standout NCAA player. Interesting story, he's been playing over in Taiwan for some time now and was allowed to play for their national team because he renounced his USA citizenship and received an expedited naturalization to China/Taiwan. So he can't even come back to the US anymore except with a Visa, and even then only for protracted periods of time. Sucks for him I guess. On the plus side, NO US TAXES HELL YEA...

Someone told me the IRS doesn't hound you if you are an ex-pat making less than $250k a year. But if you are one of those mega-millionaires, you better believe they'll come after you. What a lot of them try to do, in return, is to also renounce their US citizenship, then go live in Singapore or somewhere else higher tech than the US (sorry, 'Merica, you're no longer #1). In those cases, the US gets pissed and will NEVER allow you within its borders again, aka no Visas granted. This has happened to that guy who was the #2 facebook founder (the narrator in the facebook movie if you watched that), and I also believe some actors like Tom Cruise were considering it before chickening out. I believe it's also what happened to DiCaprio's character in the movie Inception.

15. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

haddadi was a awesome player before he came to the nba

most of the player when come to the nba their playing style rise but haddadi was inverse

but he was main reason of our lost to the suns last season and he is 3time asia championship mvp

i think he has the potential to become a normal player in nba bit he was unlucky

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Snowden maybe?

17. NotChandlerParsons

If you're an expat making over a certain amount (something over $100k I forget) you are expected to pay income tax unless you live outside the US for a number of years (again I forget). It's pretty annoying.

18. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

The Filipino team seemed to really lack size. Haddadi could get get rebounds without jumping.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The Philippines just couldn't handle that big mofo. All he had to do was set a pick and run to the basket. It was comical.

Haddadi moves like someone broke all the bones in his legs and set them backwards. Truly an awkward individual.

20. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Why aren't there more players from Madagascar? Why?