1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how bout them Pacers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by akuma, Nov 12, 2013.

1. akuma

akuma Member

they were already the real deal last year, but i think they're going to give every team problems this season. they actually play hard defense from all 5 positions and all their starters are solid (Hill, West) or All-Star caliber (George, Hibbert, Stephenson). George, Stephenson and Hibbert are excellent rebounders for their positions too. their bigs, Hibbert and West (and Scola) can also stretch the floor. George, Stephenson and Hill all shoot well over 40% from three at high volumes. their bench is deep too with additions of Scola and Lou Watson so they don't have to overplay their starters. and if Granger comes back and is anywhere near what he was...

they seem to be well coached too. i think they're the most complete two way team i've seen in a long time (screw Miami). their only weaknesses might be free throws (hack a Stephenson) and back up center although they can go small with Scola. the Rockets aren't at their level. the Nets and Clippers (screw Paul too) aren't there either. the Spurs, Heat, Grizzlies and Thunder are worse than they were last year. Golden State has improved but they still don't play defense. the Bulls are the only wild card depending on Rose as well the health of their entire team when the playoffs start.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pacers winning streak counting

3. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

4. NotChandlerParsons

Will be rooting for Scola, but I'm so sick of hearing about Paul George and the Pacers play a terrible, watchable brand of basketball that I hate.

5. NotChandlerParsons

Unwatchable. I meant unwatchable.

6. Gil

Gil Member

They play a hideous brand of basketball.

7. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I actually like watching them play

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Pacers win with fundamental, tenacious defense. They game-plan to take away the areas of the floor most advantageous to offenses: Corners 3 and the paint. Their defensive rotations are very consistent and work play-after-player-after-play to the point other teams get discouraged.

Their offense is hideous. No argument from me. Part of the problem is George Hill has no business being a stater. Part of it is Vogel's lack of creativity. He reminds me of Mike Brown during his first stint with the Cavs. They should run more but securing the defensive rebound is a higher priority for Vogel.

Add in the Pacers depth and they win by smothering teams with defense and talent. Over 48 mins, it's hard to beat them.

9. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I really enjoy and appreciate good defense, they play great defense and I am a huge fan of lance Stephenson. The offense at times can be tough to watch but they are very good and I feel they can certainly win the east.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Come on now, they're playing well but some of those comments would be ludicrous even from Clyde. Stephenson isn't even an average starter, and the only team with multiple >40% volume 3 point shooters is Golden State.

#10 Aleron, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

best threat to the heat. 3 above avg scoring bigs, roster depth, and elite defense.

12. omgTHEpotential

Any guy that records a triple-double at age 23 is an all-star material.

13. akuma

akuma Member

Paul George: 40.4% 2.6 makes out of 6.5 attempts (he was 0 for 3 last night)
    Lance Stephenson: 51.4% 2.3 makes out of 4.4 attempts
    George Hill: 46.7% 1.4 makes out of 3.0 attempts (only 4 games though)

C.J. Watson is at 37.9% for his career, but he averaged just under 40% the last three years including 39.3% of 3.5 attempts in Chicago in 2012.

Danny Granger is at 38.4% of 4.7 attempts for his career, but he should have better looks this season since he's not the first or second option anymore (assuming he's healthy this year).

Lance Stephenson is currently averaging 14.3 points on 47.9% shooting, 5.9 rebounds and 5.8 assists a game. his triple double did bump up his averages a bit, but there are probably less than 3 SGs in the east that could or will put up a similar line like that or better this season. after Wade, Aaron Afflalo of the basement Magic and maybe Mayo, the SGs in the east really drop off. if he keeps up those numbers and the Pacers lead the league, he is going to the All-Star game.

14. pacertom

pacertom Member

I can imagine some ABC sports executive saying

"Hmmm, we are showing 6 Knicks games this year, six Lakers games, and the normal glut of Heat games. How many Pacers games do we have? Zero? Really?"

I don't find great defense unwatchable, but I am biased of course.

1 person likes this.
  15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They have a top 5 player in the league in Paul George (much better than Harden) who is also an elite defender. THen they have hard nosed players like West. Hibbert etc. Great coaching, good depth. All the qualities of a championship team

16. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Yea heat know how to stop the pacers... not even worried :rolleyes:

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There are multiple teams with guys above 40% right now, happens when you're a few games in, that's by no means even close to volume. Take a look the Pelicans, they have Morrow, Gordon and Holiday above 40, and that's without Anderson playing a game. Of those 3, Morrow is the only one who can realistically hold > 40% consistently. heck, Stephenson's three point percentage is higher than his 2 point % and his free throw percentage, lol

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Stephenson is playing his way into a big contract from the Bobcats.

19. pacertom

pacertom Member

Is Lance going to shoot 51% from 3 for the year? Probably not.

But this is his season-by-season progression on 3pt percentage:

0%
    13%
    33%
    51%

I think that the evidence is that he has worked REALLY HARD on a former major weakness and that ~40% in not out of the question.

20. pacertom

pacertom Member

Stephenson is playing his way into leaving nothing but a veterans minimum offer possible to give to Granger, as they offer ~8-9 mil/per to Lance and still stay under the luxury tax limit