1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can we effectively judge Assistant Coach candidates?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emcitymisfit, May 7, 2011.

1. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

With all the talk of Mario Elie, Sam Cassel, Dwayne Casey, Budenholzer, Frank, etc, what criteria are posters using to identify qualities they believe these men to hold? Through association with their head coaches/teams, or merely through speculation?

What would make Budenholzer or Lawrence Frank a better candidate in someone's eyes than Woodson, Van Gundy, or either Brown, for instance -- three guys who, depending on who you believe, the Rockets have legitimate interest in?

I'm just curious as to where a lot of you guys are coming from, judging known unknowns over known knowns?

2. Raven

Raven Member

It's a smokescreen, Morey and Les know who they want.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sampson coached OU and they suck, therefore, he would suck as a coach.

Mario and Sam, I know nothing of their coaching style, but I know they have both been players in great winning systems and were effective within those systems. Being around winning helps the case for me, but there is so much more to coaching than what I've said about them. Side note, they could teach our players a thing or two about creating memorable celebrations. Muwah. Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion.

Mike Brown won more games last year in the regular season than any other coach. I'd say that's pretty impressive. They had Lebron, but Lebron is on a team with much better cast and winning less games. Cleveland is absolutely terrible today. If he can win with bad players, he can definitely win with our squad full of good-not-great pieces.

Ultimately, I think the brass are looking to make a player or two on this team go from good to great. I have no idea who has that kind of ability.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Inexperienced coaches are really hit or miss. You can get the next Tom Thibedeau or you can get the next Lawrence Frank (lets not sugarcoat it, he was ****).

I think that it depends on the experience really.

In terms of assistant coaches, you see the resumes. How long have they been involved in basketball (NBA)? Former player or not a former player (the type of player which they were)? Which coach(es) did they work for? What role did they play for their squads? How high do the head coach(es) regard the assistant?

Take a guy like Casey for example. He coached for 5 years in Japan and led the Japanese National Team (along with Pete Newell) to their first World Championship appearance in 31 years. He has had a short stint as a head coach and did a solid job (got fired at 500 with a Minny team which had KG but Ricky Davis as the second best player). He was an assistant in Seattle under George Karl and Nate McMillan (two of the better coaches in this league) and has been spending the past several years as an assistant under Rick Carlilse (another highly regarded coach in this league). Carlilse has been constantly praising him in the media, he gets alot of credit for some of the more effective defensive sets for the Mavs. That resume is the reason as to why he has been getting alot of attention.

Budenholzer in San Antonio. Another guy who was not a former player (not in the NBA, did play internationally), has no experience as head coach but been with the San Antonio Spurs for 17 years. He has been constantly receiving praise by one of the best coaches in the game, Gregg Poppovich. One of the most highest regarded assistant coaches in the game which is why he has been receiving alot of attention.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know about anyone else, I primarily judge them by the color of their skin.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You don't normally, but you're getting underneath my skin.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Penis size, primarily...

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sadly, I think one of the chief reasons that fans use to determine what makes a good coach is the level of animation on the sidelines, or whether or not the coach looks "into the game" or not. If they're screaming and yelling a lot on the sidelines or barking at their team and pointing to a clipboard during timeouts, people assume they must be good coaches. Example, since Mike Brown's assistants talked a lot during timeouts, then he can't be a good coach, no matter what his team's record is. If a coach sits on the sidelines a lot, he also probably isn't a good coach (only Phil is immune to this criticism apparently). This is why guys like Lawrence Frank are assumed to be good coaches even when their teams lose a lot. It also helps to have that "workaholic" reputation. Doesn't matter if you know how to relate to players, as long as you put in a lot of hours, fans will think you're a good coach.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

By their performance after they're hired as head coach.

10. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

I don't really see your point. Better Preperation = Better results, thats why being a 'workaholic' is a desiorable trait.

11. University Blue

For me, an assistant coach candidate's first names needs to be "Brad;" last name "Stevens."

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That's naive. Perhaps you've never heard of the saying "work smarter, not harder". If the players don't buy in to what you're selling, it doesn't matter how many hours you put in. There aren't any secrets at this point on how to effectively play basketball. What separates good from bad coaches is talent above all, and then whether or not players will listen to what you have to say.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is insane and I wish you'd just give this up. He's not leaving Butler to come here, and he's certainly not leaving Butler to go anywhere as an assistant coach.

14. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

we just can't!

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you may be on to something here. Let's pick our next coach by gender. I'm thinking hot babe type. Considering our results, how much more would you have enjoyed watching the last 10 years of Rockets with say Erin Andrews manning the bench instead of RA, JVG and RT. We would definitely lead the league in post game interviews.