1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can people protest Clinton speaking...?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrianKagy, Feb 13, 2001.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

The CEO of Morgan Stanley Dean Whitter is having to apologize for paying Bill Clinton $100,000 for a speaking engagement after Clinton left office.

WTF?

What is the problem with that...? The man's a private citizen now. He's not a child molestor or Nazi, for Chrissakes-- I'd have no problem with my employer paying him to speak. I'd be interested in hearing it so I could find out just how many times a man can be wrong in one hour.

Stockholders have a right to protest any company action they dislike, but I think this is a total overreaction.

Things like this and Martin Sheen's appraisal of George W. Bush as a "moron" don't do much to elevate the national discourse.

------------------
    "Corpses are icky."

--Chris Robinson

2. Timing

Timing Member

I wish someone would pay him $100k to have him explain to us what the meaning of the word IS is.

------------------
    Relax... kids swallow quarters all the time. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel then start worrying!" -Grumpier Old Men

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"He's not a child molestor"

You would think he was by the way he's been vilified.

Brian,

Its made things quite interesting around here to say the least.

There has been some major in-house playing within MSDW in the last couple of weeks because of this. Without being able to really discuss what's up, lets just say some major heads have rolled.

But I agree with you!

The protesting has come mainly from individuals not institutions.

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nope, you would think he is the mass-murdering, drug-dealing second coming of Hitler the way he has been villified. What will the poor Republicans do now that their whipping boy is not the President any longer?

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Basically, this is just damage control. MSDW had Clinton speak at a function. Many of the company's customers dislike Bill Clinton, and as a result, pulled their accounts. MSDW is trying to salvage something from this by apologizing, hoping that investors who have been considering pulling out are persuaded to stay. BK is right about this probably not being the best way to approach the damage control, however. Note that it hasn't just been individuals either. Corporations have pulled back too. The fact is that regardless of whether you agree with Clinton or not, having such a controversial figure is usually not a good idea for a major speech, especially less than a month after Clinton left office.

This could be interesting though. Oracle has Clinton speaking at a keynote soon as well.

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Gee whiz, Brian. I guess you should have enrolled in Bob Jones University after all! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's pretty sad that people have to let political differences get in the way of real life jobs/hobbies like public speaking. Clinton hasn't gone around ripping the Republican party, he actually hasn't made a big deal about the election publically since it didn't involve him. I don't know about spinning lies about the election, I'm pretty sure Clinton is laughing his *** off at Gore right now! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

Absolutely. That was just the one guy I saw interviewed on a local station.

As the saying goes though, $300K here, $300K there, and pretty soon you are talking about real money.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Am I the only person who still likes Pitino?

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Didn't Rick Pitino win an Atlantic division championship with the Knicks? His run with the Celtics were forgettable, but he was at least a decent coach.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man Kagy, I'm getting scared. We agree on the Clinton pardon and this.

------------------
    "Knickerbocker Please!"
    visit www.swirve.com, coming January 20th, the top 10 films of 2000!
    http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That little fart really said that? Does anybody know that Martin Sheen did a cameo a few years back in "A Letter From Death Row", a God-awful movie directed by and starring Bret Michaels (the lead singer of Poison!)? That's right, BRET FREAKING MICHAELS! Not sure what that has to do with him calling Bush a moron, but...BRET MICHAELS? Be sure to laugh in his face if you ever run into the guy.

------------------
    "My hair's too long and you can't pronounce my name
    My favorite songs, everybody says are lame"

14. Steve_Francis_rules

[​IMG]

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yes. [​IMG]

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

16. Curly

Curly Member

Kagy, like Clinton would have a speaking engagement in the factory....get back on the line. [​IMG]

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

[This message has been edited by Curly (edited February 13, 2001).]

17. dc sports

dc sports Member

The protests were related to the pardon of Mark Rich.

Clinton's pardoned keeps Rich from having to face more than 50 counts of racketeering, wire fraud, income tax evasion, and illegal oil trading with Iran. Rich was also convicted of evading taxes -- $48 million worth -- the biggest tax fraud case in history.

Many Morgan Stanley Dean Whitter customers complained, saying that Clinton, who just forgave one of the biggest securities fraud criminals of all time, shouldn't be speaking to people who they trust with their money.

MSDW is taking it very seriously because they had a number of customers protest in the most obvious way -- by pulling their accounts. Channel 2 spoke with one man who pulled his $300K worth of stocks and moved it to another company.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

DC $300K is chump change to Morgan.

But your right its all about perception.

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Damn straight, Brian. Who the **** gives a flying **** whether or not the guy makes $100K for a speaking engagement. Rick Pitino makes nearly that much and he was one of the worst coaches in NBA history!

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You have a nasty mouth for a vegeterian-liberal guy. [​IMG]

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown